Chris Brown (Emettman)'s workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
Mountain

Re: Chris Brown (Emettman)'s workbench

Postby Mountain » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:50 pm

Out of interest, where can one buy brass gears for modern China 0-4-0's?
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:30 pm

Mountain wrote:Out of interest, where can one buy brass gears for modern China 0-4-0's?

Sorry, can't help: my re-gearings have all been with nylon gears except for the occasional recycling out of the scrap box.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:53 pm

The worms and gears of the Triang designed twin worm motor bogie will fit but I've found that a new nylon worm and gear is a better bet. It's difficult to see the wear on the nylon but replacing with genuinely new ones does make a difference.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:54 am

The reason why I asked is I have a 7mm narrow gauge Smallbroke Studio "Clio" which I've added weight to via adding coal bunkers with lead in them. The saddle tank already has lead. All was good. However I then decided to make a Triang 0-4-0 chassis fit using the modern motor, gears, wheels, axles and rods. It involved a lot of filing etc and eventually got them married up to fit. The gears are new. The issue I have is it is now quite weighty where it will not wheelslip. On its last run it pulled about ten 00 gauge coaches. I'm concerned the nylon gears may not be up to the job with the new found adhesion.
The idea was if brass gears were available I'd change all three locos, but in reality only this one is the concern. I could always just ream out the glued in liquid lead from the bunkers if I'm careful I guess!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:29 pm

When I have tried those motors matched to steel and brass gears, the extra friction in the gears raises the starting voltage, negating any speed reduction the gears might provide. The plastic chassis, with nylon gears and a low powered motor is actually a very well executed bit of cost engineering. The Triang designed chassis from Nellie,Polly et. al. belongs in the age of heroic design which, had the grunt from the X04 to make it move. I have a Nellie with the newer wheels and rods using the old gear with Pug cylinders and motion grafted on. It's a later model with a Johnson motor

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:04 pm

How does it run? The Triang chassis I converted runs extremely freely until I added some pickups! Still is not too bad.
Sorry Emmettman. Just realised I'd hijacked your thread!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Runs OK but pulls twice the current of the best plastic chassis's models.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:18 pm

Partial update.

I've had to take some time off from here, and most other places, as my chronic fatigue has been worse and needed near total rest.
I've recovered to a degree, but am going to have to run on an even more reduced energy budget.

I've decided to shut down my OO engine works, as I've done most of the experimenting I intended to, unto the 4th and 5th generation, and have more working radio-control battery locos than I'm ever likely to truly need.

The last ones have been "interesting", and I will try and provide some photos and details shortly.
The two closing developments have been:
1) with surprisingly tiny locos
2) with getting proportional control 2.4 ghz radio control into small locos at an economical price.

What comes next I'm not sure.
Quite possibly trying to sort out the "photo mess"!

Chris

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:21 am

Glad to see you back. Thought I'd add a PIC just because I learnt how to do it! :mrgreen: Radio control is very tempting. Not sure it would fit in my loco without its cab being full of battery! I was tempted at one point but for the extra cost and lack of space on the locos. I worked it out I have room for the little electrical bits and would convert the locos to 3volt motors, but space for batteries would need to be in the cabs.
Attachments
IMG_20170417_174332.jpg

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:33 pm

Mountain wrote: I worked it out I have room for the little electrical bits and would convert the locos to 3volt motors, but space for batteries would need to be in the cabs.

It all depends on the chips, the motors and the batteries.
I've found much smaller motors than I started with, and I've used more batteries of different shapes for onboard charging, while keeping to a pair of rechargeable AAA's where space is relatively plentiful

The last piece for my O-16.5 railway, the mixed train railcar set. Ex LGB Gnomy.
IR control with 2AA batteries Simplest of all wiring up.
To decide on crew, passengers, and boxes to mostyl fill the part-open door,

DSC01023.JPG

R/C conversion of Liliput armoured railcar.
I was originally going to make a 2 car set, permanently coupled, so that the batteries could be in one vehicle and the motor/chip in the other, but I managed all in one, using just 2 1/2 AAA batteries and on-board recharging.

DSC01014.JPG

Two smallish locos (std dock loco is there for reference) with 2.4 GHZ chips and proportional control compact 3.7v rechargeable battery.
The best match motor, so far, turns out to be the relatively large low-inertia type.

DSC01008.JPG

DSC01010.JPG

Now getting odder? On Rt, a dock shunter conversion using the Lima shunter chassis: comes out slightly lower.
and for a really restricted loading gauge, a small power bogie with the metal body from the Matchbox diesel.
It was fun to do... once.

DSC01013.JPG

Chris.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:44 pm

Continued....

Now two locos put together from scraps, again just aiming for locos for small spaces and finding the (approximate) limits.
Reversing my usual method, I made the "works" first, and then assembled bodies to "just fit" over them.

DSC01018.JPG

And finally...
I had an 0-6-0 Terrier body and chassis, but I could not get it running smoothly: catching, quartering? It eluded me.
So I took drastic measures and the loco below resulted
Still needs crew, couplings etc, but yes it does run. Smoothly. With four of its six Terrier wheels.

DSC01020.JPG

Final proof that I'm totally mad?

Chris

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:33 am

You have quite a collection of little shunters. :D

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:56 am

Mountain wrote:You have quite a collection of little shunters. :D

Far more than I'll ever need, but getting better installations kept me building and re-building.
On the Smoky Joe / Caledonian Pug, I have done a couple with nothing showing in the open cab, (after a few attempts) so your cab could be kept free.

Chris

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:29 am

The little pug has gone from a little blue loco that I can't really remember the railway. Then it was a green narrow gauge loco. My first ever attempt back in the early to mid 1990's. I converted it back to 00 using a Triang cab from one of those 0-4-0's with a big rectangular dome. Then after about a decade I removed the cab in order to use it as a narrow gauge loco. It stayed cabless but featureless (As in no 7mm narrow gauge features) for about five years waiting for me to do something to it! Well, now I have but it is not quite finished yet. I have yet to make and fit some home made couplings. I've filled in and deepened the bufferbeams so they are ready to accept the centre buffer couplings.
(See pics of coupling fitted to one of my other locos).
Attachments
IMG_20170822_150806.jpg
IMG_20170822_150739.jpg

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:28 am

Finally got my Christmas Window up and working.

Two trains:
OO Santa loco pulling a bogie wagon with six dancing Santas. (down to 6" radius)

32mm gauge (down to 10" radius" either with a motorised sleigh or a Santa loco(cut down from an ancient Xmas train set.)

The penguins (on holiday from the south) are operated by a timer button outside the window.

DSC01041.JPG

DSC01040.JPG

DSC01042.JPG

Chris

Return to “The Workbench”