Bufferstop's Bench Confessions of an Unrepentant Basher

What are you up to on your workbench
Bufferstop

Re: Confessions of an Unrepentant Basher. P7 the "Thing"

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:58 pm

Don't know what take they are on now, but their "Miss Marple" is sitting in the sun on a bench at the end of the branch line station. I think she's staying put until they send a proper train for her! You've probably come across her before in the old Airfix passengers set, there's a stereotypical CID inspector in Gaberdine mac and trilby hat as well.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bufferstop

Re: Bufferstop's Bench Confessions of an Unrepentant Basher

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:59 pm

Gosh an update after only six months, so what's on the workbench? Well this was it's just made it onto the rails.
You may recognise it as a Bachmann Henrietta given a bit of a repaint. First job was to get rid of those four-by-two planks the TV and film boys had nailed to the sides I didn't make too bad a job of it, left the sides quite smooth once I'd got at 'em with the wet and dry, but the lower panels I covered with a printed job on glossy photo paper, the balcony floor and steps got treated to something that looks more like timber, the plastic wheels I swapped for Hornby three hole wagon wheels and I replaced the Mainline style couplers with Bachman slimline ones. I use the longer bodied version and drilled an extra hole closer to the coupling, so when they are screwed in place the locating tabs press against the back of their spigots not over them,closes up the buffer gaps a treat, just a bit tighter than you get with the short coupling. Just right to compliment the Peckett.

[PS] Looking at the previous post, perhaps the film crew sent this combo down the line to collect their "Miss Marple"

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:23 pm

Flushed with success, and having a couple of spare bogies (diamond frame rather than the prototype ones) I decided I'd have a go at the bogie version. A search of images turned up this
Bogie version.png
Bogie version.png (2.78 KiB) Viewed 750 times

It was labelled as "non comercial re-use with modification", which I figure is what I'm doing. I've resized it, and imported it into the software for my Cameo Cutter and now I'm about half way through creating a row of 19 little rectangular cut boxes which I'll superimpose over the windows. I think I can manage to cut out the outline myself.
After that I intend to print the full thing on photo paper, with registration marks, then load the print into the cutter and cut out the windows. Then remove the drawing but leave the cut lines and registration and cut a further two sets on thin card. Progress report tomorrow.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:26 pm

Well 19 little rectangles set in 19 window openings, then I printed out the image on photo cardstock.
The registration marks are scanned by the cutter and used as the datum line for the cut. And here is
It's a darned sight easier than half an hour with the scalpel. I did consider blanking out all of the image appart from the maroon side panels, but I chose the easy option as I may have disturbed the alignment of the cutting lines in the process. Unfortunately the cutter software doesn't support grouping and ungrouping elements so it's easy to move the wrong thing. There's a paid for version, must find out if that does.
Once the top layer was printed I turned off the registration scanning and cut the same pattern on two sheets of plain card, so that I could stack them with a sheet of clear plastic between the two inner layers.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:42 pm

A bit more progress.

This is one of the few images
that I don't have filed for upload.
I'am looking for it and once
located it will return.
Thank you PhotoBucket

The sides are laminated from the photo card print & cut, a plain card cut, a sheet of clear plastic and a buff card cut for the inside. The roof is another lamination of a sheet of black card cut to the required size and just slightly smaller a sheet of white card, PVA glued together then placed on a large diameter card tube a tightly bound in place with a sheet of stiff paper and left overnight.
The chassis is one I made some time ago from thick card and wood strip, cut down to length and mounted on a pair of Ratio diamond frame bogies fitted with Lima 9mm wheels on Hornby axles with Romford shouldered brass bearings. I abandoned the bolsters supplied by Ratio, and used two Hornby power bogie wheels glued to the underside of the floor as mounting bosses.
(Tip) Ratio bogies are pivoted horizontally from a plate which serves as a bearing and anchor for the coupler. Drill a hole in the bogie stretcher so that it can be fully assembled before screwing it to the body.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:50 pm

Fascinating build John, I've only seen a couple of coaches constructed this way before.I'm curiou as to what you say about no grouping in the software. When I bought my portrait cutter the software that came with that can deal with grouping easily, just Ctrl+G I think, or right click and there's a couple of different grouping options with different subtleties.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:53 pm

Cohh .... Another 3D printer on the roll !!
Surely too advanced for me !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:55 pm

Two steps forward one step back. Hit a snag finishing off the coach and like things do the solution turned into a whole new project. More on this later. Back to the coach, a mystery parcel arrived today. Lets just say that when I reveal it contents and my plans, I will need to put on body armour if there are likely to be collectors around.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:41 pm

