My Rarely-Looked-At-Let-Alone-Worked-On Workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
memyselfand1

My Rarely-Looked-At-Let-Alone-Worked-On Workbench

Postby memyselfand1 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:47 am

Being that I now live 150km away from my trains, I very seldom get to actually run them. When I do, the most inaccessible point of track always needs cleaning, so nothing will run. It's a vicious cycle. I'm hoping that once my new house is a little tidier I'll be able to clear a space and work on my trains. Maybe I'll even clear a shelf and put a small layout on it. Who knows?
Aside from this, most of my time here is spent on the faulty locomotives I have, and persuading them to not be faulty.
So far, my (very cluttered) workbench has pieces of:
- Victorian Railways T Van
- Dapol Drewery Shunter
- Hornby 60154 Bon Accord (detailing)
covering it.

As well as that, my Pending road currently has:
- 30932 Blundell's (Schools Class - poor runner, but may be dirty track. The board connecting the wires in the loco to the decoder in the tender is quite corroded, oddly.)
- 60018 Sparrow Hawk (A4 - accident damaged, front bogie derails on corners)
- 32670 (Terrier - attempting to move decoder to shunter's truck and add extra pickups)
- 5972 (Castle Class - runs fine on DC, but refuses to run more than 1cm on DCC)
- 47789 Lindisfarne (needs extra weight, detailing. So far handrails have been filed off)
- Shay whitemetal kit (starting filing the mould marks)
- Victorian Railways P Van (painting - badly)
- Victorian Railways B Van (needs a little extra weight, and something to pull it)
- Mainline J72 (repainting into a pretty blue colour because I feel like it)

In preparation for coming home and clearing some of the above tasks, I went shopping, and purchased a shiny new airbrush and assorted paraphernalia in hopes of making my kit-building and repainting easier. However, it refused to actually spray anything, meaning that I've now taken it back to the shop, and resultingly am left with no airbrush and all of the crap I need for it.

Pictures:
Terrier with shunter's truck attached. The decoder has been moved - ideally I would have fit it into the box on top of the truck, but this is a solid weight, so it is wedged in above a support bar. The wires have been moved, with difficulty, into shrink tube. In order to do this, I had to unsolder the connections inside, and one set of wires now have a broken connection.

60154 comes into pieces quite neatly. The chassis has been removed, as well as the smokebox door and deflectors.

J72 before
And after
Painting on that particular publication is the best possible use for it.

VR wagons:
B wagon - louvre vans used for almost everything. I'm quite happy with how this one came up. Fitted with No 5 Kadee's, and waiting for me to find the decals and apply them.

P wagon - used for carrying explosives from the factory near Melbourne to various councils around Victoria. Not as happy with this one - my grey undercoat came out rather splotchy and horrible, and the top coat hasn't been much better.

T wagon - iced vans for carrying perishables. The three hatches in the roof contained ice to keep it cool.

Shay whitemetal kit - this will be interesting. Fortunately not motorised.

memyselfand1

Re: My Rarely-Looked-At-Let-Alone-Worked-On Workbench

Postby memyselfand1 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:30 am

Progress! To an extent.
A small area of my desk is now able to be cleared to give me a place for my cutting mat.
Yesterday during a gap in classes gave me a chance to do some (needless) shopping, resulting in the purchase of a new airbrush (different brand - if it still doesn't work I need a new compressor), paint (but nothing to put it on...), and a Hornby SDJR 0-6-0 split from a set that may potentially work for a project.
Previously, another T wagon was acquired, but I realised once I had assembled the body that I had purchased the shorter type, which requires cutting the body to length. A trip back to the shop to purchase a 15' underframe to suit, and onwards with construction. Presently the two are mostly painted, reqiuring another 1-2 topcoats, with one of them having the solebars attached and wheels rolling.
An Anbrico whitemetal traction engine kit also arrived a week or so ago, which along with the Shay will be very exciting to build.

