Chris Brown (Emettman)'s workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
Emettman

Chris Brown (Emettman)'s workbench

Postby Emettman » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:10 pm

Two very cheap recently acquired Jouef Diesel shunters.

The basic problem with these has has always been that they only had drive to a single axle.
I thought it might be time to see about trying to re-work that.
The idea with getting two was that of using both the geared axles on one loco and giving the remaining body a chassis from elsewhere.

I've never seen one of these with two axle drive, but there is most decidedly a lay shaft mounting already in place, and it turns out to be a pretty simple job to fit two sets of crown and pinion gears to couple up the second axle.
I won't need that extra chassis.

These two will now get low-revving motors, batteries and radio control (of two different frequencies.)
They don't have much internal volume, but it is all free and conveniently arranged.
I think it can be done.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Emettman

Re: Chris Brown (Emettman)'s workbench

Postby Emettman » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Fitting motors for the Jouef Playcraft shunters has gone well.

Plenty of room for the control chips in the cab space, and I may be able to keep it below window level.

So far so good. I'm holding off the soldering small wires stage on several locos until I am a bit less tired.

Including this, my latest:

From a Jouef Class 29 I have taken the bogies to use separately, the both have 4-wheel drive.
Here getting the gearing and motor mount came first, before I started thinking about what body might fit over the top.
It's coming out remarkably compact and tidy.

The original vertical spindle gives a 2:1 reduction to the driving wheels so with a a worm and 48 tooth gear the drive is 96:1

Now, what to turn it into, It really was compact, so I'm going for a reduced dock shunter.

This has lost one bay of doors/vents. from four to three, and some trimming and modification at the rear.
Some work below the footplate level remains, and I'm going to move the horn forward and fit a slightly more prominent exhaust in its place.

I thought of naming it "Baby" but that might just turn into "Duvalier" going a step further.

Again, so far so good.

An almost instant out of the scrap-box and into the window was a Halloween display.
I've dome better ones before, but this was quicker and less effort than restoring either of those to being properly operational
Faller mini playtrain locos and track intended for a Sylvanian families display layout got glow in the dark zombies from my garden railway, and a chunk of scenery with a life-size zombie pirate's head from a layout four years ago.

It looked and worked better than I had feared.

Chris

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:46 pm

Chris,

You are nuts !!
However everyone should have a mad professor ....
Love it.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:22 pm

AWNUTS I was. I made the cover twice.
And got my photo in a Dutch newspaper for "exhibiting".

Mad Professor I have always been.
And of the three poles of the model railway world, where one extreme is the historical purist, who will move the loco's front foot-steps if the manufacturer has got them 1/2 a mm out of position...
...To the fury of the extreme of the second pole, the collectors, who don't mind if a loco never moves as long as it is mint and in their possession, down to the authentic and original tissue paper...
but who are utterly incomprehensible to the pole which extends out from the moderate liking playing with trains, to liking playing with unusual trains , or playing with trains unusually to...

...Well it's the madness that keeps me sane.

I once thought the Bachmann Lyn looked too long, especially compared to my other little G scale locos.
What I did to the the box illustration looked OK to me so, yes, I did it to the loco too.
It was much better-behaved on tight curves after that.

Chris

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:24 pm

Just a quick stopgap between the Halloween display and the Christmas one

Most of my uranium glass collection with a bit of it being pulled round a very tight oval (about 6" radius at the sharp ends) by a Hornby 0-4-0 with some UV glow paint added. The performance of the long car transporter wagon is impressive and ludicrous.
There is an outside push-button switch to make the train go, in addition to an on-off one inside.

My work capacity is getting lower.
I may have to do something ultra quick and dirty and then call it a day for a while.

Chris

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Interesting - is it something you have been interested in for a long time - uranium glass?

