Sarah's Workshop....

What are you up to on your workbench
Ex-Pat

Re: Sarah's Workshop....

Post by Ex-Pat »

sarah wrote:
Ex-Pat wrote:Very nice job on the 1F - and the photos take me back to childhood in Derby, so much so that I would put money on the loco to the right of 41710 being 45509.

How did you find the Crownline kit instruction-wise and quality-wise?

Dare I start my Crownline J36 kit, or just wait for Hornby's announcement?
The instructions are OK....but the 1F does have an error, as the drawing shews the toolbox alongside the front splasher (Port or Left Side). All the photos I have so far seen shew the toolbox to be just behing the Lamp Iron, and just impinging on the front of the splasher (So I had to move mine!)

The drawing is a bit flaky, in that the photocopier must have been running low on toner?

The roof has half-etched lines to form the side edges...the instructions here a a bit vague, or I was not thinking correcty, twice!

The instructiins say to fold the edges horizontal.....but I folded them vertical....

Then I re-read the instructions, and folded them right over onto the roof....well almost horizontal I was thinking!

Finally it clicked....the photos shewed my error, the roof edges actually overhang the cab sides!

So, finally correct! ;)

The J36....a NBR Loco....nice!

http://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php? ... &id=601036

I would say that there are two options....

Wait and see, and possibly gasp at the pricing? (And sell the kit on? )

Build the model, and possibly sell it to "upgrade" later?
Thanks Sarah - your reply re-inforces the vital Rule Number 1 - always have a decent photo of the loco you are intending to model.

And as a generality - I find too many instructions in life seem to be written by somebody who knows what they are doing, but cannot put themself in the eyes or shoes of the customer.
RuffnutThorston

Post by RuffnutThorston »

GeraldH wrote:I do like your work on the Hornby Pannier, I got rid of mine a year or so ago, but having seen what you've produced I'm beginning to regret it :) .
There are many upgrade routes for the Hornby 2721...

A major upgrade would be to fit a Bachmann DCC Ready Pannier chassis....with th ecorrect wheelbase! Not that I have done so....yet! :)

If you do decide to geat another 2721, look for a later Railroad model, they have more seperate handrails and better safety valve casings than the earlier Hornby models, and tend to be cheaper than the "Main Range" later Hornby models ....

The main give-away are the handrails on the top of he tanks at the fromt....Early Hornby models have solid mouldings, later models have proper handrails here!

Early Hornby model... Solid mouldings...

Later Hornby model, with proper handrails...

Last edited by RuffnutThorston on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuffnutThorston

6C wrote:I fitted an early round window Bachmann Pannier cab to my 2721 to get an approximation of a cabbed 2021 class - not a quality job like your mods. though :oops:
The 2021 Class was one of those fitted with bells for Birkenhead Docks traffic....

A good idea for the Bacmann Cab....

I chose the preserved loco 41708 after thinking hard about the vacuum brake ejector fiied to the Hornby Jinty...

In the end I removed it, and chose to run the loco as a goods only loco.

We have pleny of Vaccum fitted locos!

If we were to run in "preserved line mode", to use some of the "funny trains" that do not fit in with 1950s North Wales, the lack of retro fitted Vaccum brakes will not be that noticable! ;)
RuffnutThorston

A Happy New Year to all our readers!

My latest build is an old Aifix BR Standard Brake Van. ( I have also finished the Airfix 16 Tom Mineral wagon, and added Brass Torpedo vents to a Parkside SR PMV and Ks SR CCT. The same vents have also been used on the Brake Van...)

All handrails replaced with wire.

New wheels and pin point brass bearings.

Nem pockets fitted with Kadee Nem #18 I think...

Now awaiting paint hardening, then some gloss varnish forthe transfers....then mattish varnish, and a little dirt....it is meant to be vertually brand new!

(I have also been busy putting the photos back into the Ffrwd Locks thread on this Forum....;) )
RuffnutThorston

Re: Sarah's Workshop....Airfix BR Brake Van....

The Airfix BR Standard Brake Van.

Brass bearings and Hornby Disk wheels fitted.

Nem coulping pockets fitted to Parkside mountings, and Kadee NEM couplings...

Markits Brass Torpedo vents fitted to the roof.

All moulded on handrails replaced with wire.

Plastic glazing added to the cabin ends, duckets glazed with PVA glue...

The axle-boxes needed drilling out slightly to fit the bearings.

Plain (Not Top Hat type) brass bearings were used to get enough clearence for the Hornby Disk Wheels.