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:38 am

I don't have an eBay addiction.
Not at all.
What I do however now have as a result of consistent activity on said site are:
1. Southern black T9 with sunshine lettering (314) - not too happy with this one. The livery is a little plain for my liking. It's also a six-wheel tender and wide cab, which isn't my favourite. I'm still debating whether or not to keep it.
2. Will's Finecast 8 wheel tender wide cab T9. Complete with ancient motor. This one will be finished in Southern dark green.
3. Lima SNCF 1220. Bought for a conversion project, but looking at the amount of work in remodelling, it would almost be easier to just scratchbuild a new body. In horrible condition, with no pantographs, rust on motor contact terminals, no screws etc. This may be a long-term restoration / conversion / testing ground for mods / repairs. I don't really know.
4. A small fleet of Lima DB locos, including a class 151 (not bad condition, frame split where motor is clipped in, one good condition pantograph), 103 (almost perfect condition, runs like a dream, no pantographs), V100 (Lima 4 wheel version - yeah... sounds like nails on a chalkboard), 1 Lima 4-wheel diesel shunter (pretty good, needs a repaint, and the buffers had been reglued to the body with resin), 1 Tyco 4-wheel diesel shunter (with a working headlight. Runs better than the Lima)
5. About 12 various freight and passenger wagons to match the DB stuff, in varying conditions.
6. L&YR Class 5 in LMS black.

30909 St Paul's arrived a while ago too. The damage isn't too severe - a relatively small hole and melting around just above the fake coal. I'm thinking I may just cover over it with more exciting looking coal. I also need a new decoder for it - preferably sound, but I'm not yet sure where to obtain a spare. To test its running I had to borrow the tender from the T9.

I also went a little crazy and purchased a new Bachmann Wainwright C Class (SR un-exciting green. The lovely preserved green model is currently around $10,000 on eBay - no exaggeration.) and L&YR Class 5 in BR black. I've been eying these two off for months now and finally gave in.

After going home for Easter and giving everything a run and check up, a few things became apparent.
1. I don't have enough room to store the current stock I have there, let alone the amount I now have in total.
2. I still can't reach the back corner to clean.
3. Derailments are annoying.
Many years ago, my room was occupied by a full round-the-room, with a large freight yard, a viaduct, tunnel with city on top etc. No scenery or detailing, other than green carpet in front of the viaduct and the hillside up to the town, because my father isn't really that type. This was removed a few years ago, and after a gap, my current 2.4x1.2m board on wheels was constructed. This board limits me to second and third radius, and in places requires some quite creative and not entirely suitable bending to make things fit together, and so recently I have been contemplating reinstating a similar system to original (minus the drawbridge in front of the door - that was a very short-lived idea). It is frustrating having this much stock, and large express engines, that can only go around 10 or so metres of track, one or maybe two at a time if I set the lines correctly.
Also the fact that one pacific (the A4) will derail on bends and points, and the Merchant Navy will not haul 3 Pullman coaches around the bend without persuasion (a push from a well placed Class 37), the Schools, one King, terrier will only run on perfectly clean track (so no running on the whole back section), which limits me to 2 class 37s, a 105, and one King that will actually run on the current track.

Following this running, I brought back 5972 and 30932 for overhauls.
5972 has long been a thorn in my side, as it will run happily on DC, but put a decoder in it and it will only move a few millimetres before stopping. So far I have removed the base, removed the wheels, cleaned the backs, cleaned the wipers, and resoldered the connections to the DCC plug since I did them horribly last time. The SoundTraxx decoder in the tender does not take 8 pin plug, so I will probably get an 8 pin harness and run it to the tender, then solder the decoder to that. Testing it with an 8 pin decoder has however inidcated some degree of success, as she will now run on the very short testing track I have.
30932 was one of my first digital locos, and has been through many a fall and mishap (including when I had the Select set to about a quarter speed and dialed her number in, causing her to go straight off the end of the siding she was in and straight off my table) with amazingly little damage. A while ago, after about the fourth wire break, I removed the tender and loco plug and hard-wired the connection, rather inelegantly. I'm now trying to tidy that up, and fix some detailing, like the cab handrails.

