Alternate Smoke Generator animation

What are you up to on your workbench
TimberSurf

Re: Alternate Smoke Generator animation

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:30 pm

All the parts arrived today, now with smaller pump, two power supplies so can control coil and pump individually
3V pump at 3V and 3.7v coil set at 2.0V

Enjoy Version 3
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

TimberSurf

Re: Alternate Smoke Generator animation

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:39 pm

Bufferstop wrote:I know I banged on a bit about ultra sonic vibrators, but I'm putting my money where my mouth is. Here's a scheme to do it with relatively cheap items and not at all toxic. The working medium is water and air. Dimensions would determine the quality of the flow but pressures are low so air should rise.
Forgive the atrocious quality of the image, something screwed up in the export process.
ultra.jpg

It's fairly simple, the poly box has enough water to cover the ultrasonic transducer (a cheap one)
the computer cooling fan (tangential type) blows into the airspace above the water,
the lamps are directed at the air immediately below the funnel to promote rise.
As the pressure is low it would be advisable to have distributor pipes of fairly large diameter ending in smaller risers through the buildings and up to the chimneys.
I offer it to anyone brave or daft enough to try .

I'll be the daft one.........
I have an ultrasonic mister/fogger in my garden water feature, so am familiar with the technology, I even have a spare unit to play with.
I have tried it in a tall clear beaker, the 12V 30mm PC fan decimates the mist, even with reduced voltage!
So I tried the Version 1 pump and it works well. The chimney needs to be directly above the chamber and short. Manifolds, small bore and long runs are out. The low flow from the pump gives a nice wispy curl from the top of a 200mm tube.
There is some merit in this mechanism, but the chamber needs to be quite tall and bulky so will take up a large space under board and the effect is only just noticeable. (Total mist production is low, creating mist and storing before release does not improve it)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “The Workbench”