Alexandra's Workbench.

What are you up to on your workbench
kiwitram

Re: Alex's ''Hermione Isle'' Locomotive Works

Postby kiwitram » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:14 pm

Hey FS,

thanks for the advice about the transfers- I hadn't thought about using Publisher. As for the sanding, I've used fine grades but perhaps it does need another going over prior to painting. I might also use a grey primer instead, the white doesn't really highlight any issues very clearly.

We'll get there eventually,

Alex

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:42 pm

kiwitram wrote: As for the sanding, I've used fine grades but perhaps it does need another going over prior to painting. I might also use a grey primer instead, the white doesn't really highlight any issues very clearly.

As I said, it may just be that it looks rough in the photo, but is nice and smooth when you feel it. Light grey does tend to work better for showing up areas that need more work than white in my experience.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:09 pm

Hey guys,

I bought a Roundhouse Pullman car kit the other day off eBay, and i've finally gotten around to tinkering with it.

As bought it's in a Southern livery with a very obviously American exterior and no interior. All underframe detail must be fitted by the modeller.

The glazing is actually fairly decent, so I may well keep that.

However, I did notice a few things I wasn't happy with:

The bogies are very small, and only allow for small plastic wheels. Those had to go.
There were no buffer beams, or gangway connections.
The roof detailing was lax, and what was included to be fitted looked very poor in terms of moulding. The same went for undercarriage details; tie beams were basically string.

So, I set to work with a few tweaks...

Whilst they look HUGE right now (largely due to the fact that the car is sat on the plugs of the bogies), the Hornby 12 wheel Pullman bogies really look far superior to me, and give a better run, as well as adding weight and pick-up capability for illumination.

Some Devon Belle buffer beams were glued to the chassis floor, and look fairly decent to me.

I think for the rest of the undercarriage, and for the roof details, I will go for white metal castings and plastic piping. Couplings could go either way (hook and goalpost or proprietary). Perhaps the latter for now, seeing as the coach came with a coupling swing-arm similar to that used by contemporary manufacturers.

The car will be finished in the earlier Pullman livery (the White Pullman livery with cream cantrail) and hopefully I'll fit interior lighting. Not sure what I'm doing about the interior itself, might use a second-hand coach interior and repaint it.

This is something like what I had in mind. Whilst it's still an American Pullman, I like the styling... It's very simple. And the idea of a car called 'London' is pretty quirky too. Hopefully if I manage this one nicely you'll see some more Pullman cars in the future.

Alex

Alex

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:15 am

I look forward to seeing how this turns out. I myself have a Pullman coach on the workbench that will be receiving some modifications, albeit it a very different style for a US prototype.

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:51 am

Hello everyone!

It's been a while. Tell you something, managing your time at uni is a lot harder than I thought. You can go for weeks thinking you haven't got anything to do then it dawns on you, ''Oh God I've got two essays for this half of the course, so much reading for that...''. Whose bright idea was it to create a Joint Honours?"!

Anyway, to the railway...

I've decided since I'll be pretty much living in Ashford when I'm not at uni (rather than traipsing back up north all the time) I'll try to create a layout down in my room or one of the sheds there. I'll be basing it around Hastings, 1920-1932 because this period is fairly simple in the stock that ran and it allows me to be a bit tighter with the purse strings.From what I've read it's mostly Schools and L/L1s that ran the Hastings routes, though I might see the odd West Country/B.OB. and lots of ex LBSC/SECR stock. There will be some tweaks- for example, I'll be pretending that the station was razed in the '20s and partially rebuilt in an art deco style, with some Victorian elements remaining. However, I also enjoy the idea of running whatever I like, and so I'm inventing a preserved line running from Hastings through St leonards West. This way I'll be able to swap between the two.

That's just a little bit on the layout plan (here's to hoping it'll happen.) In the meantime, here are a few updates on my projects:

The Bagnall

Just trying out the Dapol Pug chassis proves that it's of a suitable height; the prototype Bagnalls were no higher than a seven plank wagon. The smokebox door is from the City of Truro kit. I'll try to build up the cab again out of both plasticard and the Pug kit. Here's to hoping it goes well.

Genvieve (French Single)

As is in the photo, the Single utilises the mainframe of the City kit, as well as its cab, tender and the side frames, and the bogie. I'm not sure yet if I'll stick with my 'spare' Emily metal chassis block as is in the photo, but it worked for the idea of what the loco will look like. It's tempting to fill in the chassis holes on the side frames of the loco, and somehow suspend the wheelsets in them, but suitably adapted so as to not look entirely Western. The tender's side stathes have also been trimmed off, and will eventually be replaced with wire coal rails.

