Alexandra's Workbench.

What are you up to on your workbench
End2end

Re: Alex's Locomotive Works- tinkering and whatnot

Postby End2end » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:28 am

kiwitram wrote:E2E- I'll take a photograph of the undercarriage tomorrow (today? what is a sleeping pattern again?) and upload it for you.

Mornin' ......evenin' ....er 2:28am. :lol:
Look forward to seeing it.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:52 pm

Hello again,

E2E, here's the photos of the chassis, as promised;

The locating pins are very short but do work. I also tried swapping the Bachmann coupling for the Hornby standard clip-in slimline tension lock, screwed on, and that worked rather well, although I intend to use wire and goalpost couplings eventually. The model comes in a glossy black plastic but I painted over this in a matte black, and replaced the flimsy buffers with some spare white metal Pullman ones. The axleboxes are a little tight, but wheel sets can be popped in and out- just be wary of the wheels slipping down the axles.

I hope this is helpful,

Alex

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:35 pm

kiwitram wrote:The locating pins are very short but do work. I also tried swapping the Bachmann coupling for the Hornby standard clip-in slimline tension lock, screwed on, and that worked rather well

Thanks for the pictures Alex. :)
Can I ask, were the original couplings Bachmann NEM couplings? And if so do you know which type?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:13 am

Hey,

They were indeed Bachmann tension locks. They looked like the old Mainline ones with the plastic hook which was sprung rather than being hinged.

Alex

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi Alex -took delivery of a Henrietta today as a suitable companion for my new Peckett. Bachmann say they are H0 but it matches up to platform heights and bufferstops as though it were 00. A run around the line showed up only one problem, the footsteps fouled a platform ramp at one point, due to it being approached from a reverse curve. It looks as though my planned mod will be needed. I want to put it on short freight style bogies. The Ratio ones I've ordered have an arm which carries the coupler, by pivoting the bogie at a point somewhere along the arm I should be able to reduce the overhang at the end and clear the platform edge. The prototype had a slightly longer companion which ran on bogies, so mine should be an amalgam of the two.
I don't know whether or not to respray the body in the maroon the the modern replica carries or try to improve the original LNER teak woodwork.
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:48 pm

hi bufferstop,

from what I've read about creating teak effect on models it isn't too difficult, but it's all down to what the modeller wants the effect to be and how content they are with that. I like the idea of mounting it on bogies, I had a spare metal wagon chassis I was going to mount a TOMY Henrietta body on with bogies attached but I never got around to it. As for the maroon, that could look equally as nice however be aware that the glazing is a b*gger to remove and also forms part of the mounting onto the chassis. I'm going to attempt to paint mine into maunsell olive green, though I did find I had to fill in the windows with bluetak and cover them inside with masking tape.

the plastic of the body will definitely need a primer as it's so slippery.

I hope this is useful,

Alex

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:32 pm

Discovered most of the problems as I took it apart. Got the glazing out undamaged so I didn't need the blue tac in the windows. It will have to manage without the bogies, the foot steps are just too tight. I decided to shave the sides, the Thomas TV and film model defiitely had ribs on the side, the original seems to have had a pair of beadings just below the windows, neither were 4 by 2. timbers, once they had gone the body got an all over sanding with 1000 grade wet and dry. I also sanded the balcony and step surfaces. It's standing on my bench whilst the primer dries. I've tried the maroon on a spare peice of plastic, decisions when I see how it turns out.

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:47 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Got the glazing out undamaged so I didn't need the blue tac in the windows.

wish I could've done that, I tried and managed to split one of the balcony end windows, but I plan on possibly replacing the glazing with Krystal Klear if I break any more so it isn't too much of an issue. sounds like yours is going well thus far though- whilst mine will be in Olive Green, I'm tempted to fudge it and suggest that Colonel Stephens extended the KESR line towards Ashford and Hastings, thus providing an alternative route and acquired the ex LNER coach for a minimal cost.

will you be populating yours? I doubt I'll do mine, it's so small I don't know if I see the need. perhaps a conductor on one of the balconies?

