So nothing to update on the 7mmNG wagons yet, as they had been put to one side while I've had a major sort out of my half of the garage, and reorganised how things are done.
Firstly, I've bought a few racking units (link
). As the vertical beams are 2 sections, you can build them as pictured or as two half-height units. So I've now got four half-height units along one side of my workspace, to act as a storage area (huge shelf) in the short term while everything else is sorted, then to be a base for my layouts' baseboards. That way I don't need to have legs on the baseboards.
No photos of these, yet, but they will follow soon.
I've then got a couple more of these units along the other side of my workspace, to act as my workbench.
But lighting was an issue. Light in the garage is via one window at one end, a door that I keep screened off at the other, and two yellowy light bulbs, nowhere near close, nor bright, nor white enough for decent photos or good quality work, certainly. The conditions look something like this (excuse the clutter):
Not great. But then a couple of weeks ago I found a Youtube video (link
) about turning broken TVs into lights. So that's what I've done. On to eBay, and sourced a very cheap 49 inch (biggest I can fit in the car) flatscreen TV. With a smashed screen.
Now, I don't have a full set of photos of the disassembly, due to phone battery issues and it being a bit uninteresting, but basically you take away the circuit boards from the back, and the screen from the front, and you're left with the backlighting light-box behind the screen, consisting of a few rows of LEDs and special diffusing perspex. I had to remove the existing LEDs as they were designed for a higher voltage, so I replaced them with a reel of cheap eBay 12v LEDs and wired in to a new 12v supply:
Then reattached the perspex sheets and put the TV case back together:
Yes you can still make out the rows of LEDs, so it's not as good as that on the Youtube video, but for my purposes this won't be a problem.
The next issue was going to be that of mounting. I didn't want to hang this from the roof rafters, for obvious reasons, so instead I bought and built a full-height racking unit, with a shelf at desk height and shelf bars near the top to simply rest the "TV" on. Another shelf was added to the very top due to the regular presence of my assistant feline, who likes to explore the rafters and other high places. But the final result was thus:
Total cost was likely approaching £70, but could have been done for just over £50. Not bad for a workbench desk and very good lighting rig. Especially as £40+ is just for the racking unit!