Bufferstop's Bench Confessions of an Unrepentant Basher

What are you up to on your workbench
Bufferstop

The Basher Tries 3D

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:01 pm

If you find missing pictures in this thread, please PM me I should be able to supply a replacement one

My layout has reached the stage where any changes are quite minor and most of what I do is on what passes as my workbench. So I thought I should have something akin to a workbench thread. This is it. As the title shows I'm proud to be a member of the Brigade of Bashers. We grew up modelling in the late '50s early '60s when the output of the manufacturers was very thin and often not very good. We were determined not to let the non availability of RTR models, or lack of engineering skills get in the way of running models of prototypes we chose. Tools were inevitably basic handheld, we may have run to a pillar stand for the hand drill, which also sufficed for turning small items, when laid on its back. Materials were thin brass, tinplate, balsa, obechi and card. This stuff called plasticard had just been introduced and we were probably getting high on the fumes of MEK, or if we couldn't get that there was a household cleaner called Thawpit which worked but was a ferocious solvent if used in too great a quantity.

I still enjoy putting together models using the practises of that time, and here are a couple of locos that I have been working on.
This is a Bagnall saddle tank which is resident at the Chasewater Railway. It carries the name Harwarden after the steel works where it spent most of its working life. Its chassis is two brass side plates sandwiching spacer blocks built up from layers of plasticard.
The saddle tank which is the major component of the body was cut from plastic water pipe, the cylinders and slidebars are spares for the ex Dapol Pug. It has 60:1 brass gears and proceeds along, a little bit noisily, tip toeing on it's 5'6" (22mm) wheelbase. Any space I could find inside is packed with fluid lead, so it pulls for England.

Next up is a fantasy loco. It's said that Swindon only ever produced one 0-4-0, the experimental oil burner 101. The GWR did however inherit a class of six 0-4-0 saddle tanks built by Avonside and numbered 1101 to 1106. The fantasy is that an extra one was needed, Swindon having built an 0-4-0 considered the job to small' so passed it on to Wolverhampton who produced a smaller version of what they knew the best. An outside cylindered 0-4-0 pannier tank.

This beastie came into being after I acquired a brand new China made Smokey Joe chassis. Now either they have been making this chassis long enough to get it right or I struck lucky. It's never going to win an award for slow crawling, but it is controllable and smooth running. I jettisoned the die cast frame as it makes any loco built on top rather too big. I also needed to trim 1mm of the top of the bits of the chassis where the footplate would sit. Then I got to work with plasticard and bits from the scrap box. This is the result.
Thanks to the GWR tradition of producing Identikit locos it looks as though if Wolverhampton (Stafford Road) had built one of these, this is what it would have looked like.
All for now but I've got a couple more that have been going through the shops. I'll get some photos done and introduce you to them.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Edit replaced duplicated photo with correct one.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Lysander

Re: Confessions of an Unrepentant Basher.

Postby Lysander » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:32 pm

Bashing is one of the great joys of the hobby John.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:40 pm

I think I'll enjoy this thread, looking forward to more :)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:46 pm

The locos look reall characterful in a way that only small locos can. I particularly like the one that looks a bit like a 57xx with two wheels missing partly because of the skill it shows and partly because I particularly like 57xxs. It's much nicer than a 14xx. Maybe Farish will make me one just like yours.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:37 pm

"The saddle tank which is the major component of the body was cut from plastic water pipe,"

Oh yes, this is an approach I recognise, and if I had a forelock I'd tug it.
Never repent, never apologise, and please keep bashing.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:45 am

Another use for a bit of water pipe. A freelance 'G' scale Garratt. I have another Garratt in progress, but with two-axle trucks only and shortened tender bodies. One day I will get around to completing both of them. For reference a piece of 'OO/h.o.' track in the foreground.

agarratta.JPG
agarratta.JPG (113.91 KiB) Viewed 6776 times

Tim

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:46 pm

Some lovely locos! Wish I had the skill.

