Sarah's Workshop....

What are you up to on your workbench
glencairn

Re: Sarah's Workshop....

Postby glencairn » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:25 pm

Just caught this thread. Lovely looking models.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:37 pm

Look spot on.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:56 pm

sarah wrote:I will try to be more regular here as well! ;)
16 months is regular?! :o :D
Nice work there. From a local lass!
Any chance you can fix the pics earlier in the post?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

sarah

Postby sarah » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks forthe comments....

As I said earlier...

Oh....so not quite so regular! :oops:

:)

The Photobucket problem will be resolved eventually....

No one expected them to go all expensive! :(

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:28 am

Hi Sarah,

Best of luck sorting out the PB problem.
It's taken me months to reinstate about a 1000 photographs.
Just refuse to be beaten !

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

sarah

Postby sarah » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks for the encouragement.

Though I probably still have the original photo files on a disk....I have been downloading from PB....

The first few photos on this thread have been re-instated....more WILL follow in time! ;)

sarah

Postby sarah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:36 am

sarah wrote:Thanks for the encouragement.

Though I probably still have the original photo files on a disk....I have been downloading from PB....

The first few photos on this thread have been re-instated....more WILL follow in time! ;)

UPDATE:

All the early pages on this thread are now fully illustrated again! :)

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:27 pm

Thanks for that!! Always good to see how others go about making projects I have on the go or plan to do, makes me realise I shouldn't have glued the roof on my PMV yet though! Doh!!!

sarah

Postby sarah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:56 pm

The PMV window bars can be obtained as etches from Roxey Mouldings...

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/477/4a124-sr-window-bars-for-pmv/cct/

Of course I didn't find these until I had made them out of Plastic Strips!

BUT I did manage to forget that!

And bought enough for 3 vehicles!

:o

:lol:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:17 pm

That's like the feeling you get when you want a loco that is not available, but find a similar loco and convert it to look something like the loco you wanted... Then, as soon as you have finished someone announces a RTR version is on its way!
See below ↓

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:11 pm

sarah wrote:The PMV window bars can be obtained as etches from Roxey Mouldings...

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/477/4a124-sr-window-bars-for-pmv/cct/

Of course I didn't find these until I had made them out of Plastic Strips!

BUT I did manage to forget that!

And bought enough for 3 vehicles!

:o

:lol:

Nice one! Will be ordering those.. I think Geoff was wondering about the window bars in his wagon work bench thread too

sarah

Postby sarah » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Mountain wrote:That's like the feeling you get when you want a loco that is not available, but find a similar loco and convert it to look something like the loco you wanted... Then, as soon as you have finished someone announces a RTR version is on its way!

In my case, I have to put the pricing of a nice new RTR loco against a Kit to build one, or to modify another one...

The old Crownline conversion kits were really rather good....It is a shame they are no longer made.

Perfect for converting the new Railroad models to something else, or just better detailed.

There was a kit t o convert a Hornby Jinty to the Midland Half Cab type, as now made RTR by Bachmann.

Though this kit was made to fit the "front whel drive" chassis type, it can be made to fit the Railroad type, but the cab floor needs a chunk taken out of it. (This was found out after glueing it in place, but before the glue had totally cured! :roll: )

Yes, I managed to pick up one of the Crownline kits at a train fair....and am now getting near the end of the "build"....

The brake gear also needs slight modification to fit the newer chassis, otherwise the coupling rods foul the brakes!

I have yet to photo this loco, or the Wills P class body kit, and Dean Sidings P class kit...these were both rather cheap, as it seems that people are ditching the kits to buy the new Hattons P Class locos! :)

In the case of the GWR "Dukedog", a loco I have long wanted to build from the Kitnaster / Airfix / Dapol "City Of Truro" kit and other parts....

In the end, I bought a Bachmann version.....as the model had come down in price to something more affordable.

This has now been fitted with a Hornby "Castle" TTS DCC Sound decoder. This needed the 21 pin socket removing, and the decoder hardwiring, as the tender will not take a 21 pin to 8 pin converter, as the tender body is not deep enough. It will not take anything thicker than a 21 pin decoder.

On the other hand, the Hornby TTS Speaker is a perfect fit into the speaker mount included in the tender chassis! :) :D
Last edited by sarah on Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:13 pm

I like the Dukedogs. They were probably the most amazing looking locos to be built in the mid 1930's and as they were made from the best parts of the Dukes and the Bulldogs, it was a case of recycling at its best and extended the life of the two previous designs for another 20 years.
See below ↓

sarah

Postby sarah » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:52 pm

RE: Dukedogs.

It was on a train to Horstead Keyenes that the sight of the Bluebells "Earl Of Berkley"'s rods going around that got me hooked! ;)

There was a kit t o convert a Hornby Jinty to the Midland Half Cab type, as now made RTR by Bachmann.

Though this kit was made to fit the "front whel drive" chassis type, it can be made to fit the Railroad type, but the cab floor needs a chunk taken out of it. (This was found out after glueing it in place, but before the glue had totally cured! :roll: )

Yes, I managed to pick up one of the Crownline kits at a train fair....and am now getting near the end of the "build"....

The brake gear also needs slight modification to fit the newer chassis, otherwise the coupling rods foul the brakes!

I have finally managed to get a coiple of pics of the 1F....It has just been numbered 41708, the preserved example, but also inspired by a photo of 41706....until looking again at the photo, I had mis-read this as 41708!

The mineral wagon is the Ex Airfix Dapol kit....it has also just been transfered!

41706....Bristol Bath Road....I think!

6C

Postby 6C » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 pm

Loving the old 1F - I am also trying to revitalise a 'finished' Crownline version, with the new Type 7? 0-6-0 chassis.

Loads of them at Birkenhead - open and closed cabs - so has to be done.
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Return to “The Workbench”