This job has been ongoing since July so it realy is time to post some of the progress. Let me introduce you to an original Triang supposedly Mk1 coach.
Triang coach 1.jpg

about the only thing it has going for it is the roof hasn't curled up banana shaped.
Having hacked out the bogie pivots I took a junior hacksaw to the ends and chopped off everything outboard of the door hinge line. I made good the holes in the floor with a piece of 40thou plasticard which extended far enough to support the end balconies and steps.
Triang coach 2.jpg

excuse the poor focus I was getting rather too close for the camera in my phone. The two silver objects are Joueff wheels which serve as pivot plates for a pair of Ratio diamond frame bogies. Long sessions of filling, rubbing down, applying grey primer, eventually got it to this.
Triang coach 3.jpg

Standing in the foreground are the Ratio bogies, fitted with Lima's underscale wheels. The bogie is hung from a bolster plate which supports the body through the wheels glued to the underside of the body. This arrangement allows the bogies to rock back and forth whilst the bolster remains level, an extension to the bolster carries the coupling. The bogies are inset far enough to clear the backs of the steps. This put the long mini tensionlock couplers about 1mm too close to the buffers, so I drew a replacement part with a longer extension and 3D printed some. After which it was time for some final colour, it took about 5 coats rubbing down between applications. Then I painted the inside surfaces (artists acrylic poster paint in "Buckskin Brown". I drew the seats, a back to back pair and a single one for the ends. I took an hour and a half for my 3D printer to produce sufficient of each plus a couple of spares, whilst I got on with fitting some glazing. The plastic around the window openings is quite thin so a didn't attempt to flush glaze them I just attached a single strip along each side with double sided tape, plus two end pieces the same way.
Triang coach 4.jpg

Once the 3D printer had finshed I glued all of the seats to a piece of card, which stays in place by friction as the internal floor.
Triang coach 5.jpg

That's where I've reached, I still have the balconies and their railings to finish off, and the underfloor detail. I've printed off two end railings, but I'll not fit them until I have some brass rod to make the supports which go from floor to the cantrail and have one end fitted into the coach body. The printed railings are rather delicate despite the individual rods being a scale 2" thick. I don't think you could produce anything thinner and strong enough by etching, and my soldering isn't up to fabricating them in brass.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Bufferstop wrote:This job has been ongoing since July so it realy is time to post some of the progress.

What have you got planned for the older metal bogies? Also I have seen an ideal coach to go with that one at a reasonable price as well.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:02 pm

That sounds like delicate railings, not I think something to be stored in a box.
I suppose you can safely leave on the layout.
Interesting work - I'm still miffed by 3D printing !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:43 pm

I'm still at the experimenting stage with the 3D. The bits I've produced for this conversion are fairly basic shapes but they would be laborious to make by hand. Both the steps and handrails are basically the same "ladder frame" object to draw, their small size means they are printed in a fraction of the time it would take to build one up from rod or cut and assemble one from sheet.
It seems possible to get down to an extrusion of around 0.5mm which is quite flexible, retains its shape over a length of about 30mm, and is springy enough to straighten out if pushed. Attachment is the weak point, printing as part of a larger object is best, otherwise it needs something to encapsulate with glue or cement.
My next experiment with it is to print onto a bed of clear plastic. I think I can fool it into compensating for the base layer by putting a patch of the same stuff in the corner where it checks the bed height when it starts each print. Just need to find the right plastic to print onto. It needs to weld at around 200C

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:18 pm

Well I've more or less finished the coach, I'll keep tatting about tidying up the paintwork for weeks to come, but it's other wise finished.
Image20171107_120644 by John Williams, on Flickr
I don't know if using the old Triang body saved any effort over building one from plasticard, but it gave me some practice in modifying RTR which I haven't done so completely before. It was a bit of luck finding one with a straight roof, most are banana shaped by now. I got in a little more experience using the 3D printer as well.
Mountain - I lobbed the old bogies in the spare bits box, and when I pulled them out one of them had crumbled away at one corner. Presumably my ministrations with drill and screwdriver blade had released old tensions and the diecasting just collapsed. Now what's next for attention.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Mountain - I lobbed the old bogies in the spare bits box, and when I pulled them out one of them had crumbled away at one corner. Presumably my ministrations with drill and screwdriver blade had released old tensions and the diecasting just collapsed. Now what's next for attention.

Did you see the link I PM'd you with a similar style coach in it for sale?
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:22 pm

No I missed that,Yours was probably one of the two PMs I couldn't find. For about a week it was telling me I had two unread PMs, yet there weren't any to be found! Can you send it again if it's still relevant? Wonder who the other one was from.
Thanks
John W

Return to “The Workbench”