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:28 pm

I really love the motor mount in the red diesel, third photo from the top! You're nuts in a very good way! :D
Carpe Diem!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:01 pm

rosenblad wrote:I really love the motor mount in the red diesel, third photo from the top! You're nuts in a very good way! :D

Those Playcraft bogies are turning out to be very handy.
The odd angle of the motor is A) because it is the most compact in plan view and B) just out of the plane of the gear wheel (about 15 degrees, but by eye) so the teeth of the worm gear come in at 90 to the large gear, it not having bevelled teeth.
I do like the glued balsa mounts because if the mesh isn't spot-on you just split (or even half-split) the balsa along the grain and make a tiny adjustment.
That red diesel chassis has, I think, come out a bit too fast, but I'm nearly ready with a matching bogie with double the reduction and I will compare the two before going Dr Frankenstein on the first one.

Yes I am mad. I admit it.
My last exhibition layout was a portable G scale layout where the public drove the locos and operated the points.

Chris.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:07 pm

Just a quickie testing of an idea.
Though it works well enough that I may only build a neat and tidy version if it has to appear in public.

Traffic generator for a standard inglenook:

Having found a cheap source for assorted dice that ran to eight colours...
The plastic "coke can" is big enough to shuffle them well, and the tube (with a little internal funnel to prevent jamming) instantly selects and displays five out of eight.
Round marbles in eight colours I could not locate cheaply, and I'm not sure if round beads would serve well enough. They would allow something more compact.
If in practice it bothers me I will paint out the dots.
(unmarked white dice are available as an alternate route, for marking up, but I reckoned the pre-coloured ones would have a tougher finish.)

Chris

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:52 pm

That's a good idea.

brit-in-bama

Postby brit-in-bama » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:16 am

If in practice it bothers me I will paint out the dots.
you could always use the dots to add another layer of complexity, over here in the states I think your idea would go down great as there are lots of people doing shunting puzzles and working to a timetable, and they use various card/dice and other random versions to give random train consists and destination routes, that looks well thought out, compact, and with a bit of thought would be very presentable, perhaps use a "bottled water" bottle instead of a coke can, as it has a natural funnel to feed the five of the eight die into the tube, I am sure some here could give lots of ways to use the numbers on the dice, everything on a railway is controlled by numbers.
great idea.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:31 am

brit-in-bama wrote:... perhaps use a "bottled water" bottle instead of a coke can, as it has a natural funnel to feed the five of the eight die into the tube, I am sure some here could give lots of ways to use the numbers on the dice, everything on a railway is controlled by numbers.
great idea.

The water bottle idea is excellent. I will check on that.
For the numbers (or other markings) on the dice to make a difference I think a square extension tube would be required, to force a definite orientation of the dice. That's no problem.

Cheers!

oldynewby

Postby oldynewby » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:38 am

Emettman wrote:For the numbers (or other markings) on the dice to make a difference I think a square extension tube would be required, to force a definite orientation of the dice. That's no problem.

Cheers!

Or just mask off the "back" of the tube.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:23 am

My brain is mulling ideas in this area. It may have had a good one, but experimentation will decide.

Meanwhile the loco for the next bit of the Christmas window display has appeared.

The body of a clockwork Hornby Percy, (found without cab roof or chimney)
Looking at this "quick and shiny" as opposed to a "quick and dirty" job, I think there might be something there for another one in more normal colours, but with one or a pair of old-time weatherboards to finish the cab area. (Santa is 35mm tall despite losing his right leg, not OO scale.)

Chris

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:55 pm

Back to something only slightly more sensible for my latest outing to battery power radio control.

Yes, the top is a familiar Holden tank engine (though the cab now has a backplate)
Below that, however...

The Bachmann chassis I have had around for twelve years or more, and it has finally got the conversion I always intended, though not in the scale I originally had in mind.
2-2-2? By image, anyway.
Functionally it's an 0-2-2-2-0.

And if there was a prototype anywhere near this I will be shocked.
But I likes it, and it is happy there in the photo on a 10" radius curve.
There's room for a fair bit of weight, so it should be useful for inglenook shunting.

(Coming up, Underground Ernie power car to double Fairlie)

Chris

Return to “The Workbench”