Chris Brown (Emettman)'s workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
Bufferstop

Re: Chris Brown (Emettman)'s workbench

Post by Bufferstop »

The rods will get some sort of knob at some point.
Fasten handle of soldering iron in vice, take plastic topped map pin in one hand, pliers in the other, hold pin against iron and when it gets uncomfortable pull out pin.
Touch soldering iron against rod, then push on the plastic "head"
I pre-prepare mine with a short rod then join it to the main rod behind the side frame of the baseboard, using the brass bit and its screws from a choc-block connector. With a bit of forward planning the connector can be made to act as a stop to prevent pulling too hard on the rod.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

My new sweetie: this one is: quiet, smooth, tiny.

A shortened Hornby 0-4-0 on a shortened Lima 0-4-0 chassis. Cab back-plate added for concealment.

The red wheels have got to go black though, haven't they? Really not GWR, not really British.

On the same track as the Gnomy 0-16.5 steam tram.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

They are very GWR as it looks in keeping with the early 1900's and before which did use a lot of red in the lower regions. So as the shortened version is fictitious, the livery is well in keeping as it is. The model really looks the part as it is. :)
Beynac

Post by Beynac »

Well done ! SWMBO allows you to work in the kitchen :?: :mrgreen:
I'm just a guy who wants to play with his toys. Image
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Beynac wrote:Well done ! SWMBO allows you to work in the kitchen :?: :mrgreen:
There is no...

"One is one and all alone and ever more shall be so"
And no, that's not really down to my blatant model railwayism.

Chris.
Beynac

Post by Beynac »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm just a guy who wants to play with his toys. Image
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The shortened wheelbase looks far better, what surprised me, is the wheelbase of the original chassis is about right for the real 101, it "Smokey Joe" that got stretched by a foot.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

The GWR 101 was the first I saw to use this chassis so I believe the chassis was made for this loco. To save cost it was adapted elsewhere. The GWR 101 was an economical and more practical compromise having simplified rods, larger wheels for better current collection and shared the motor, conrods and wheelbase with the last of the Triang 0-4-0's.
If any model Hornby have made can be described as a bread and butter earner, surely it is the various little 0-4-0 shunters in their various forms over the years. Thousands must have been sold by now!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Emettman wrote:Image
It's the Picasso express! :lol:
I do enjoy your crazy ideas Emettman, I really do. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Mountain wrote: The GWR 101 was an economical and more practical compromise having simplified rods, larger wheels for better current collection and shared the motor, conrods and wheelbase with the last of the Triang 0-4-0's.
No 101 continued Hornby's practice of basing it's little 0-4-0 on a protoype. Nellie could be traced back to an LSWR C14, but grew a little to fit it all in. No 101 matches up quite well to the only photo and drawing I've ever seen of her. It was built as a test bed for Holden's oil firing system, which like many GWR trials was never allowed to run for long, then converted to a coke burner, working first on the Wrington Vale branch, then as a yard shunter at Swindon until the one off boiler was due for replacement, at which point it was scrapped.
I'm not sure which came next, but the chassis, minus the conrods and cylinders was used for an 0-4-0 diesel, and the full chassis was used for the CR Pug/Smokey Joe, which was produced with a diecast footplate to give it a little more weight. but again the dimensions were allowed to expand, the wheelbase was about a foot too long, so an extra foot was introduced into the saddle tank, behind the dome I think. The section of firebox between the tank and the cab front was raised to clear the back end of the motor.
The same chassis has also been used in an cut price 0-4-0 Thomas, and as Percy. They then had second thoughts and no more 0-4-0 Thomas models appeared but the body was used without a face as a freelance side tank. The early versions are renown as pocket rockets, some being very difficult to run slowly. At one time Dad-1 and I each had one example that would crawl along when needed to and so we were unlikely to see another smooth running one for years, however recent China made examples do seem to be more tameable. Worth knowing if you have a favourite one but wish it was less frisky, a quick chassis swap may be all that's needed.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Although the Triang/Hornby 0-4-0's have mainly been stretched to suit available chassis (see also the D class example) my main reason for "bobbing" or "pugging" a few was not to re-approach historical accuracy (a happy side-effect if it occurs.)

The main aim was to reduce end throw, so as to ease coupling issues on very tight curves. (for ultra-compact displays or layouts)
OK it's also fun to produce non-standard versions of that limited range of oh-so-familiar 0-4-0 locos.

Chris.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I picked up a really smooth running chassis at a small exhibition in Harrogate. Looking for body to adorn it I found a dome with its flared base damaged, a GWR safety valve bonnet and part of a smokebox with chimney attached. The simplest body I could envisage was a short pannier tank, so that's what I built. All I had to do was convince myself that it could have existed. Then I remembered No.s 1101 - 1106, they had started life as Avonside dock tanks similar to the Cadbury locos with a cut down cab. When they were absorbed into the GWR, Swindon did its usual makeover and sent them back to the docks to do what they were built for. In my version of the story, sometime later an extra one was needed, Swindon said it was busy so they passed the job on to Wolverhampton along with a set of cylinders and gear for a railmotor. At Stafford road they weren't to happy about being lumbered with it so they cut down some bits intended for a pannier tank, and to everyone's surprised it turned into a useful little shunter. It took the next number in the sequence so to this day it's no. 1107.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

1101 and the few like it... Were they not in use for many years in Swansea docks?
The GWR 101 I had when they first came out I found was impressive. As I was young speed was fun, but ris isn't what impressed me the most. I layed my straight track (Hornby R600 and R601) from my parents bedroom to our bedroom of our old cottage (Built before the 1100's and had no attic due to design) so I could get a good length, and had every coach II had which was 11 back then consisting of a mix of Triang/Hornby Mk1's and Lima Mk1's and may have included the Mk3 from the HST... and it pulled the lot at speed many times in both directions! Yes, it was wheelslipping... I had fun! These are the fond memories....
The later China made types have blackened wheels and some are fast and some are slow. I believe all new ones are slow, though they did go for years with a mix so one was not sure which one one had until it was tested. The pickups were improved on all but, the pickups became more complicated and flimsy to the better quality older ones that simply slotted in place.
The first motor used for the UK made models was actually a nice motor with replaceable slot in brushes held with springs. Today's motor feels somewhat cheap in comparison, but performs well for its application.
Wheels... Well. They were never made to be finescale. They have solid backs to aid pickups and are larger then the prototype so the GWR 101 could negotiate the Hornby points and diamond crossings without problems (As long as the pick ups are adjusted effectively).
I remember one Hornby 0-4-0 loco that had a body not based on a UK outline prototype and it had square axles. The usual Hornby motor, wheels and rods were used except the gearwheel on the axle needed a square hole for the axle.
Mine didn't really run too well. The wheel finish was cruder then the standard 101 type so dirt would build up... The whole thing was rather crude and cheap compared to the GWR 101 which itself was budget. My square axle loco was broken up for other projects which didn't get far in my teenage years!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

It's a shame about that original motor, far better made than the later tin cans, it was a Johnson motor but it was wound for use in Scalextric cars, no wonder it went like a bat out of hell. There's an alternative set of gears if you can find them, the worm and gears from the original Hymek. They are the same diameter but a closer pitch. They need a thin shim under the front end of the motor to reduce the friction in the bottom of the mesh.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

The older Triang frames were lovely though , especially with the X03 type motors.....The build quality was excellent. Just needed some refinement.