I'm sorry to say we have a couple of Northern interlopers in amongst my Southern stock lately- but for good reason!
I'm a member of the Hastings and St Leonards Model Railway Club and we've been invited to the Rye exhibition in April. ''Hurrah!'' we all cried, until we realised we actually had to work on the layout, on the rolling stock... And I was asked if I'd run a Flying Scotsman Pullman railtour. Well, okay...
But the problem is that, ever so lovely as the gift was from my Grandmother, I don't run Northern territory anymore and the Flying Scotsman seemed redundant to me. Furthermore, it was also of the wrong prototype (an A1 as apposed to an A3, as is preserved). This had to be fixed.
I've always found eBay to be a veritable source of spares and wrecks for salvage, and thus ordered an A3 body with the intent of having a straight swap for the current A1 body the model came with... Only to discover the body I ordered was for a tender drive. Damn.
No matter, it still fits!
The under boiler was cut out with a junior saw and filed down- it's still a little tight, but the body fits onto the chassis fairly well.
Goodness knows why, but the boiler top is removable and has horrid raised moulding everywhere. I don't mind so much as its only a layout locomotive, and it'll be repainted once finished into an 'alternative' green to my usual southern Olive or Sage (not that I dislike Apple Green, it's just deciding between Doncaster and Darlington that frustrates me...)
This seems to have been a fairly simple conversion thus far, and so I'll hopefully have it finished by the beginning of April. Handrails, a paint job (with my first ever transfers!) and the German smoke deflectors are all that really needs doing.
The Flying Scotsman is not the only foreigner in our midst.
I'm also working on a fictitious 'new build' of an original GNR A1, which will be painted out in GNR livery! I recognise that the chassis should really be in maroon/red but I'd like to keep everything as simple as I can and so only the A1 body and the GNR tender body will be in (fairly) accurate GNR livery. Who knows, I might just do photographic grey.
Again, all that is needed is handrails, coal rails and a paint job with transfers. I might- might- fit smoke deflectors, of a larger design, however it appears only one of the A1 class ever carried them with the GNR tender and never in GNR livery, and I don't want to have something really anachronistic running about (she says despite the numerous inaccuracies in her existing stock).
Anyway, I hope I haven't shocked you all too much. It's just another project really, to keep myself busy, and it's also a deadline to work to- something I've never had before in the hobby!