Alexandra's Workbench.

What are you up to on your workbench
Emettman

Re: Alex's ''Hermione Isle'' Locomotive Works

Postby Emettman » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:57 am

Great fun!

This might be one where a diesel power bogie in the tender is the most convenient motor.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:35 pm

Hey again everyone,

I've done a bit more tweaking (only minor) on my 'French' locomotive, which I'm provisionally calling Genevieve.

Whilst I'd cut down the cab roof in height, it still looked very boxy and the structure was weaker, so I decided to go the whole hog and remove the cab entirely.

It looks rather quirky as an open cab locomotive, however, I do prefer closed cabs and so I've been looking into replacement options. EDIT: I realise I forgot to mention that I'd cut down the metal block at the rear in terms of width to make it more suitable for replacing the cab structure. My initial thought was the GBL B12 static locomotive, as I'd also get the tender top, then I could save the other parts for other projects, but I'm not entirely convinced. Alternatively, the option of the GBL or Dapol City of Truro (probably the latter) for the cab, and for the front bogie, which I intend to cut in half as sadly the locomotive isn't long enough to run as a 4-2-2. Still, I've trimmed down the underside of the chassis, having cut at an angle, to allow for an ever so slightly larger front bogie/pony truck. Perhaps if I lengthen the front footplate slightly with the CoT kit, I might be able to utilise the full bogie and claim it as part of a rebuild when the locomotive was received by my railway company.

There is (if I've scaled the CoT drawing up correctly) about an 8mm difference between the end of the loco body frame and the end of the CoT cab in length, which doesn't sound too bad but scales up to almost 3 feet! So I suppose one solution could be to lengthen the firebox with a section of the tapered end of the CoT boiler, but I'm not too sure. We will find a solution here at Hermoine!

At least I have managed to work out that for the main single driving wheel, I'll need a Hornby LNER Pacific wheelset, which is one thing to cross off the list. My mind is made up on the drive mechanism; a Patriot tender drive underneath a Hornby B12 tender top, with coal rails added (I'm detecting a theme.) The single rear wheel drive on the locomotive didn't seem strong enough, and I anticipated a lot of wheel slip.

We'll get there in the end, I'm sure.

-Alex

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:20 am

Given the historic appearance of the loco, another option might be to permanently couple it or articulate it to a short inspection saloon (with the motor bogie under that (perhaps a long wheelbase Lima 4 wheel motor.)) A sizable tender might dwarf the little engine.

Chris

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:59 pm

Emettman wrote:Given the historic appearance of the loco, another option might be to permanently couple it or articulate it to a short inspection saloon (with the motor bogie under that (perhaps a long wheelbase Lima 4 wheel motor.)) A sizable tender might dwarf the little engine.

Chris

I had thought about that, but I'm not too sure I'd be capable of doing that yet. I still can't solder and my attempts at gluing involve drowning the plastic into submission!! Besides, I think I prefer the option of having a separate locomotive, but thanks for the suggestion :) I might incorporate it with an 0-4-0 at some point in the future. University project, anyone? 8)

Anyway, to the Genevieve project:

I scaled up some drawings of both the City class and the B12, and this is the result, having paired the various odds and sods with my (not) scale drawing of Genevieve.

The entire locomotive, with the City class cab, is 5.5cm over the funnel, with the height over the cab being 5cm. Without a coal load, the B12 tender is approximately 4.2cm high, which I feel leaves a fairly decent height difference between the locomotive and the tender.

However, the cab still sits far too forward on the locomotive, so I'll lengthen the boiler/firebox directly next to the cab.

The discrepancy is only around 8mm but it still needs to be remedied. Out of curiosity, I did look at the B12 cab, but I don't really think it carries the look as well as the City cab...

I've also decided I'll fit the drag beam from whichever locomotive I cannibalise for this project, as Genevieve's frames are rather sloppy without a back beam.

All thoughts are welcome,

Alex

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:46 pm

Hello all,

I was mulling over my plan for using City class parts, and so I did what I usually do and created a draft (hurray! cut and stick activity).

This was the result, using the City class forward frame, bogie and the rearward frame (granted the axle holes will be filled in.) I don't think it looks too bad, although it is still quite Anglian, not French. Perhaps with a livery and some judicious weathering it will improve. Not entirely sure about the handrail reaching down to the front frame, either. I felt it was too large a space to not have *something* but perhaps a curved handrail isn't it!

Nevertheless, it's starting to shape up as a plan, although I'm undecided as to whether I'd like to leave it as a 2-2-2 or create a 4-2-2 ''rebuild'' as in the picture...

Any suggestions?

Alex

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:46 pm

Hello everyone, I know it's been a while.