I only personalise buildings -- adding small offices etc. Have got 'The Ipcress File' showing at the Forum Cinema, and things like that.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:07 pm

Glencairn, it doesn't require a fantastic degree of skill. Have a go at something like a tram loco, using card or plasticard, sit it on a wagon chassis for a non powered version, or on an old ringfield motor bogie. Not too many openings to cut, the only curve is the arch of the roof,and there's no complicated colour scheme to finish it.
You'll never know what you can do unless you have a bash, it's where bashing came from. Forget scale accuracy and mechanical excellence, would Joe Soap watching it from a yard away recognise it? He'll never know that it says Kellogs on the underside of the roof.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:05 am

Emettman wrote:
Bufferstop wrote:Glencairn, it doesn't require a fantastic degree of skill. Have a go at something like a tram loco, using card or plasticard, sit it on a wagon chassis for a non powered version, or on an old ringfield motor bogie. Not too many openings to cut, the only curve is the arch of the roof,and there's no complicated colour scheme to finish it.
You'll never know what you can do unless you have a bash, it's where bashing came from. Forget scale accuracy and mechanical excellence, would Joe Soap watching it from a yard away recognise it? He'll never know that it says Kellogs on the underside of the roof.

All this above, absolutely. Glencairn, you've got a chassis? You're going to have to work hard to produce something weirder or uglier than has been done full scale, somewhere.
"Garden shed on wheels" is a generic reference to (usually) i/c locos that have had locally-made bodies constructed for them at some point.

If you get hooked why not make a series of "drop-over" bodies for the same chassis and just ring the changes cheaply?

Challenges! Nothing like a challenge.

As CME of BR Scottish Region - Glencairn to Falkland Division 8) heaven knows what I finish up with :D

Will report back later

Glencairn

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:04 am

Here's a drop on body I did for the Terrier chassis. I made a ****-poor job of the lining so it's all going to come off and I'll try it again. Fortunately it's only printed on self adhesive labels. It's a Hudswell Clarke "long tanker" from the fleet operated by the Manchester Ship Canal company. The Terrier wheels are a bit oversize even if it had new tyres and the chassis is about a scale foot too long. It's unusual for an industrial as it's inside cylindered, but with twenty odd of them in their fleet MSC must have had decent servicing facilities to maintain them

67-1.jpg
67-1.jpg (76.72 KiB) Viewed 6661 times

67-2.jpg
67-2.jpg (83.8 KiB) Viewed 6661 times

There's still plenty of detail to be added but I need to sort out that lining first.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:05 pm

If you get hooked why not make a series of "drop-over" bodies for the same chassis and just ring the changes cheaply?

Challenges! Nothing like a challenge.

As CME of BR Scottish Region - Glencairn to Falkland Division 8) heaven knows what I finish up with :D

Will report back later

Glencairn[/quote]

Had a body of a class 52 western and a 0-6-0 chassis and motor.

Done a cut and shut on the body. Fits on the chassis with a cab at each end ---- and runs!!!

Still a lot of work to be done but getting there.

Haven't a clue how to put a picture on here but will ask son-in-law. He's a wizzard at things like that.

Glencairn

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:44 pm

I often have two goes at modelling a particular type, first one to test the construction method, second time round for good running and appearance. This little Barclay is due for another go on both counts
Barclay.jpg
Barclay.jpg (115.23 KiB) Viewed 6608 times

On the appearance front, the roof is too curved, the porthole windows in the spectacle plate are too small and the cab sidesheets are too flimsy. There's a tight spot when the wheels turn, just enough to slow the motor, so it surges forward with each revolution of the wheels. Running in reverse it's OK. The problem is the amount of end float in the Hornby type 7 motor, before turning the gear the worm pulls the armature towards it's bearing leaving the brushes half off the end of the commutator. I'm going to rebuild the chassis to get lower mechanical resistance and see if I can incorporate some kind of end stop to hold the armature in place. I'll try my best to keep taking the pictures :wink: but first the "workbench" needs sorting, with things put away, so that I don't have to rummage through the debris each time I need a tool.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:05 pm

SAM_0296.JPG
meet TITAN
SAM_0296.JPG (48.57 KiB) Viewed 2302 times

Meet Titan. Basically cut and shut on the ends of a class 52 body. Repainted olive green for work trains/snowplough etc.

Glencairn

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:21 pm

Another picture of Titan with engineers train
Attachments
titan2.JPG
Another picture of TITAN
titan2.JPG (32.67 KiB) Viewed 2299 times

6C

Postby 6C » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:23 pm

Really enjoying this thread - as I have developed a penchant for small industrials - I will try and post some pics of my far less ambitious goes at modding the Hornby Pug ...

Great work everybody... :D
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Return to “The Workbench”