Manual Uncoupler

What are you up to on your workbench
dougalmac2

Manual Uncoupler

Post by dougalmac2 »

Having noticed various forms of manual uncoupler at shows I decided I should have one. I found this torch in a local shop called 'Tiger, Copenhagen', also appears to be labelled as 'Flying Tiger'. (I have no connection).
I've bought 4 at the moment. Why? The torches are sold at £1 each, including 4 batteries. Spare batteries are 2 for £1 so its a no-brainer. The uncoupler is just a length of brass wire held on by cellotape and works for tensionlock and S&W which is all I have.
I'm also finding them handy in a number of other applications.

Mac
Admin4

Re: Manual Uncoupler

Post by Admin4 »

That looks like its really handy! i have made one similar just without the torch - the only trouble is its fairly small and i keep losing it :lol:

i added a bit of plasticard to the end of mine so i can lift both couplers at the same time which made it a bit easier to use.

i will keep my eye out for cheap LED torches as the added bulk might just stop me from losing it :lol:
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I made mine out of 2 pieces of white plasticard. It has a long leg with a foot sticking out at about 120degrees from it. there's a 1mm heel sticks out below the foot. I can use the heel to feel for the rail as I slide the foot beneath the two couplers. Once I "find the rail" it's a straight lift to raise the two couplers. There's enough light reflected of the top of the foot to see whats happening down in the gloom between the wagons. Great if I want to drop a wagon off at a random spot along the track. Think I've just split an infinitive, or what ever an ungrammatical sentence is called, it's 55yrs this week since I left school and the head of English was resigned to the science students' lack of respect for any language. He retaliated by talking to us it what he said was Cornish. Many years later I worked out he was. Now I've re read it I've done it twice.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Bufferstop,

You wouldn't have enough reflected light in my loft !
I use a torch and I can't believe how long the pair of Duracel batteries have lasted.
When the batteries fail it's for the bin as I superglued the rod with wire end to it.
I presume a LED torch will do much better, but we're at 3 years in and counting !!

Geoff T.