So my fortnight in Kent was not spent entirely at leisure- I was helping my grandmother with paperwork and clearing out rubbish following the passing of my grandfather in February.

I came across all sorts of bits and bobs that piqued my interest, including some railway themed postcards, a 90's 'famous trains' booklet... thing and plenty of Hornby sheets and catalogues, the latter of which are listed on eBay. In addition to all of this, I also finally found the holy grail: my Dad's old railway collection.

Without further ado, I give you:

Wagons galore, along with four of the ubiquitous Hornby 4 wheel coach. I'm half tempted to either cut them down in height or to do a cut and shut, as has been demonstrated on here before. All of these need their wheels replacing. I intend on fitting Bachmann E-Z mate to all of my goods stock for a tidier look, as I doubt I could afford to do a whole rake in Kadees. Then again, I've seen bags of Kadees on eBay for around £10-15.

A tender drive Patriot and a rather sweet little Pannier tank. The tender drive unit needs the armature replacing along with new carbon brushes and springs, and I might replace the valve gear on the locomotive (one screw's gone missing and as a result the whole bloody thing falls off.) For this locomotive I want to just fit new handrails on the tender, do some buffer beam detail and then lightly weather, possibly replace the coal. The drive unit I'd like to replace the wheels on, as two have traction tires and I'm not really a fan. The Pannier needs a whole new chassis- all of the locomotives were fitted with Zero-1 and although the decoders were a simple slot-in arrangement, there isn't really an easy option so far as I can see for DC/DCC running in future, plus a new chassis would provide me with the option for NEM couplings and have finer wheels. I'm going to paint the brass over in a more realistic colour, replace the coal and possibly fit a crew. There are some detailing records on various modelling forums so I'll just do the basics. I was tempted to repaint it entirely into black and weather it but I'm not sure.

Image Dad's old HST set is easy enough. Replace the lights with a kit from eBay, rewire it for full pick-ups, and replace the wheels with non-tired versions. I'd like to replace the armature with a five pole armature as well.

Finally, while I was doing a little research regarding my Genevieve project, I've discovered something rather interesting..

She's a genuine locomotive! A French 1-1-1 (2-2-2) tender locomotive, ''Saint Pierre'', built in 1844. She's preserved in the French railway museum at Mulhouse. But it gets even more interesting-

Keysers manufactured a kit of said locomotive. And here I am with a cheap and cheerful version of the beauty. We'll have to see what happens as I continue tinkering with her. The wheelset from Hornby arrived and fits like a dream, as does the A1 tender chassis with the wheelset I ordered for the Emily project. Didn't realise when I bought it that it comes with pickups so I'll be looking into buying a tender drawbar with wires that I can solder into the pickup set on the Emily locomotive. I did also order replacement buffers for my MK1 coaches but the holes need drilling out a little, some of them have buffer stems snapped inside. Everything's packed away at the moment as we've FINALLY got the mortgage set and a go-ahead to start moving into the new house in the next week hopefully so once we're moved in I'll get back to tinkering. While I'm at uni I won't have a proverbial pot to relieve myself in, but I'll try to buy some smaller project pieces and get set on those. Oh, I've just remembered- I ordered an old Lima (I think) 0-4-0 chassis, the sort that accepted the Ringfield motor at the back? It's a perfect fit for my Bagnall project, just need to adapt it to take a normal can motor and buy a Pug kit to bash over it.

If I have some cash at the beginning of the year or just before, I'll try to some track pieces or maybe a Peco track starter set. Almost all of my straight sections have bitten the dust now. I do also need a DCC controller for my transition into DCC.

Down in Kent I do have the Zero-1 controller along with a slave unit, paperwork bumf and three chips if anyone's either interested or has any ideas on what I can do with those.

Can't believe I move out in three weeks- exciting!

Alex

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:28 pm

Hello everyone,

Just an update on my Bachmann Stirling and Bagnall projects.

The Stirling

For starters, I'd begun to notice lately that the 'Emily' footplate was far too high, and too thick compared to the A1 tender chassis.
They looked very clearly mismatched, and it's been bothering me.

And so what followed was a fair bit of cutting (rather stupidly with just a saw blade; the majority of my things are currently in the new house waiting to be unpacked.) and filing.

The footplate has been thinned out, and, as I plan on remedying the incorrect splash box anyway, I cut the whole thing out and again filed it down for a key.

It's relatively easy to find photographs or drawings online, so I found a drawing of a 'standard' GN Single and cropped it on MS Paint to just be the locomotive, then I transferred the image to MS Word, and using the length of the 'Emily' body betwixt the cab and smokebox, and the height of the locomotive to the top of the boiler, scaled the picture appropriately. I then doubled the photo, and printed it, ready for mounting to thin styrene sheet and cutting out to an exact shape, including the splasher holes.

