Skyblue's workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
skyblue

Skyblue's workbench

Postby skyblue » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:43 pm

I've decided to start a 'workbench' thread to show what I've been working on recently, although the first few things will be completed items not 'work in progress'.

My repainted and repaired Lima Prairie. The original livery was very faded and some parts had broken off, including steps and one of the tank filler caps. These were replaced with components made from the sprues of Parkside Dundas wagon kits.

Sorry for the awful photo.

ParkeNd

Re: Skyblue's workbench

Postby ParkeNd » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:25 pm

I really like small prairies especially the slope tanked variety like this. It took me ages to find my green N gauge version. Everything that can be done to keep these models running is worthwhile. Nice work.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:05 am

skyblue,

You have my seal of approval as a real modeller, anyone who keeps sprue plastic & has
a spares box of useless bits - until you find a use, passes all the tests !!

I have 2 of those Lima small prairies & should re-number one, although the chance of wanting
to run both at the same time is almost non-existant.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:19 am

Very nice, a loco that is conspicuous by its absence in my collection, I shall have to look out for one. Was it brush painted, or sprayed? Either way an excellent job. :)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:26 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:a loco that is conspicuous by its absence in my collection, I shall have to look out for one.

And I've ordered one for christmas :D Just for a laugh, I've asked for the kit built one at about £3 to sit on my diorama, me, cheapskate - never! :lol:

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:58 am

flying scotsman123 wrote:Was it brush painted, or sprayed?

Brush painted with the wonderful Phoenix Precision Paints GWR green then given two coats of gloss varnish (thin coats) then transfers were applied, then one coat of matt varnish to tone it down a little. I actually finished this nearly three months ago but I only got back from University on Saturday so this is the first chance I've had to post a picture.

Here's a picture showing some more projects that I finished before going away.

The first vehicle in the train is a GWR Mink G built from the Parkside Dundas kit, and the fourth is a repainted Lima Mk1 BG.

I know these aren't really 'workbench' photographs but as I've been away for nearly 9 weeks I don't have any photos of 'work in progress'. If I get any modelling done over the next five and a half weeks at home I will post here.

Thanks for looking.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:45 am

Nowt wrong with pictures like that.

Perhaps it's time to ask how the first spell at 'Uni' went ?

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:44 am

Dad-1 wrote:Perhaps it's time to ask how the first spell at 'Uni' went ?

Busy and difficult, but interesting and enjoyable would be the answer to that. :)

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:35 pm

I've been weathering a few wagons recently, unfortunately my camera doesn't really show the weathering very well:

I'm quite pleased with the Presflo cement wagon - I think I've got something close to the weathering on the prototype. I'm not so happy with the weathering on the sand wagon though. The top of the Presflo isn't really as shiny as it looks!

Thanks for looking.

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:56 pm

I'd say both look pretty good to me, model railway photography can be a bugger, even decent compact cameras just don't do it often. :(

Inspired by your prairie repaint, I've bought myself the dapol kit instead as an early Christmas present - I say early, it hasn't arrived yet! It can sit on my diorama seeing as it's unpowered, I don't have any GWR green but I'm sure there's a 4 litre tin of the stuff in the C+W workshops at Winchcombe, I'll have to take along an empty humbrol tin! Hopefully I can use it to demonstrate home made transfers as well.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:39 pm

All I've done today is to repair two Parkside Dundas GWR wagons which had lost their couplings in heavy shunts - :oops:

I would say this is the main problem I have with the kits - the lack of any proper coupling socket in most of the kits means that the join to the wagon is quite weak and can be easily damaged. I can understand why they don't put a socket in as there are so many possible types.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:02 pm

Some progress on the Metcalfe low-relief terraced houses:

I still need to add the chimney, ridge tiles and some other detailing bits. I am building them without the front gardens to match the ones I built from the old version of the kit. I plan to add guttering from the Peco building detailing set. After that there is a second block of two houses which I haven't started yet.

And this has been taking up some of my time too (1:72 Eurofighter Typhoon):

Not railway related I know but I thought I'd share it.

Thanks for looking.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:55 pm

Yes you should have a red face - Heavy shunts indeed !!
Having said that my major concern with kits is their ability to take 'Normal Running' with coupling
up (gently) and uncoupling, in particular lift off uncoupling where considerable stress can go through
any couplings. I'm fitting Bachmann small with NEM pockets ........ Only time will tell.

Eurofighter Ehh, all too new for me. Last time I went in the loft a Vulcan wing slipped out of it's box.
I really should finish that pair ......

Geoff T.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:55 am

Dad-1 wrote:Yes you should have a red face - Heavy shunts indeed !!

One was due to the locomotive starting up suddenly instead of smoothly when I increased the power and the other was a result of me leaving the wagon on the main running line by accident then running a train into it! :oops:

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:07 am

Hi skyblue

Some nice modelling going on here. I love the wagon weathering in particular. I do not have any kit built stuff (is it available for modern era?) but I would love to have a go. I have been looking into the linka moulds as well, could be interesting.

Have you weathered the metcalfe kit? It looks toned down. Or maybe this is the photo. How would you recommend toning a card kit down? Would powders be better than paint?

Keep up the good work

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

Return to “The Workbench”