Sarah's Workshop....

What are you up to on your workbench
sarah

Re: Sarah's Workshop....

Postby sarah » Thu May 17, 2018 8:00 pm

Interesting that...

I would really like one of the MR models....but cannot justify the cost so far! :(

sarah

Oxford Rail 6 Wheel 'Toad' Later Plated Version...Modified.

Postby sarah » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:22 pm

Oxford Rail 6 Wheel 'Toad' Later Plated Version...Modified

The Later 'Plated' versions of the Oxford Rail GWR 'Toad' Brakevans have a few small problems....

The plating does not extend to the ends....

The 'rear' window is wrong. (Being apparently based on a preserved Toad with modifications!)

There are two lamp irons on the 'rear' sides, that should not be there. (Very early Toads had hatches in the sides to allow side lamps to be placed on these lamp irons, but the model does not have the hatches....which were done away with by the GWR anyway!)

Dismantled Toad...there are two screws under the NEM pockets. The body is a bit awkward to remove, as the spigots of the buffers protude through the buffer beams, and get in the way of removing the body...the body is also a very good fit onto the base...

But with much struggling I succeeded in parting the parts from each other!

The base, whch has some details, which are basically invisible when assembled. The representation of the stove is not very good though!

The body inside...the partition is not glued in place, so can be removed easily...

Chassis underside, shewing the screw holes ....access will usually involve removing some ofthe delicate brake rodding!

The 'rear' window and the side windows,are one piece of clazing, glued in place. The large 'wrong' window was cut out very carefully from the two side windows. The window framing was cut out very carefully, and the framing around the outside of what should in fact be a hatch to allow acess to the 'rear' lamp bracket, made good. I used a new Hornby GWR Toad model to copy the details!

The two side windows were kept to one side, to be re-fitted after painting...

The hole was patched on the inside with a plasticard patch, slightly bigger than the hole. The hatch was made from plasticard scribed for planking, and glued into the hole.

Plating on the 'rear' was added using plasticard, again the Hornby model was used as a pattern....unfortunately, I got two thicknesses mixed up, and the 'rear' plating was made too thick....and I didn't notice until it was glued in place! :(

Some rivet detail was added by using a pointed tool on the 'inside', using the Hornby Toad as inspiration!

The 'rear' lamp iron needed moving. The actual iron is metal, 'L' shaped, and fits into a hole. The base of the lamp iron is moulded into the body...so this needed carving off, and a new hole and lamp iron base added to the plating...

The two 'rear' side lamp irons were removed, lamp iron bases carved off, and the small holes filled.

The 'front' or veranda end was plated in the same way....but I used thinner plastic card this time!

A representation of the lever to operate the 'rear' sandboxes mounted on the veranda side of the partition was made from a piece of wire, painted with a white end. Also, some plastic strip and rod was used to make a representation of the veranda end sanbox operating lever and rods...Again copied from the Hornby model...

The result is not in any way perfect, as the framing should be on top of the plating....but I think it looks a bit better than planking?

The body was re-painted BR unfitted stock grey, as there was a small diffeence in the colour applied by Oxford Rail.

New lettering (Croes Newydd) and numbers to be added....and the small holes need a little more filling....

sarah

Brush Type 4 Co-Co (Class 47) D1677 'THOR'...

Postby sarah » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:59 am

Something I have been working towards for some time now...

A model of the Brush Type 4 Co-Co (Class 47) D1677 named 'THOR'...

This was actually the second '47' to receive the nameplates August 29th 1966), as the first, D1671 (September 1965), was scrapped after being involved in a fatal accident on the night of December 16th/17th 1965 , involving derailment by a landslip and susequent collision with a Class 37 (EE Type 3 Co-Co), D6983, which was also scrapped....

http://class47.co.uk/c47_numbers.php?s_loco=1671

D1677 was later numbered 47 091 (1974), then 47 647 (1986), then 47 846 (1990)

http://class47.co.uk/c47_numbers.php?index=6&jndex=2&kndex=77&s_loco=1677

This is a Lima body (Lima L204633) in BR Two tone green with yellow front and cab windows, on a Hornby Railroad chassis, with TTS DCC Decoder fitted.

The nameplates are from Modelmaster.

I have removed the old numbers, 47 369 and backdated the cab areas into Yellow Panel livery, from the Yellow end and windows.

The new numbers are 'Wolf' rub-down from Modelmasters.....a pity there wasn't a complete number for D1677, it was fun!

I have also cut out the headcode boxes, and drilled out the tail lights....and fitted a driver in each end.

Lighting is a distinct possibilty.....sometime! ;)

The headcodes are temporary ones, from an old Hornby Class 37 sheet....

Couplings are Kadee NEM, #18 or #19 I think....

Last edited by sarah on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:03 pm

Love the models Sarah.

Excellent work throughout.

Thanks for sharing.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

sarah

Postby sarah » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:39 pm

Thanks....

I have now put up all the photos of 'THOR'.....so far! ;)

Return to “The Workbench”