Twelve wheel clerestory Pullman

On the roof I have marked out ten equidistant spots for the cast roof vents I've ordered from Comet.

The chassis has had some padding added for the bogie plugs, just to provide enough relief. Underframe detail has been removed (what I had originally fitted from the kit was poor, and besides, I want to add underframes).

The original coach side is marked out in pencil; anything new is in green. I've ordered a set of brass sides, again from Comet, in the layout of a Parlour First 1928 car. My idea is that though the coach was constructed in 1899, it was used along the Sussex coast and was very popular, and outlasted many other clerestory Pullmans, and so was partially rebuilt in 1928 using standardised parts but retaining two pairs of the smaller oval windows at the extreme ends and some matchboard panelling. What I'll do with the cut-out panels I'm unsure of yet; it seems a shame to throw them away. The original glazing for the smaller ovals will be used, along with the green clerestory glazing, however, I will be sourcing new clear plastic strip for the rest of the coach. For the interior I'm considering buying a spares and repairs illuminated Pullman online and using that. Or just a plain 'Railroad' Pullman interior.

I've reconsidered names for the coach, and I'm quite drawn to Veronica. Probably only because i've rediscovered Veronica Franco's works. My God, the woman could write. I would pick somewhere in Sussex but a lot of place names have already been used for Pullman cars.

Anyhow, that's just a bit of a catch-up, I'll try not to leave it so long next time.

Alex

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:16 pm

Hello everyone,

The parts I ordered from Comet arrived today. Here are just a couple of photos of the sides positioned on the
clerestory; I've fitted the roof vents, and will be fitting the underframe details tomorrow.

The brass oval windows are the same size as the plastic ones, which is convenient. I'm not sure yet if I'll sand down the matchboard paneling. We'll see. The slight overhang did initially bother me, but now I might just pretend that it is a deliberate occurrence to cover the solebars. I will sand down the beading at the top of the side of the coach, too. Hopefully I'll manage to finish it by Christmas.

Anyway, just a quick insight.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:40 pm

Keep going. Love the models you make. I do something like that myself but in 7mm narrow gauge which use 00 gauge chassis.

kiwitram

Re: Alex's Locomotive Works- tinkering and whatnot

Postby kiwitram » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:11 pm

Hello all!

Just a quick chime before I start really laying into my work for January (joy of joys.)

I bought a GBL T9 and have set into altering it into an LSWR C8 (in SR livery.) It'll (hopefully) be mounted on a Hornby Schools chassis with a new drive wheel hole drilled at the correct spacing- 9' rather than 10'. Tender wheels will be the Hornby T9 spares.

As regards the clerestory Pullman,that's plodding on slowly. I hope to finish it before March, but we'll see how it goes. I highly recommend the Anthony Ford Pullman series- I've got a copy of the 12 wheel car volume and whilst pricey, it's been invaluable for educating myself on Southern region (ex Brighton and SECR) 12 wheel Pullmans.

Alex

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Hello!

Here's just a quick update just a quick update on what I've been working on:

The C8

The GBL T9 body was hacked about, and 4mm taken out of the boiler and mainframe to bring the wheelbase down to the correct scale 9'. I forgot to take some photos of the full body glued together, and haven't got the model to hand (I'm away from home) but it is well on its way. I have also cut out and glued onto the front of the smokebox a wing plate, onto which I affixed the smokebox door. As for the tender, I will be adding some weights, a coal base (where I'll glue some real coal eventually) and the wheels.

Once this is all done, there shouldn't be too much work left on the body.

New project- 0-4-0 shunter

Having had a spare Hornby 'pug', I felt like tinkering about a bit. I cut off the cab and replaced it with a cab from a spare Bachmann 'Emily' body, which was fitted further forward so as to give more space on the footplate. I also replaced the funnel with the 'Emily' funnel.

Coaches

The twelve wheel Pullman is nearing the stage for primer; the brass sides have been fitted, white metal fixtures on the chassis are fitted also, and I fitted two plug sockets for the bogies over the bolt-holes. Sadly the clips broke on one bogie and so I shall order some replacements. Now all that needs doing prior to primer is some filler, sanding and a bit of plastic strip for rainstrip and beading.

On the 'Henrietta' coach I have fitted the white metal buffers that were a part of the Pullman sprue, and tried to remove the glazing for priming and painting the body- sadly this hasn't worked too well, but if the glazing shatters I can replace it with PVA.

I also have been working on a short clerestory coach which I may fit to a four or six wheel chassis, and paint into olive green or possibly umber, so as to run it with an antique coach set.

That's that for now, many thanks for reading.