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:54 am

Procrastinating from a) uni assignments and b) cleaning my room. The T9 has been sitting on my desk for the last couple of days, and I've test-fitted a decoder to see it's running. It runs beautifully (despite one of the cats trying to bat at it as it went backwards and forwards), and the livery is kinda growing on me. A few detail parts have been broken, and I had not previously noticed. It currently has no cabside handrails, and is missing half of the tender handrail on one side, as well as a couple of lamp brackets. One of the pipes is also detached and loose on top of the firebox. There's also a chip out of one side of the roof.

memyselfand1 wrote:...
4. A small fleet of Lima DB locos, including a class 151 (not bad condition, frame split where motor is clipped in, one good condition pantograph), 103 (almost perfect condition, runs like a dream, no pantographs), V100 (Lima 4 wheel version - yeah... sounds like nails on a chalkboard)...

After writing this I decided to go through and do some test runs on my 40cm of Hornby curves. Nails on a chalkboard is not entirely accurate. A bag of nails in a washing machine might be a better description.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:58 pm

Traction problems ?
I always look for any space where lead can be added. A Merchant Navy that can't pull
3 coaches needs fixing.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:49 am

Dad-1 wrote:Traction problems ?
I always look for any space where lead can be added. A Merchant Navy that can't pull
3 coaches needs fixing.

Geoff T.

Now I actually think about it she's fine on the straights, but once she hits one of the curves in particular she starts slipping. I'll have to check again next time I'm back, but I have a feeling I tested without any coaches and she still slipped. I know I had to use some 'creative' geometry to get some pieces to line up, which I think now coming back to bite me in the posterior. All the more reason to start again...

It's raining today, better procrastinate.
I just missed out on a Vline A class half-built kit, which is a little annoying but typical.
Last night I took the liberty of ordering a set of springs and other miscellania for the A4 in the hopes that it will help it's derailing. If not I think the bogie mounting plate may be slightly bent, but it seems to sit okay in the slot.
I have also ordered parts to rebuild my (effectively scrapped) Stanier 4P.

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:56 am

Add a Wills Finecast A4 to that list. Oh dear...

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Sat May 02, 2015 2:58 am

Back home for the weekend. Last night I ran in the T9, both Class 5s, and the Class C. The Class C wasn't as good of a runner as I expected, especially compared to the tanks which both ran without any breaks. I also noticed that the tanks slowed significantly around the corner of derailment, so there is something exceptionally wrong there.
I've now chipped the T9 and one tank, but I only ordered one six-pin decoder :roll:, and now neither will move. I'm not sure if I just need to reset the addresses, or if I've done something stupid.
In an attempt to change chips in one of the Kings I managed to break a wire off a new plug, so I'll have to take that back to re-solder.
5972 following repairs still wouldn't move properly on the track, until I cleaned a section properly, upon which she flew forward and abruptly stopped at the end of the cleaned section.

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Sat May 09, 2015 3:28 pm

Brief follow-up:
The T9 not moving was due to me trying to call the wrong number. On the plus side, the decoder seems to work far better than it did in the King.
The Class 5 not moving... I have no idea. Because I'm cheap I only used a Bachmann 6-pin, and went in circles trying to configure it. Originally the address was coming up as 81, then as 2, and finally as 10 after about an hour of fiddling with a Hornby Elite, and later JMRI trying to a) read what it was and b) change it to 10. After this it ran, but with accel/decel of 0 and a linear speed curve. I haven't been able to change this despite many attempts, so I've given up for now.

The A4 kit has arrived, and was still all in little taped bundles... but sans chassis. That's a project for another day though.
I've also brought back my Hornby (totally not Railroad) A1 for a bit of a spruce up, including new nameplates, handrails, tender pickups etc.

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Wed May 13, 2015 3:38 am

My parts have arrived for the Stanier 4P, and a narrow cab 8 wheel tender T9 in BR black is heading my way. Apparently it needs some work and one of the tender connection wires is broken, but it does come with a decoder.
With only two weeks left in semester, things are starting to get a little hectic, and further updates aren't likely until after my exams in about a month. But being the studious individual I am...

