Bufferstop's Bench Confessions of an Unrepentant Basher

What are you up to on your workbench
Bufferstop

Re: Bufferstop's Workbench Today

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Well as I said, I've taken another Hornby Dublo signal and hacked it about a bit.
these are the remnants of the Ratio signal, the bits I viciously pulled off the HD signal and a bit of white painted steel rod the purpose of which will become clear. The square baseplate which I cut away from the signal, shows just what makes them a good candidate for rebuilding. These castings were made in the 1950's and they are tough enough to have survived 60 years of abuse. I had intended to slice through the base vertically to gain another 3mm on the length of the post. I was wearing down a slitting disc faster than the MAZAK casting, so I gave up and cut the post off flush with the surface using a junior hacksaw.

Now you can see where the steel rod comes in. I've drilled a 2mm hole in the end of the post and glued in a length of the steel rod.
Before going further I've checked the site of the post for clearance from rolling stock and drilled a hole to take the rod. Holding the camera over that bit of track showes a reballasting job that needs doing. That bit of track was straightened out when I re used the viaduct section from my previous layout. It's lack of ballast isn't too obvious when standing looking at it.
Finally the assembled signal in place. I'm working my way through the signals using old Hornby Dublo ones as a basis for conversion. Non have been produced since the early sixties take over of Hornby by what was then Triang. The posts are only slightly overscale and have survived remarkably well. I rummage through the boxes of "junk" on the stalls at swapmeets and can pick up battered but complete examples for £1 - £2. Remarkably the working bits can usually be straightened out and still work. It's a shame they were dropped in favour of Triang's overscale plastic jobs.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bufferstop

Re: Bufferstop's Workbench Today Well how about that

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:52 pm

Looking for something else entirely I got a real surprise. When I bashed this little beauty just for my own amusement -
I was certain I'd never seen one, well perhaps I hadn't but someone else had and they had a camera with them.
img28.gif
img28.gif (204.64 KiB) Viewed 1658 times

I was a tad out with the dome and safety valve bonnet but I reckon it got a new boiler so the moved them a bit and fitted a better cab and bunker.
Here's what they said about it
Messrs Powlesland & Mason, another concern with lines in the Swansea Docks, also had a number of locomotives which were taken over by the GWR in 1924. This one, No 5, became GWR 795, was sold in 1929 to the Pontadawe Tinplate Works, where it received the name Dorothy. Seen below at their works in 1958.
There really is a prototype for everything :)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:28 pm

John,

Even in B&W I can see you got the colour wrong !!
You crazy model bashing vandal, the only other question is,
Does it work ?

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:28 pm

My version works beyond my expectations. Its Hornby 0-4-0 chassis must have been assembled by the same Chinese as your Marylin. I never did the module on quality control, but I reckon once in a while they must put together one where the tolerances actually match.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:25 pm

One in ever 100,000 you have one I have the other ?

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Re: Bufferstop's Workbench Making the point (ughhh)

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:30 pm

Probably right there Geoff. Either Murphy or Sod says that where tolerances are specified as plus or minus something, they'll always come together in the least good combination for either ease of assembly or quality of operation.

Bufferstop

Re: Confessions of an Unrepentant Basher. Christmas is comin

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:28 am

The "workbench" has been a bit quiet of late as I've decamped to a spot where the stairs come up into the living room. These show the reason why.
Isn't Christmas without a train under the tree even if this year's tree has gone all trendy minimalist! I thought "minimalist tree needs minimalist train" so I dug out the old Jouef Decauville tank and some NG kit built rolling stock. The one thing I dislike doing with flexitrack is bending tight radii(radiusssis) so I scratched my head a bit and several coffees and teas later I had a method.
The base would be a sheet of 6mm MDF, topped with foamboard with a circular channel into which I would lay the track, it had got to come out circular. I needed a circle marking and cutting tool. I'm sure my dad would have called it a trammel. So one piece of MDF, One piece of foam board, a short piece of stripwwod, one large bolt, a watchmakers crew driver and a snap-off craft knife and I was away.
the top photo shows the MDF base which I marked out by scratching with the screwdriver through the first hole on th trammel. I cut it with the jigsaw, it's now waiting for the foam board. Which I then marked out with a pencil through three holes at decreasing diameters. I made notches in the edge of this wonder tool to line up with the pencil drawn rings and working from the outside inwards, with the knife held in the notches, I cut, the complete disk, the outside diameter of the circle of track and the inside diameter of the track. This gave me and outer ring which I glued down on the edge of the base, a ring for where the track would go and a central disk which I glued down centred with the bolt.
When the glue had taken hold I tried the track in its channnel and discovered that the rails were going to be a bit too inset for my liking. Using the ring which had been cut out for the track I marked out a few pieces of 2mm card to stick to the bottom of the channel, then track laying began in earnest. Actually it required no more than a few patches of PVA and half a dozen track pins in the joints to close the circle. Two wires soldered on and a quick test to prove that it ran and it was all left to set whilst I cleared off to the NEC and Warley. I'll continue the gripping tale next time.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:38 am

Knowing the speed those things go it should clear the gap in the track at the back! Picked up an original one (usually the cab is broken/missing/modified) for £25 not so long ago...

