OliverSR's Workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
OliverSR

OliverSR's Workbench

Postby OliverSR » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:05 pm

After a period of abscence over the last year or so I have finally started getting back into some modelling projects and have decided to make more of a effort keeping you guys up to date. So I have set up this new proper workbench since the old thread was before I workbenches section existed(shows how long ago it was).
Rather than detailed description and photos of progress of projects which I don't have, I will show you the current stages of my most recent projects with a brief summary and encourage any questions, then for future updates I will go into a deeper level of detail in what I have done.

First we have a finished project this is the old Hornby E2 repainted and transfered into BR Black. It was striped down the brush painted black before press fix transfers applied and then satin varnished with the bufferbeams picked out in signal red which I find is bright and good for bufferbeams. Small detailing parts added and the body now sits on a newer Hornby DCC fitted 0-6-0 chassis bought for a second hand and this is more of a quick cheap project to get something similar quality to a Railroad Model.

Following on from my previous Hornby pug to Ironside conversion which I was never really satisfied with the running of I bought a ARC Models Resin Moulding(A miss cast one because I thought I could patch it up and save some money) for the kit to fit on a Bachmann Percy chassis. The model had the moulded handrails filed off and the broken side of the cab rebuilt in plasticard. Then was assembled as per instructions and brush painted black followed by the addition of nameplates. It does still need numbers but I think some more filling is required on my repaired cab as they aren't very flat for numbers yet but the loco is DCC hard wired with a Hornby chip and so doesn't need much to finish off now.

The next partially completed project is a Hornby terrier with a Golden Arrow Models bunker extension kit which has been added, filled and then painted before picking out of details with gold paint and bufferbeams. The model has nameplates but I am currently awaiting transfers as I wish to do it as early BR black with southern style "British Railways" lettering and will be named up as Freshwater in shortly before returning to mainland condition.

Finally is a Harrow Models whitemetal Q Stock London transport kit. After briefly experimenting with painting it in service yellow I eventually decided to paint it as a static set to be pulled by a loco or on display in sidings, so it was striped to bare metal and then I am currently painting it up.

I hope this brings you up to speed with my projects and I will keep these more up to date in future so I know I have gone through it all like a whirlwind a bit but if you have any questions or want more info about it then please let me know via a comment.
OliverSR

bike2steam

Re: OliverSR's Workbench

Postby bike2steam » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Hope you don't mind me drawing your attention to this;-
http://www.semgonline.com/steam/e2_class.html
32105 belonged to the later batch.

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Ah I really should check stuff before I number it I even looked on that page to have mine based on the 32104 for reference but somewhere I must have got muddled up in my head :roll: .
That's not quite complete then okay I think I will need to replace the 5 with a 4 then.
At least that's a simple fix :lol:
Thanks very much I completely missed that.

Edit:
The old number has been scraped off with a craft knife.
Then the new number was cut off sheet placed and soaked to remove backing paper.
Finally this shows the now massively more accurate loco :lol: (I did adjust the placement slightly after the photo was taken)
I know the 3 and F could arguably be closer together but I found that fiddly so may remove it and have a go again at a later date but it's good enough for now.
All is required is another going over with the varnish to seal it, again.
Luckily a quick fix and thank you for pointing this out as it was quick to sort now while I still haven't tidied up my workbench yet.
OliverSR
Last edited by OliverSR on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Good stuff, good stuff. Always enjoy seeing other's r-t-r bashing efforts.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:06 pm

The Terrier has now received transfers and nameplates. Nameplates are from Jackson Evans range and applied using a careful amount of gel superglue and the transfers are prefix applied the same way as detailed on the E2 though numbering this loco was a breeze since I only had to worry about a single digit :lol: .
The decoder fitted was a Hornby 8 Pin chip soldered in following the instructions on the Hornby website and before decorating the body I removed the boiler weight and drilled a hole for the chip to go through. It runs very well and gives me a nice model of a terrier in a early livery just before it was sent back to the mainland. For anyone considering the golden arrow kit to do this to their terrier I would reccomend it as I have found it easy and with some sanding after fitting can make a very pleasing result. Anyway here is the finished product and I am very pleased with it.
That's all for this weekend but I am happy to have completed a project after a long period of slow progress.
OliverSR

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:24 pm

As it's an 'Island Terrier' you could do away with the vacuum supply ( injector) pipe - the one that goes from the l/h side of the chimney to the l/h side of the cab spectacle plate, that was replaced by the Westinghouse air-pump on the r/h side of the cab.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:21 am

Nice workbench like the terrier looks very good! Etched plates need a slight bit of refinement after cutting from the sprue just a bit of a needle file along the edges, but looks very nice.

OliverSR

Postby OliverSR » Sun May 08, 2016 8:11 pm

Time to dust off this thread and show my most recent project, which is really a re visit of a previous project.
My original southeast Finecast p class on a bachmann junior chassis looked like a monster truck and thought I was happy with the paint job the chassis and running wasn't good at all.
I later bought and shortened a hornby terrier chassis to fit into the model and after lots of boding to make it fit and lots of frustration getting a decoder to also work in a small Whitemetal loco it got to this stage and until recently that is where it has rested.
Now I am happy to report it still runs well but I have decided to re visit this project to both improve on some details and repaint it into a livery more suitable for my current modelling era. Looking at the model there are three main improvements I can make prior to the repaint and so firstly the bulky goggle like Windows which I think must have been fitted inside out were taken off and I think with them in the Windows looked to small so I they have been discarded. The cab handrails made from paper clips same as the boiler handrails also needed to go so these were removed and I replaced the split pins in the boiler with brass handrail knobs and wire of a more accurate size. I also have got some steps as new castings to fit so the loco looks complete however I have glued thin plasticard to the back of the steps in an attempt to reinforce them and offer a further insulator to the metal. I have also added a vacuum pipe to the front as all the class seem to have these in photos. This shows the stage it's currently at so next I need to strip the paint and paint the loco which will be number 301178 in BR early black.
Even though I have not been posting much or any of the other projects I have done recently I feel that since this is one of the first things I posted on the forum, which also inspired me to start tinkering with kits to get something more special than RTR. I wanted to show its continued improvements.
OliverSR

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:26 pm

Very nice work on the P tank Oliver! I see you've gone for the plain Olive Green scheme as well :P I finished a Dean Sidings kit on a terrier chassis as 1325 in the same scheme.

Southern by location, Eastern by heart

Return to “The Workbench”