Alex

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi Alex - just posted a piccy in my workbench thread, ATM it's unpopulated but surprisingly for the size of the windows it's obvious that it is, at least when it's on my near eye level track, so the top may be coming off at some point. I think it should have longitudinal benches with their backs to the windows, which wouldn't be too difficult to make up.

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Hello everyone,

I decided a short while ago, following some further research into the motive power around Hastings/Bexhill/Ashford areas, that I'd bash a K10 from another GBL T9 as, according to the Southern E-Group pages,

After the Grouping of 1923, the Southern Railway sent ten of the class to work on the former SECR lines

This makes sense to me as the locomotives shared their boilers with the C8s, M7s (which also later were distributed across the Southern network) and were part of the basis for the T9, in itself a compact locomotive.

I'd ordered the cab from Brassmasters as the K10 has the larger Drummond cab and splashers, which were cut to length and soldered back together accordingly. At the moment the sides are left apart from the front of the cab, which is proving tricky to work with. I might ask someone from my railway group to give it a go, it's rather fiddly.

From this new GBL model I'll be taking the locomotive footplate, boiler and the smokebox door, probably the cab interior and the tender body, suitably cut down (the K10s ran with six wheel tenders in SECR territory)

Both the K10 and C8 will most likely be running on parcels or local passenger services- perhaps longer loads if they are run in tandem. I've ordered some handrail knobs and wire, so the majority of the detailing ought to be done soon. I still need to order the chimneys for these two...

In other news, I was pondering more on my Flying Scotsman project and where to take it. I think I've decided to keep it in apple green, however, I will be working on both the GNR outline tender and the corridor tender so that I can swap between the two.

I rather like the original outshop look of 4472; some research will have to be carried out as to some of the details, such as the cab and the pipe down the side of the boiler (on the model it's on the right but in reality it's on the left?) But apple green it shall be. Possibly weathered. I might even be whimsical and try some smoke deflectors (Not German or shorties!)

Anyway, that's it for now.

Alex

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:55 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry to say we have a couple of Northern interlopers in amongst my Southern stock lately- but for good reason!

I'm a member of the Hastings and St Leonards Model Railway Club and we've been invited to the Rye exhibition in April. ''Hurrah!'' we all cried, until we realised we actually had to work on the layout, on the rolling stock... And I was asked if I'd run a Flying Scotsman Pullman railtour. Well, okay...

But the problem is that, ever so lovely as the gift was from my Grandmother, I don't run Northern territory anymore and the Flying Scotsman seemed redundant to me. Furthermore, it was also of the wrong prototype (an A1 as apposed to an A3, as is preserved). This had to be fixed.

I've always found eBay to be a veritable source of spares and wrecks for salvage, and thus ordered an A3 body with the intent of having a straight swap for the current A1 body the model came with... Only to discover the body I ordered was for a tender drive. Damn.

No matter, it still fits!

The under boiler was cut out with a junior saw and filed down- it's still a little tight, but the body fits onto the chassis fairly well.

Goodness knows why, but the boiler top is removable and has horrid raised moulding everywhere. I don't mind so much as its only a layout locomotive, and it'll be repainted once finished into an 'alternative' green to my usual southern Olive or Sage (not that I dislike Apple Green, it's just deciding between Doncaster and Darlington that frustrates me...)

This seems to have been a fairly simple conversion thus far, and so I'll hopefully have it finished by the beginning of April. Handrails, a paint job (with my first ever transfers!) and the German smoke deflectors are all that really needs doing.

BUT

The Flying Scotsman is not the only foreigner in our midst.

I'm also working on a fictitious 'new build' of an original GNR A1, which will be painted out in GNR livery! I recognise that the chassis should really be in maroon/red but I'd like to keep everything as simple as I can and so only the A1 body and the GNR tender body will be in (fairly) accurate GNR livery. Who knows, I might just do photographic grey.

Again, all that is needed is handrails, coal rails and a paint job with transfers. I might- might- fit smoke deflectors, of a larger design, however it appears only one of the A1 class ever carried them with the GNR tender and never in GNR livery, and I don't want to have something really anachronistic running about (she says despite the numerous inaccuracies in her existing stock).

Anyway, I hope I haven't shocked you all too much. It's just another project really, to keep myself busy, and it's also a deadline to work to- something I've never had before in the hobby!