You could have used the new Peco 9" set track crazy track or got hold of some 6" radius Joueff/Egger track! ;)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:33 pm

The intention was to use as much as possible from what I had. So far the only expenditure has been the frilly tinsel from Ikea to hide the legs (more on this later) and the last pack of snowy trees from the Noch stand at Warley. Those little Jouef loco's always go like the proverbial. I bought one when they first appeared around 1967, the current one I bought around 1986 or so.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Bufferstop wrote:There really is a prototype for everything :)

Give it a couple more days, and I should have a challenge for you on that.
Hornby Holden GWR body, slightly modified, on a Bachmann chassis, heavily modified.

Down to some painting, apart from its innards.
Coming to my workbench soon.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Re: Bufferstop's Workbench at last!

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:22 pm

Heck, it's cracking on 3 months since I looked in here. I did build the Christmas roundy roundy, and I've done a bit of experimenting on making signal arms, and then there's this.

Watching the recent run of Still Open All Hours I thought it might be fun to modify MikeM's Arkwright's Shop to be a bit closer to how it appeared in the series. Working mainly from half a dozen screen grabs from a recording, I created a replacement first page for the PDF file, then added some bits and pieces to add the shopfront extension and bay windows. There's still one or two bits of detail to do, including the tables out front with trays of merchandise on them. Lunch today involved a seeded sub roll, and the inside of the wrapper when I pulled it out had loads of little seeds stuck to it, They are currently drying on top of the range and will be destined for topping on thick card trays with the odd dab of acrylics to give them some colour.
It's the Leamington and Warwick MRC show tomorrow and Sunday, I'm hoping to pick up some brass angle cranks so I can get on with my resurrected Hornby Dublo signals.

End2end

Re: Bufferstop's Workbench at last!

Postby End2end » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:41 pm

That's ger...ger...ger...ger...great stuff ..ber...ber..ber...ber.... Bufferstop ...as Arkwright would say :lol:
Just as a side note, I also have been watching the new series .. still open all hours with Granville now as the shopkeeper and some of the original cast including the lady herself Miss Gladys Emmanuel :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Re: Confessions of an Unrepentant Basher. Wire in tube Signa

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:33 pm

"On my workbench today we have..." we won't be looking there, it's not fit to be seen, but this is what I'm working on.
I'm changing the signal where the tracks split for the two platforms for a junction signal rather than a single arm with a dummy theatre style indicator. I'm using refurbished Hornby Dublo die-cast ones, I think these came from the Milton Keynes MRC exhibition when I went to see Dad-1's layout in action.
Due to it's position I can't use my favourite "straightened paper clip and brass bits from choc connectors" mechanism, so it's wire in tube and a thingummy to connect the wires to push rods. Here's the thingummy
It's three bits of stripwood glued and pinned using bits of a cocktail stick as the pins. The rods are 1.5mm plastic coated steel rod that I harvested from an old magazine binder, the poly tube is held in place by blobs of glue from a hot glue gun, it seems to be the only glue that will hold on to the tube. the brass bits from the connector have a flat filed on the bottom and the end of the wire is hooked into it from the inside, ensuring that it gets clamped when the screws are tightened up. The connectors on the end of the rods form an adjustable stop when the rods are pulled, the knobs against the facia board are the stop when they are pushed. As you can see I found the knobs in the stationery cupboard. They are only loosely fitted until everything is fitted up then they'll get a drop of superglue to hold them on. The colurs match the lines on my track diagram for identification.
Finally here it is loosely fitted in place, but not yet connected to the signal.
Only one screw so far as I'm sure I'll need to take it out before it's all finished. I managed to get the signal absolutely side on to the camera, it's the vertical white stripe with the black line in it. The black is the edge of the wrought iron bracket that holds the cross timber steady. I'll need to finish off most of the detail on the signal before I connect it up, as once the wires are connected I'll only be able to lift it an inch or so above the board. Fortunately It's the only signal where I cant fit my usual push rod system most of which can be lowered in dangling from the signal base.

Bufferstop

Re: Bufferstop's Workbench, Christmas comes early.

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:48 pm

My much put upon Expo drill, has been making some unpleasant noises of late, the sort that say the spindle bearings are K******d, or my old engineering practice teacher would have said "good for drilling tapered holes". After much deliberation and there being a good discount, I put in my order. This is what arrived today.
Proxxon.jpg
Proxxon.jpg (84.04 KiB) Viewed 1025 times

Not made it down to the workbench yet but ready to go. A chunk or two of German engineering. I've got no excuse now for sloppy fit, and out of square assemblies.

Dad-1

Re: Bufferstop's Workbench Christmas comes early.

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:22 am

Hi Bufferstop.

Still looking for an easy way out ?
I thought half the 'fun' of modelling was making something that looks quite good
using a blunt knife, old worn bit of wet 'n' dry and a £1.00 multi set of drill bits
bought at the market and drilling hand held !!

Very nice, there are times when I wish I wasn't so tight fisted.

Geoff T.

Return to “The Workbench”