St. Blazey's Works and Depot

What are you up to on your workbench
End2end

Re: St. Blazey's Works and Depot

Post by End2end »

A couple of things I didn't mention was that I remounted the motor upside down then soldered the orange and grey wires this way up.
I mistakingly soldered them to the wrong motor connections. :?
Testing with the body off I realised this as it was going the wrong way on the track. :lol: So I just unsoldered them and swapped them over.
I used electrical tape to cover the pickups, the motor where it used to touch the pickups and the decoder and harness. I then taped the decoder down on top of the motor. Although It is stuck down with the black tack I wanted to make doubly sure it wasn't going to move.
I also added lead flashing for weight in both sides of the tank and some behind the motor mount, under the footplate stuck down with black tack and folded over to clear the coupler but giving me twice the weight.

I have a white lamp and white disk in my spares I may also add but need to have a look at them first because I've only just realised what they are. :lol:

Another question also popped up. What colour should the vacuum brakes be? I've seen some white ones but I'm not sure if they should just be black.
Also if you can answer any of the 2 previously posted questions please do. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I was looking at the link and I too wouldn't bother to solder the capacitors back as they will interfere with the DCC signal, so why someone has gone to the trouble of soldering them back in I dont know! I'm not sure the little red component is a capacitor like they say. It looks more like a resistive device? Is probably why the modern 0-4-0's run a little slower then they used to. Anyone know more?
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Regarding seats. Some locos did have seats that folded out and would spring back to the folded position, but there would normally be for long distance locos. The figures are general figures. Though they were meant to be included in many locos including many of the 0-4-0's, many that should have had them didnt. Out of all my 0-4-0's which were supposed to include the figures, only about one in four or one in three had them.
I dont know if the prototype had seats but I doubt it.

Regarding grease. You need a model railway grease. Someone said that the grease used for model helicopters is a similar product.
I have never needed to buy grease...I did have one loco which was packed with grease when new! It was a case where it needed to be cleaned out to stop grease getting into the motor commutator. It wasn't an 0-4-0. I can't remember what model loco it was now though! :D
End2end

Post by End2end »

I ended up adding 2 standing figures. As the footplate was still loose I decided to glue the figures to that first before reattaching it.
Big mistake. Because of the size of the tabs (well tab as I broke one off) of the footplate I couldn't refit it without having to break off the driver. :(
Then it was almost mission impossible trying to glue him back down again using a pair of tweezers, addding more glue with a toothpick. :evil:
I do think the bachmann figures look a little large but sod it... Rule Number 1 stands. :lol:
I have also glued a non-working lamp to the front of the loco in the middle above the buffer beam.
Apparently this means - Light engine or engine with one or two brake vans.

The last thing to do is add the vacuum PIPES once they have been painted (I was confused and kept calling them vacuum brakes :roll: ) and a little grease as mentioned previously.
Once I've installed them I will add some pictures of the finished project.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Here's the finished pictures of my Tolgus Tin loco with what I did to improve it, although I notice some paint needs touching up here and there.

First off I hardwired a decoder in using a 6 pin decoder and harness. Then I added some nice sizable lead flashing covered in electrical tape to stop any shorts to the inner sides of the tank and a little behind the motor mount which you cannot see in the pictures. All held in using black tack (more robust than blu-tac).

On the front of the loco I've painted the smokeboxdart in silver, painted and added a non working lamp and a vacuum pipe and painted the buffers black.
TTF1sm.jpg
TTF1sm.jpg (83.91 KiB) Viewed 3180 times
TTF3sm.jpg
TTF3sm.jpg (97.65 KiB) Viewed 3180 times
On the rear I've painted and added a vacuum pipe and painted the buffers black.
TTF4sm.jpg
TTF4sm.jpg (89 KiB) Viewed 3180 times
Inside the cab I added 2 Bachmann/Scenecraft 36-047 Locomotive Staff which I have weathered with a dry brush technique using black.
I also painted the plastic coal in the bunker with black to remove the plastic sheen.
(I do like this shot :D )
TTF7sm.jpg
TTF7sm.jpg (77.09 KiB) Viewed 3180 times
Another shot of the 2 figures.
TTF8sm.jpg
TTF8sm.jpg (79.1 KiB) Viewed 3180 times

More to follow.....
Last edited by End2end on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

I painted the inside rim of the 2 circular windows in gold and the chimney top and inside with black.
TTF9sm.jpg
TTF9sm.jpg (45.38 KiB) Viewed 3180 times
And that's it. :D
I'm glad that I only had to do this once though. Hardwiring such a small loco was a pain in the pick-ups. :o :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Well done. :) They are nice little locos. :)
8vchris

Post by 8vchris »

thats looks superb, excellent!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks for your comments members. :D
I want to add a little grease to make it run a little smoother but is this the stuff I need?
White Grease - Woodland Scenics Hob-E-Lube HL657
I'd like to buy it today if it is.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

I have been sorting out my 2 Dapol "Hannah Samwell" wagons today.
HannahSamwellWagon.jpg
HannahSamwellWagon.jpg (88.41 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
I don't remember but I think I used one of the Dapol WCHASS10 chassis's on one of these wagons so it didn't have a screw hole in the chassis to hold the plastic load in, so I had to drill down through the wagon bodies hole to make the corresponding hole in the chassis.