I hope this makes sense. As for fixing the height discrepancy, I'm tempted to lower the footplate a little where the steps will go and have a more 'flowing' line.

The Bagnall

This project has both entertained and frustrated me thus far, however, I feel I have made progress. The wheel base didn't appear right, it looked a little too long for a Bagnall (granted I haven't been able to find stats online but I'm just guestimating at this point) and the wheels were quite clumsy,the connecting rods and piston rods seized up or were out of sync... I was all ready to give up on the project when I thought again about what I could do.

The Hornby/Dapol pug's wheel set is available as a spare part online, and so I researched the wheelbase for the prototype. This came to 6' and I felt that it was perfect for my needs, and so drilled a new axle hole in the chassis. It is a bit sloppy but I'm sure with filler it'll come out fine.

The scale drawing demonstrates the new wheel base, and the revisions to be made to the body- for example, the cab has to be extended by about 1cm forward, as does the coal bunker.

The motor I obtained from 'Emily' is compact enough to be used in this project, and will be quite adequate for what I need it for. The loads won't be large, probably six wagons at a push or two bogie coaches for shunting. I was half tempted to try to add a small flywheel but there's no space, so copious amounts of lead weight and 'liquid gravity' are in order I think.

Anyway, I'll do another update soon, probably when I'm back in Kent or settling into my student digs.

Thanks for reading (if any of you still do..)

Alex

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:12 am

kiwitram wrote:
Thanks for reading (if any of you still do..)

Alex

Oh yes. There aren't so many "bashers" around that you can afford to lose track of one, or more.
It's not the commonest niche of the hobby.

Chris

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:11 pm

Still here Alex. I'm always very impressed by those who can bash a loco into something else entirely. I read all your posts with great interest. Keep em coming. :wink:

Paul

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:29 pm

Chris, Paul,

Thank you both! I always become a little worried when I have consecutive posts without a response but now I know my articles are still read I'm going to aim to try to get both of these projects completed by Christmas (if not both then just one).

I also have an idea in the pipeline but that'll be a whole new thread, and probably completed over the summer after my first year is completed at uni.

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:17 am

Hi Alex! Just to put the record straight - I read and enjoy all your posts too! Keep up the good work you're doing! :D
Carpe Diem!

Kindling

Postby Kindling » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:55 pm

I'm with rosenblad. I thoroughly enjoy your work.

Remember, the number of replies posted does not matter. Interest is demonstrated by the number of views as shown in the Workbench topic index, which, at the time of writing, is 3279. I would call that a lot of interest!

Best wishes. :)

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:36 am

Hello!

Just a quick update for today.

I'd made some transfers (well, designed them) on Microsoft Word by resizing and cropping a photo of a GNR N2 tank engine panel to the dimensions of the various tenders I've got for my GNR project. Here they are positioned on two of the tenders, and I just wanted a bit of feedback. I don't think they look too bad, although they're not very crisp or clear. I can't read the letters too well and the lining is blurred as well. They will most likely be revised, and possibly re-sized a little larger.

A quick trip to Wilko is in order for a spray can of Oxford Green which should match the darker green quite well. My grandmother has bought me an airbrush (admittedly I don't think it'll be all that good, the compressor is very weak) and so I'll try to use that for the lighter green, which I want to get colour matched with the transfers, at B&Q if I can (they should be able to, I'd have thought) before I commit to spraying.

So, I'm getting there slowly but surely.

Many thanks,

Alex

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:07 pm

I do read and enjoy all your posts Alex it's just that I am too amature to make any cohesive comments, apart from of course...Keep up the good work! :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi Alex. Looking good, but a few suggestions, if I may;

Resizing a photo may not be the best way to do it. I'd suggest doing it completely from scratch on the computer. You should be able to do this in word (or probably publisher's easier, I suspect if you've got one you've got the other). You can adjust the "weight" (thickness) and colour of lines and I don't reckon those corners should be too difficult to do. You may be able to find a funny shape that does the whole lot in one go. For the letters you may find a suitable font, or you can download one which is, either for free or a cost depending on what's available. Type the letters out all in one textbox and use the spacebar to get the correct spacing. Then copy/paste this and change the colour, and position it slightly offset o the original lettering and sort out whether it's in front or behind.

You can do all this at any size you like, then once you're done, "group all" and then adjust the size. This has the advantage in that what you have produced is a bitmap, which scales much better than a photo as it's not made up from pixels, and will come out much sharper.

Also, it's probably just the way it looks (I know things that look rough can in fact be glassy smooth!) but are yu using a finer grade f sandpaper or whatever to finish off?

Hope that helps. :)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

Return to “The Workbench”