Alex

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:35 am

Hey everyone,

I finally met my deadline for my essays today and so, as a reward, I thought I'd indulge in a little modelling time.

The small green clerestory four wheel coach will now be bashed into an LBSCR-eqsue Pullman PUP luggage van, six wheel. The chassis at the moment is made up of one and a half four wheel wagon chassis, suitably trimmed down, and devoid of any framing below the waistline. I intend to add footboards and a new faux frame out of plasticard and to restructure the sides and body at some point a little, again possibly out of plasticard. The roof needs regluing, and the clerestory ends reshaping a little with sandpaper, possibly thinning in height, too. This will be painted up into the White Pullman Old Standard livery.

Image[/URL]

Clerestory Pullman

Both brass sides are on and the doors, affixed with Gorilla Glue. Pain to work with, but my GOD it's strong stuff. The layout is Hastings and St Leonard's MRC, by the way.

SR/LSWR C8

We're getting there slowly. I ordered a T9 tender chassis and the wheel keeper plate, and have affixed these to the tender. Also formed out of plasticard is a coal chute and fake coal top, for real coal to be glued to after painting.The wing plate behind the smokebox door may be replaced, but I'll see how it fixes up with a bit of filler. All that's really required now is a funnel and some handrails, some filling and the buffers (Hornby spares) before I start work on the chassis. I've spied a T9 'spares and repairs' chassis on eBay that's split at the bogie extension which I'm tempted to bid on. They're decent motors and it's solid, all I'd do is drill a new axle hole for the rear drivers and swap the chassis direction. Regarding tender wheels, I feel like I've looked everywhere and the eight wheel tender set is sold out- unless I go for Alan Gibson wheels, which would be nice but a bit costly. Still, here she is, yet to be given an identity for after painting:

My birthday

I truly love my grandmother, I do, but she surprised me with a Railroad 'Flying Scotsman' as an early birthday present (I'm away for my birthday visiting my partner so she said I might as well have it early). I like the model, don't get me wrong, but it's rather anachronistic for my region... Then again I did say I would run the odd 'preserved' train or just have silly fun running days so I'll keep the model and maybe tart it up.

I was also bought a Railroad Pullman car, which is rather nice. I believe the prototype car type saw use in the south, so I might jazz this up eventually with Comet parts. It did strike me, however, that the Pullman Railroad Parlous looks rather similar to the SECR Pullmans, such as Topaz, were one to take out a few centimetres along the length... Topaz is 57' 6'', a scale 23cm over the buffers. The Railroad Pullman is 26cm. Whilst the 3cm are easy to lose, I'd be concerned about the oval window on the single oval side... I suppose it could be grafted in. No clue what bogies she rides on, either- I can't find any that look remotely similar. Still, a future project in the works, methinks. Not sure about the livery, either; I like both SECR lake and Pullman Old Standard, so I'm undecided as of yet. Maybe I'll make two, one in each livery. Who knows?

Anyway, that's it for tonight, I hope you all find what I do interesting. I find it bloody frustrating, especially when glue doesn't seem to want to set...

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:35 am

Two quick things Alex.
Have you tried the GEL version of the gorrila glue? It's so easy to use compared to a more viscose glue.
Also, If I'm right in thinking that it's a Hornby product, what couplings does the Henrietta coach have? Would it be possible to direct swap for bachmann couplings or are they moulded on?
Thanks
End2end.
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:39 pm

Hello End2end,

The Henrietta model is the Bachmann Thomas product and comes with the mid-size tension lock coupling which screws on underneath the buffer-beam, aided by two guiding pins.

I haven't tried the gel form of it, the one I've used is the one where you have to wet one of the items to be glued and then it foams... I'll give the gel a go though

Alex

End2end

Postby End2end » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:10 pm

Many thanks for the info kiwitram. Would it possible for a quick photo of the whole underside please? An idea is forming. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:28 pm

Having had a spare Hornby 'pug', I felt like tinkering about a bit. I cut off the cab and replaced it with a cab from a spare Bachmann 'Emily' body, which was fitted further forward so as to give more space on the footplate. I also replaced the funnel with the 'Emily' funnel.

[Pedant Mode]
Ships have funnels, trains have chimneys :wink:
[/Pedant Mode]
Apparently it matters to some people :D
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:48 am

Bufferstop,

I knew it was one way or the other, I just can never remember which! :oops: :lol:

Still, at least I know. It's a bit obvious when you think about it haha.

E2E- I'll take a photograph of the undercarriage tomorrow (today? what is a sleeping pattern again?) and upload it for you.

Thanks,

Alex

Return to “The Workbench”