These wagons are a bit odd in the fact that, to hold it all together the plastic load has a vertical column underneath that the chassis screw screws up into.
I first had the idea to cut off and keep the column so I could use it to reassembled the wagon without most of the plastic load but then changed tack.
I completely got rid of the original load and have used thick blasa in it's place. The screw now screws into the balsa instead of the vertical column of the plastic load.
I also needed to weight the wagon down somewhat so, as I used offcuts of balsa, one wagon has a peice that sits in the middle of the wagon with a peice of lead flashing either end and the other wagon has an elongated T peice of balsa so the lead flashing actually sits underneath the balsa at each end of the wagon.
As the balsa in the first wagon mentioned was not as long as the wagon body (albeit as wide) I have added a thick piece of card on top that will carry the load.
I have painted glue on top of both new balsa / balsa and card and sprinkled coal on them. Once dry I will then go on to shape the coal load more by adding more in the middle of the wagon creating a heap.
I will add some pictures.....once I've taken some. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Here's the actual plastic load that came fitted to the wagon.
You can see the cylindrical shaft that takes the screw that holds the complete wagon together which I have replaced with the balsa load which the screw now screws into instead of the shaft.
Load.jpg
Load.jpg (45.68 KiB) Viewed 3087 times
I have added more glue to the coal I added within the wagon but daren't touch it until at least Saturday just in case.
In the past I have removed the load too soon only to get myself and the wagon covered in watered down glue tinged with black off the coal. :roll:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Here's the Hannah Samwell wagons with thier new removable loads. Peaked in the middle this time! :D
Hannah Samwell Loads sm.jpg
The screw that holds the complete wagon together now screws up into the balsa load instead of the terrible plastic load that comes with it.
Much better. :mrgreen:

The only improvement left would be to change one of the chassis's to a Dapol WCHASS10 giving me NEM couplings if I could find any.
WCHASS10's seem to be few and far between as a spare part.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Getting back to the Intercity coaches, I am almost finished. The wheels need refitting and the pick up springs need to be soldered to the pick up wires and then retested to make sure everything is working.
I omitted a light at one end of the coaches as they have LED's in the toilet compartment and corridor that shine through to the end. As the other end has a solid wall I routed an LED from the main lighting bar over the wall using the LED legs themselves.
Here's some pictures of the build so far.

I used rubber bands to hold the wire in place while I glued it along the seating unit. Bit by bit, doing around a centimetre then leaving to dry, then moving the rubber band along to the next centimetre so I could glue it exactly where I wanted it. After the glue had completely dried on one side I then went on to do the other sides wire. (Black)
IntercityCoaches24sm.jpg
IntercityCoaches24sm.jpg (74.8 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
IntercityCoaches25sm.jpg
IntercityCoaches25sm.jpg (79.98 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Here you can see both wires now glued into place and sticking up through the peices of veroboard the will carry both the power to all LED's plus the 2 LED's for the toilet compartment and the corridor. The veroboard was glued into place using gorilla glue and the wires using a revell glue thus the marking on the walls. :roll:
IntercityCoaches26sm.jpg
IntercityCoaches26sm.jpg (76.14 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
IntercityCoaches27sm.jpg
IntercityCoaches27sm.jpg (84.12 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
IntercityCoaches28sm.jpg
IntercityCoaches28sm.jpg (74.99 KiB) Viewed 3015 times

More to follow....
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Here's the 2 pieces of veroboard now completely wired up.
Following the route of the wiring from the pictures, and red and black wires poke up on the inner "lanes" of the pieces of veroboard and are then wired to the opposite verobaords outer "lane" giving both positive and negative on each board.
IntercityCoaches29sm.jpg
IntercityCoaches29sm.jpg (94.1 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
At the other end of the coach, here is the single LED wired directly to the veroboard (via the 1KOhm resistor)
IntercityCoaches30sm.jpg
IntercityCoaches30sm.jpg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
Here is an over view. (excluding the coach weight that sits in the undercarriage)
The 2 smaller veroboards are wired to the main lighting bar but instead of wire I used the cut off legs of an LED
I should have tried to somehow do this to connect the 2 smaller peices of veroboard together as the red and black wires touch and are squashed by the roof when the coach is closed. :roll:
IntercityCoaches31sm.jpg
IntercityCoaches31sm.jpg (110.36 KiB) Viewed 3015 times
I accidently cracked one of the roofs trying to reinstall it but it didn't come apart thankfully. :!:
Once I have finished I will some add pictures of the final project including lit up. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Now I've put the coaches back together I've noticed that the internal lighting bars componants are too high stopping the roof from clipping back into its exact position. Bugger. :evil:
Some light can be seen and the flush mounted windows don't sit in thier apertures properly.
Oh well it was a good try and it's close enough. :roll:
Here's the final pictures.
IntercityCoaches32sm.jpg
IntercityCoaches33sm.jpg
IntercityCoaches34sm.jpg
IntercityCoaches34sm.jpg (82.06 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
IntercityCoaches35sm.jpg
IntercityCoaches35sm.jpg (79.89 KiB) Viewed 3004 times

More to follow.....
Welcome‎
Planning
Building