- Alex

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:46 am

Hello everyone,

Work on the C8 and K10 continues. I've braced the K10 running board as the plastic was thin and the two halves refused to marry up with glue, and so hopefully they'll manage to hold up and I'll have another body nearly completed.

The C8 was test fitted with a pair of Hornby 0-4-0 coupling rods which, as I'd suspected, are the correct spacing and so another pair will be ordered at some point soon.

I've also ordered two Hornby 'Toy Story' locos that have shredded gears on the drive wheels; with any luck I'll be able to assess whether they're worth salvaging and if they're bashable once they arrive.

Here's to hoping I can get some more work done when I'm next paid again (Not my loan. Oh no. Student Finance deign only to furnish me with enough to pay my rent. Means-tested my ****)

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Hello everybody,

I've been having a little think about the 'proposed' KESR extension from Tenterden to Hastings, as an alternative route to that from Roberstbridge, and I remembered that both the KESR and the East Kent Railway had at one time an Adams Radial tank, and so I began to ponder about livery applications.

While I usually would prefer a green over other colours (I fly my Southern alliance flag proudly) I do quite like the KESR navy blue, as seen here

Image (Credit to https://locoyard.com/2013/04/23/hornby-lbscr-southern-terrier-a1a1x-class-review/ )

It's a nice enough livery and certainly looks good with Pullmans, pre-grouping livery coaches and perhaps even SR Olive (I'd have the KESR charter coaches from the SR for certain services).

I think if I were to use the Rust-Oleum 'navy blue' spray paint with a matte satin varnish over the top, this would look fairly representative of the livery.

The livery colour (according to my conversion of the RGB value from Paint) is #273848 Hex, and the Rust-Oleum looks close enough.

It'll be a chance to use my bow-pen (when it turns up), most likely lining with 'bufferbeam red' from Humbrol.

I know I might be jumping the gun, thinking ahead with projects but I will aim to get my current projects completed before I embark on anything new.

On that note, I've also been thinking about the viability of the 'Tony Wright goalpost' coupling I've employed on my coaching stock. I feel it will be suitable for fixed rakes, which I intend on running, but on the ends of rakes I might revert to NEM standard couplings for ease of changing haulage, and I'll probably use Kadee couplings or similar. I realise this may be expensive but I'd prefer it for ease of operation.

That's all for now,

Alex

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Hello everyone,

I received the 'Toy Story' chassis today, and here's just a quick overlook of how they fit with the C8/K10 bodies:

The Toy Story body, as is, is screwed onto the chassis at the front... But apparently the screws aren't very effective as I was able to pull the bodies off straight away. It looks like the spacing is identical to the 0-4-0 chassis, which is perfect as it works out as a scale 9'.

I may well save the piston fitting as it has space to suspend a bogie from it (the one supplied is a clip-in, but I think the T9 bogie may fit). Also to be saved are the cow catchers from both chassis; I'm planning on setting the layout in winter and might have a go at adapting them into snow-ploughs. The bodies are of no consequence, although I may sell them on.

The chassis is made from thin cast metal and has the motor (the square type, a type seven I believe) set between the frames and with a metal worm gear, making swapping the wheelset out an easier task and reducing the chance of wear. It's also quite a weighty chassis, with all the weight over the four drivers and it's well balanced. Wires are all long enough to sit in the body, which is also ideal for fitting with DCC chips.

The front extension on the chassis is quite thick and a little unecessary for my purposes, but I'll consider trying to thin it out before cutting it out altogether. At the back under the cab, around 5mm needs trimming off to make it fit into the body snugly, but I can saw this off at some point.

Overall, I think I've done rather well with my chassis choice- a gamble which paid off.

- Alex

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:36 pm

kiwitram wrote:Hello everyone,

I received the 'Toy Story' chassis today, and here's just a quick overlook of how they fit with the C8/K10 bodies:

- Alex

Is the gear meshing OK? If the worm is only just engaging the driving gear teeth it can be OK running light, but start chewing the drive teeth as soon as it's hauling a load.
It seems to be the common (but not universal ) problem.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Return to “The Workbench”