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:31 am

The T9 arrived yesterday.
It was not secured in the box, meaning that the loco could fly around, and being a loose box in a postage satchel I'm sure it did.
Either way, it needs a lot of work, as was outlined in the listing. All lamp irons are bent / missing, the whistle pipe is disconnected and bent, the brake shoes on the tender were pointing inwards or missing, and the front left step, tender handbrake, tender cab sides, fallplate, cab handrails, coal and rear coupling are all missing. Another piece of pipework also fell out of the box when i pulled it out of the bag. as well as one of the rear buffers. The tender connection plug is fully stuffed and will almost certainly need replacement.
This is not to mention that the entire assembly that includes where the drawbar connects and wraps around the sides below the splashers is loose, and that when I tried to move the front bogie it hardly budged, until the piece of plastic holding it in came off, at which point it moved a little better.
I do seem to like my project locos...

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:42 pm

Exams are done... for this semester...
To add to my collection of fun is a Fleischmann N gauge diesel loco with a bad case of stuffed motor. This is my first loco not in H0 or 00 gauge, and so far I'm a little terrified by how small everything is. Nice box though.

After a brief return home 1 or 2 weeks ago I had another re-assessment of my current stock, and reaffirmed my complaint that there is nowhere near enough room to store or run everything. The existing turntable and carriage roads (see my layout thread for a diagram) are full, and I've still got 2 carriages and x locomotives here...
I've also discovered that I'm missing a 21-pin decoder somehow, but I don't remember ever taking it out of the box...

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:48 am

A sight not seen for quite a while has appeared on my desk - that of a Stanier 4P with wheels (no pictures because I'm locked out of Flickr again). So far I've refitted the motion gear (still needs tweaking), replaced the front pony truck (received the non-weathered version but whatever), replaced the bottom pickup plate (after several pauses to let my blood pressure decrease a bit, good god that is a horrible design), and that's about it. I still need to find the motor retainer and decoder, and check some of he motion gear. There's also a couple of small details missing from the body, but they're hardly noticeable.

I gave up and sold the new T9. I just didn't have the time or energy to deal with the broken motor retainer and other missing details.

Another impulse purchase is the motor carriage of a Hornby Pendolino, which I thought also came with the dummy car, but no. Externally it's in good condition (only missing the back wall) and is a nice looking model.

We've also started planning a small portable layout to fit in my room which is pretty exciting.

Until next time

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:08 am

I feel rather guilty reading your postings and never saying anything.
What a varied range of items !! You seem to like being a Mr Fixit.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

memyselfand1

Postby memyselfand1 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:43 am

Dad-1 wrote:I feel rather guilty reading your postings and never saying anything.
What a varied range of items !! You seem to like being a Mr Fixit.

Geoff T.

Thanks for your comments. It is a vary varied range, and if I have any say in it will become even more varied as time goes on.
Sometimes I enjoy fixing things, other times not so much. I just like the satisfaction of having to put effort into something to get it to work properly.

I retract my previous comments about the Pendolino being in good condition. At some point this unit seems to have had a collision at high speed, as there is a crack in the nose (the red light shines through when in reverse), and the plastic reflectors inside had detached. Very fiddly little buggers, and still not properly in place. The motor works, but it sounds more like a DMU than an EMU. The yellow paint on the front also has a strange black speckling across it, but that's not so much of an issue.
My partner wasn't particularly happy to find it sitting on my desk either...

I thought I'd posted about my kit-build T9, but apparently not. It's going to be stationary, since the wheels were already on the axle and I don't have a Romford driver, and there isn't a motor mounting block. I'l have to do somehting creative about the backhead though, since it's only half-height to accomodate the motor. The main frames are together, I just need to get some filler for the boiler join lines and the boiler can be fitted. Somehow it's taken hours to get to this stage...
I've got the A4 kit ready to go, but I need to test the Hornby chassis under it. If it works, then I'll procure another one for it, and if not, I'll put some bricks under it and say they left it stabled in a bad area until I can get a Triang / finecast chassis.

Until my next post

Return to “The Workbench”