Dragonfly's Workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
Dragonfly

Re: Dragonfly's Workbench

Postby Dragonfly » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:25 pm

So, the N-gauge shunting layout now has a name and a thread: Much Oakley

Bufferstop wrote:I started looking at the possibilities for easily converting existing types to twin power systems when I read the makeup of the Spanish train that was involved in that disastrous crash. It was a high speed electric train (loco each end) on the TALGO system. The loco part had been split off from the train and a specially built cabless diesel loco inserted between the original electric and the rest of the train, and configured to be driven by the controls in the original locos. I couldn't find out if it had it's own traction motors or supplied the ones in the original loco.

Hmm, that has got me thinking, for sure. For the 3rd Generation version then, a cab-ended Mk4 as above, but at the other, a standard Cl91 with the flat-cab end replaced with a corridor connection, and a diesel generator trailer between that and the coaches... A very nice idea! Will certainly have to think about that.

Mountain wrote:Regarding boxes for ones trains. Apart from their protective qualities I've been puzzled why boxed items sell more secondhand, as a boxed item can hide a damaged item. While we all expect slightly more for a boxed example, this is only due to the expectations of the model railway industry in the RTR field.
Scratch built or kit built items often don't have a box or if a kit built item has a box rarely will if fit the kit once built, so one does not expect such an item to be boxed. Therefore the value remains the same boxed or not.
In practical use, it is true that boxes get in the way when one has to get stock out or put stock away on ones layout.
However for storage use if one has a house move etc, they are protection against damage.
Do I buy a boxed example and pay more or unboxed? To be honest, I prefer unboxed to save myself some money! If both are the same price, a boxed one if I get the chance to open the box to check it over, but only because the resale market is higher for a boxed example.

Totally agree, really. Unless you're planning on selling it on, there's no real gain to keeping the boxes. I'm keeping the boxes I have, for sure, but they're in storage up in the loft, out of the way, as the bubble-wrap is plenty for my needs.

alex3410 wrote:I have been working on one in php for years :oops: :lol:

I first did php in uni and fell in love with it, I got on with it so much better then any of the other languages we tried. I now get to use it daily as a web developer and having this personal project to work on has taught me more then anything else. The reason why it's taking so long is every time I find a new better way of doing things I tend to end up starting it all again from scratch :lol: or we get busy at work and I don't touch it for months

Either way the value of a project you enjoy working on form an educational viewpoint is invaluable. I am happy with the invested time because of what I have learnt from it - even if I never finish it :lol:

I'm certainly enjoying playing with PHP, for sure. It's something I tinkered with about ten years ago, modifying phpbb forums, but that was all. It's only recently, now I've finally gotten around to going to uni (only 10.5 years late), I'm taking the opportunity to learn it properly. Part of my job is that of system developer (out of necessity, rather than my job description), so having a web-based option to the work system makes it much more sale-able.
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Clatter / Much Oakley / Workbench |

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:04 am

One last test, of course, before heading West for Christmas, is of course to check that the boxes actually fit in the bookcase. I had tested with the individual boards, but knowing my luck...

IMAG0796a.jpg
IMAG0796a.jpg (101.55 KiB) Viewed 293 times

...oh! It actually worked! A tight fit, but that's perfect, no unwanted movement that way.
=Doug

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:36 pm

Latest new project: A pair of display units to go on top of the bookcases.

Wood bought pre-cut to size from smartbabel.com.

IMG_20170716_152820a.jpg
IMG_20170716_152820a.jpg (169 KiB) Viewed 215 times

Zigzag supports made by just gluing the longer pieces together at right angles.

IMG_20170716_160541a.jpg
IMG_20170716_160541a.jpg (236.39 KiB) Viewed 215 times

All made just using glue. Next time I'll probably use screws too, and have it open-able so a little bit of storage space is available.

IMG_20170716_172025a.jpg
IMG_20170716_172025a.jpg (154.37 KiB) Viewed 215 times

Shelves all glued in place. Left like this for a couple of days to set.

IMG_20170722_133225a.jpg
IMG_20170722_133225a.jpg (165.12 KiB) Viewed 215 times

All painted. Woodland Scenics "Earth Undercoat" on the horizontals, plain gloss white on the verticals. Yes, there's some white on the brown bits, but the plan is to ballast the track, so it's no big deal.

IMG_20170723_135904a.jpg
IMG_20170723_135904a.jpg (130.61 KiB) Viewed 215 times

While one is awaiting being ballasted, I've set up the other in place. Not bad work, if I say so myself...
=Doug

Return to “The Workbench”