Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
Mountain

Re: Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Postby Mountain » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:31 pm

Very nice. The only suggestion I can make just to make things easier, is that any internal painting is best done before the assembly is finished as it is easier to get at things to paint them before one fits the roof etc.
Does the brake van need a weight?
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:06 pm

I will get back to this brake van, but I've been overtaken by getting not only the clubs new layout
ready for an exhibition in January, but trying to bring some of our old stock up to a sufficiently
modern standard to be worked with Kadees.

Now this one has been worked on without stripping back to the original ....... whatever that may
have been. On the underside of the decking it says - Triang R17/18, but looking at those two gas
cylinders they must be some aftermarket product. All mounted on a white metal chassis where
brass pinpoint bearings have been added, again I'm assuming some kit ? Oh and running on brass
wheels.

The original wide metal tension-lock couplings were riveted on, to remove I ground away with my
Dremel. Now sporting NEM pockets with currently Bachmann short narrow tension-lock couplings.
When all glues fully cured I shall start adding Kadees, oh and do a little paint touch-up to slightly
tidy it's appearance.

Anyone ideas of origin ?????

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:05 pm

That's an intriguing one Geoff. Neither the brake gear nor the axlebox/W irons, look like Triang from the diecast chassis era. Does the finish in those ares look like it has been factory modified, or is it all hand carved? There certainly was a gas cylinder wagon produced way back but I can't remember by whom.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:24 pm

That is really intriguing Geoff. There are a couple of white metal and brass gas tank kits out there but that isn't one that I've ever seen before. If you are going to tidy it up, to the best of my knowledge, the only lettering on the tank sides should be GW and possibly a low number.

If it is modelled on a GW prototype [ and it looks as though it may be], google 'GW Cordon' for a multitude of images. It does seem to be kit-bashed / scratch-built.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:00 am

RTR bashed. Bearings used would not have shoulders to fit I would have thought as triang cast metal chassis do not have any "Give" to allow pinpoint axles to fit into bearings unless one has a way of pushing the bearings through from the outside, so top hat bearings are out of the question.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:34 am

Hi Guys,

A short video of testing it's running qualities, works well with it's new couplings.

https://youtu.be/Ti3zLBbuZvQ

I feel certain the chassis is a kit for exactly the reason Mountain states, there is no give in
that metal chassis so brass bearings must have been built in at the beginning. I did wonder if
the only Triang part is the decking, but the upper decking clips onto the chassis by 4 snap in
joining protrusions.
It's a neatly moulded solebar that represents a wooden frame, and those couplings were riveted
on with a softish insulating layer sandwiched between the chassis and couplings, a bit odd ?

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:44 pm

I'm about to return to where I was in late August.
Namely the Dapol BR Brake Van. I've dedicated almost all my time since then to working on the club's
West Bay layout. That is now returned to the club rooms and although loads to do before it's first
exhibition in January others have a chance to have some input. I do fear however it'll come back my
way to fully sort those Kadees.

Anyway the brake van will now have a TrainTech motion activated tail lamp added. I shall also relocate
the brake hangars due to them hanging too low below the wheel centre line. Somehow one of those brakes
has been knocked off anyway, but I'm certain I have spares on an old scrapper I picked up for a few pence

Geoff T.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi Geoff,

Maybe the gas cylinders are scratch built.

They look similar to the Hornby O gauge tinplate version to me.

Interesting and very different 'when did I last see one' .... I haven't :wink:

JIm.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi Jim,

So rare that I had to save that one, apart from more diagonal rocking than I'd
like it runs well and taken to Kadees. I may touch-up the paint & markings, but
currently I'm looking for more support from the club on the layout and stock.

I WISH I WAS TIDY, or is it that I've been too tidy ? I can't find my very fine twin
flex dolls house wire. I can't get on until I locate it !!
Tonight I cut off a brake from that scrap brake van and now fixed to this new build.
Why are mine vulnerable ? Because I didn't want the brake blocks miles away from
the wheels. The comparison of as kit and re-positioned.

I didn't even remember this was laying around when I started the brake van.

Plugged in the Lo output it's ideal, and the flicker is acceptable.

Without my fine wire I can't solder leads on and make the fixing rather discreet as I did
on the last build of over 3 years ago. Here is that versions wiring, rather better than
having two LED legs going across the verandah and going through the door !!

To Follow.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Sorry I had to rush off and didn't finish that last posting.

My 3 years ago build showing where the wires attached to the LED legs
run down through the floor. Somewhat camouflaged when painted over,
but here in brilliant white !

I did find my doll's house wire and after splitting the two, here they are
alongside a Lenz decoder wire to show how fine they are. I've used quite
a few times on Loco builds as well as brake van rear lamps.

Why would one have ex-decoder wires around ? Because I remove unwanted
leads where we're using motor only facilities.

For domestic reasons a little slow down coming.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:21 am

Much of my time has been focused on getting the clubs West Bay layout up and running.
In fact still an awful lot to do on it, but it's functional and gone back to our club rooms.

So I thought I may get back to that brake van, but as usual I let something else distract
me. I had a telephone call from a fellow who was having to empty his late fathers house
and he'd located some railway stuff in the loft. Did we want it ? Well as it was 1970's - 80's
stuff probably not, but nothing lost by us collecting to save him from taking to the tip.

The one thing that caught my eye was the Lima railcar in blood & custard. The wheels were
brown and filthy from tarnish. They cleaned up well and I fitted a decoder, apart from being
rather noisy it runs O.K. Here it is sitting on St Oval after 20 minutes to bed-down the motor.

I fitted a Hornby X9659, these are the 4 pin plug decoders specifically for their Sentinel and
Peckett. I don't know for certain if all the components are connected, but a visual examination
didn't reveal any chip difference between these and the R8249 decoder, just that only the 4
motor leads are fitted. If you're adding a hard wired decoder for motor only function these are
ideal, no spare wires to get in the way and from big 'H' £12 as opposed to £16.

Geoff T.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:33 pm

It's a neatly moulded solebar that represents a wooden frame, and those couplings were riveted
on with a softish insulating layer sandwiched between the chassis and couplings, a bit odd ?

You mean a bit of cornflake packet shimstock.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:06 pm

Errrrr Yes John, that's right.
I had to go so far back to find exactly what this was about !!
Remember, this is a not very well organized workbench.

Anyway I've been looking for some decals, not any old decal, but a GWR 'Toad' allocation
of Weymouth. My eyes are sore from looking and not found the like of yet.
Trouble is "I WANT" ....... Mother always warned me about saying 'I Want' !!

I'm hoping I can make a decent job from cutting individual letters from the HMRS GWR
decal sheet. All the letters required are in Wolverhampton & Shrewsbury allocations. I
suppose this will be testing my ability. Funny thing finding allocated numbers was easy.
I've noted the options of 114740, 114742, 114906, 114907, which I'll use I don't know.

One minor trouble is I don't have a spare Ratio kit ........ Have to order one of them now.

Geoff T.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:15 am

Dad-1 wrote:One minor trouble is I don't have a spare Ratio kit ........ Have to order one of them now.

Geoff T.

'Darn it'. I gave one away about three months ago.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi Glencairn,

'Tis the thought that counts ......
Anyway I've just ordered another £50 worth of stuff, supposedly in the
clubs name and included the Toad. One was saying why do we need More Kadees.
Why don't we have a Kadee each end of a few wagons. Well we need at every
wagons end as we don't have room to accept rakes, singles moved around !

Geoff T.

Return to “The Workbench”