Last edited by RuffnutThorston on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuffnutThorston

The Dapol (Ex Airfix) Mineral Wagon...

Replacement Hornby (or Bachmann?) Disk Wheels in brass bearings.

Brake gear modified to one set of brake shoes and a cross link shaft.

Dapol NEM coupling pockets fitted with Kadee NEM Couplings.

Old Modelmaster transfers...

Now finished.

The supplied plastic load has had a metal washer glued on underneath, so can be easily removed with a magnet-on-a-stick...

The doors will open, for posing in the coal yard siding!

Together with the Airfix BR Standard Brake Van...

[url=https:/postimg.cc/image/m09mbh811/]Image[/url]

Last edited by RuffnutThorston on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuffnutThorston

Hornby DCC Fitted (Hornby 4-pin decoder) LMS 3f "Jinty" converted to the Midland Railway 1F 0-6-0T using the Crownline conversion kit, which was designed to fit the earlier "Front Wheel Drive" "Jinty" chassis.

Some slight modification to some kit parts, mainly the cab floor, were needed!

Almsost Finished!

Still needs the Sandbox filler in the side tanks filled....and BR Early Emblems!

Some more photos of the Hornby/ Crownline LMS 1F 0-6-0T...

Last edited by RuffnutThorston on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Awesome! Top modelling. The mineral wagon just needs a few spots of rust :)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
RuffnutThorston

Thanks for the comments....

In the period represented by Ffrwd Locks, this Mineral Wagon is still pretty much brand new! ;)

I have fitted the NEM coupling mountings to the Airfix Cattle Wagon and Meat Van Chassis....some paint now required.

Over the last few days, he 1F has had the sandbox filler fiillled and painted, and small Early Emblem HMRS Transfers added....next is a coat of matt varnish....
RuffnutThorston

Re: Sarah's Workshop....Almost Finished ...the 1F

All that is really needed now is a smolebox number plate, fire irons, and a loco crew!

The "storm sheet" has been made from the foil from a wine bottle cork cover! Inspired ny Iain Rice (Detailing RTR locos book. He used toothpaste tube (metal)...but that is now scarce....;)

The retaining ropes are sewing cotton....

BR Early Emblems from HMRS BR Loco & Coach presfix sheet...I had to resist putting the bigger versions on! ;)

Last edited by RuffnutThorston on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuffnutThorston

Re: Sarah's Workshop....The Cattle Wagon...

The chassis has been weighted with laed sheet underneath...

The brake cross shaft and Vacuum Cylinder linkage has been represented with wire...

Finished....

The original Airfix transfers tended to break up on application, especially the wagon numbers, which needed some replacements from a HMRS Presfix sheet.

This was one of the more recent Airfix kits (The pictured instructions being from a much earlier kit!) and were worse than th eolder transfers used on the Brake Van and Meat Van!

20g of extra weights were added inside the wagon, at each end...2 X 10g...

The "Clean" and "Do Not Feed" legends are from an old Modelmasters chalk lettering sheet...

Last edited by RuffnutThorston on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RuffnutThorston

Re: Sarah's Workshop....The Meat Van...

The chassis was going to be weighted with lead sheet underneath...but I got hold of some better weights.

These were too big to go under the floor, so were added on top of the floor to either end...20g in 2X 10g weights.

The brake cross shaft and Vacuum Cylinder linkage has been represented with wire...

Finished...well almost!

The roof is not glued on yet.

I may add some interior detail....and I do not know what colour the inside should be! ;)

The "Crewe" legend is from an old Modelmasters chalk lettering sheet...

This kit transfer sheet actually came with more than one wagon number....

Last edited by RuffnutThorston on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

You've been busy! I like the opening doors. Is a lovely feature to see. Nice work. :)
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I like the "Chalk", very nice touch. (Noted for future purchase)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
RuffnutThorston

Mountain wrote:You've been busy! I like the opening doors. Is a lovely feature to see. Nice work. :)
The opening doors are a feature of the Airfix Meat Van and Cattle Wagon kits. (Also the 16 Ton Mineral Wagon, and the Interfrigo Ferry van as well!)

In the case of the meat van, one side door hinge broke, and so that side is now glued shut.

The Cattle wagon top doors use the same hinges as the Meat Van doors.

The bottom door uses the same hinges as the 16 Ton Mineral Wagon.

It can be a bit of a problem keeping the hinges free of paint!

The chalk transfers are OK, but a lot of the writing seems to be a bit on the large size.

The sheets do include the "Condemmed" Cross-in-a-circle, and the word "Condemmed" as well....