Dave's Corner

What are you up to on your workbench
Dave

Dave's Corner

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:30 pm

Although I am the proud owner of a brand new shed, I do have a corner in the house for those smaller jobs.

An old 3 foot desk and a decent light is adequate. A few years ago I built a little portable board, big enough for an A3 cutting mat and space for a few tools:

17-01-04-08.jpg

Santa brought me a new smaller A4 mat and a few other modelling tools so I decided to knock up a smaller micro workstation:

17-01-04-09.jpg

This conveniently fits into a 7l plastic box which is ideal for keeping the good bits in and foreign bodies out:

17-01-04-07.jpg
Last edited by Dave on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

alex3410

Re: Dave's Corner

Postby alex3410 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:14 pm

Thats a good idea, it fits nicely into the box :)

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:53 pm

I have had my NCE Powercab for donkeys years.

Those of you who have one will know that you get a hand throttle and a mini facia plate to screw a motherboard too. If you only have one layout this isn't a problem as you can fix the plate to it, but if you have to keep swapping around it is a little vulnerable.

17-01-12-01.jpg

17-01-12-02.jpg

17-01-12-03.jpg

Whilst I had my tools out and some offcuts of wood, I finaly got around to building a little box for it:

17-01-12-04.jpg

17-01-12-05.jpg
Last edited by Dave on Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:48 pm

Nice box and good idea too. Added to my to do list. :roll:

Paul

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:49 pm

This is lovely work. Nice and neat but also practical. I like the idea of being able to put the lid on for the night or to move between house and shed.

Great stuff

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Dave wrote:If you only have one layout this isn't a problem as you can fix the plate to it, but if you have to keep swapping around it is a little vulnerable.

A quick suggestion for the NCE. Due to all the plugging in and out of leads into equipment, over time fitted sockets can get damaged.
By placing a short extension lead inline you would only need to unattach any leads from the extension lead not the actual socket.
Something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-RJ11-6P4C ... Sw4shX~B8h
If you had one on both the socket and handheld device you'd never have to take out leads from them only take the lead out at both ends from the 2 extensions, extending both sockets lifespan.

Also, My cutting mat is A3. I wonder if theres a box available at my size because even for quick pack-away and storage of current modelling items that's a great idea. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:24 pm

End2end wrote:Due to all the plugging in and out of leads into equipment, over time fitted sockets can get damaged. By placing a short extension lead inline you would only need to unattach any leads from the extension lead not the actual socket.

Not thought of that, I need to put it on my 'need to investigate' list. Thanks

Brooker

Postby Brooker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:37 pm

This is a great idea
Due to all the plugging in and out of leads into equipment, over time fitted sockets can get damaged.
By placing a short extension lead inline you would only need to unattach any leads from the extension lead not the actual socket.

I was thinking along the same lines, but more about packing the interior of the box with something so that the sockets are supported by more than just the pcb connections.

I'd not come up with a idea of what the something might be, so hadn't posted. And now E2E has beaten me to it. :twisted:

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Brooker wrote:I was thinking along the same lines, but more about packing the interior of the box with something so that the sockets are supported by more than just the pcb connections.I'd not come up with a idea of what the something might be, so hadn't posted. And now E2E has beaten me to it. :twisted:

The way to overcome this is to cable tie down the wiring after it has left the socket then it doesn't matter so much if the cable is loose after the cable tie. This takes any pressure or pull off the layout socket and wiring plugged into it.
Here's a rough sketch.
NCE.JPG
NCE.JPG (13.96 KiB) Viewed 676 times

Layout socket on the left. Extension socket plugged into layout socket cable tied down (in red). NCE handheld loose.
Here's one I made earlier.
cabletiedwiring.JPG
cabletiedwiring.JPG (43.5 KiB) Viewed 671 times

If you can imagine below the picture at the bottom of the rack, the wiring is all cable tied then splays out to other racks and destinations within the building like a spiders web except multiple wires go to the same destination.
If you follow the wiring from the left to the right you see 2 white cable ties. These are just to hold all the cables together. Then next is the black cable tie. This is the actual cable tie that holds all the cables onto the network patch unit and is the one that stops stress on the cabling.
When we have to change any of the wiring on the back of the network patch unit we unscrew and extract the unit from the front and again the black cable tie takes the stress rather than the cables.
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Brooker

Postby Brooker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:25 pm

That is what I like about this place - loads of friendly and useful advice from those more knowledgeable and experienced than one's self!!

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Brooker wrote:That is what I like about this place - loads of friendly and useful advice from those more knowledgeable and experienced than one's self!!

Oh you didn't know :?:
This forums the best thing since scones were spliced in 2 and jam and clotted cream added!. :lol:
Just be careful the way you apply them as cream underneath is still a hanging offence in some counties I hear.!! :shock:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:40 pm

End2end wrote:Here's one I made earlier.

I thought that was your layout wiring for a second :lol:

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Dave wrote:I thought that was your layout wiring for a second :lol:

:lol: No it's one of a TV editing facility's main machine room racks and that's just the start of the build we did. The rack soon got filled with a lot of other gubbins as some stuff got mounted on the rear of the racks too.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:46 pm

I am an Electrical Design Engineer, I have dealt with neat cabling like that all my life. I know of one modeller who's layout wiring is just like that!
It is not me :D .
It takes massive pre-planning and huge chunks of time and patience working to well planned wiring diagram.
Like most of you, I just like modelling and running trains! I get my jollies in neatness at work (someone else executes my design).
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:28 pm

That looks a nice bit of cabling, not like the nightmare at a certain midland phone exchange. The MDF was where any of the four or five thousand subscribers connections could be connected to any of slightly more incoming cable pairs and often had to be re-routed. Any change of connection was done by overlaying a new jumper cable on top of what was already there. Then the old cable was pulled out. New connections were simply laid over the top. When I was introduced to it, it was about forty years old. It was getting difficult to pull out the old ones, then pulling out the old ones was starting to damage the ones adjacent, so the redundant ones were just left in situ. Many meetings were held to decide what could be done about it, as installing new equipment to replace the old would require the temporary insertion of an extra four thousand or o jumpers and the removal of the old. In the end the new equipment went in a new building with a duplicate frame. The reconnections were made between the cables in various manholes. The old frame was left in situ until everything had been emptied out of the building. The entire frame, steelwork, terminal blocks, cables and jumpers was cut up into one foot cubes by blokes wearing bio hazard suits and breathing apparatus, weilding masonry saws, then bagged and sent straight to the smelter, it took months! Then before the building could be demolished it had to be cleaned of any possible asbestos and just to be sure it was kept wet throughout demolition.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “The Workbench”