What are you up to on your workbench
Hymirl

Re: Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Postby Hymirl » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Those Dapol brake van kits have a small damaged tooling fault
that you need to overcome, but for £5 ........... Once you know
how it's quite easily sorted.

May I ask the secret?

I'm planning on attempting some dapol kits to increase the wagon fleet without too much financial damage..

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:26 am

Hi Hymirl,

I'll start the Brake Van next so this can be covered. It's where the running boards attaching tag
is at the wrong angle. First you need to soften the offending part, I do it with a wash of liquid
poly and then tease back into correct shape.

Anyway I have a LNER/BR ply 12 ton van to finish first, I'll add a picture later as I'm off out now.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:07 pm

Started a few days ago and now sitting ready for painting to begin. A
PC06A Parkside BR version of the LNER 12 ton ply van with 8 shoe brakes.
Looking quite good although always a few points to take note of. A nice
touch were the small protrusions to protect the van end strapping from damage.

They do point out the need to remove small moulding pips from the inner buffer
beams, if left these will foul the floor fitting, here cut away, but were like the one
remaining at the end tops.

Although not absolutely necessary it is better to add between 5 & 10 grams additional
weight. Here in the form of a sticky backed car wheel balance weight.

The kit provides a length of plastic rod for the brake cross shaft. It's rather too thick
and to open out would probably split the brake cylinder lever. I replaced with a length of 0.5 mm
brass wire.

Another problem could be the fitting of buffer heads. The buffer housing holes are too small
to accept the buffer shafts, drill out to enlarge for a usable match.
These kits come with mounting blocks suitable for Bachmann narrow tension-lock couplings.
They need to be mounted on some scrap to get correct coupling heights. Here being set to
my standard fitted height.

Painting soon ? Probably leave that until I have a few more to paint.

Next week it'll be that Dapol BR brake van.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:15 pm

You make it look easy!I like kit building in general so I'm keeping at it. After I see how you do the brake van!

- Al

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:38 pm

Right, I said I'd build another, but decided to look at the old pictures from 2015. They were NOT in my workbench ?
Eventually found in the kit building threads, but I never replaced the pictures that were lost when Photobucket went
on their self-destruct mission. So here we have a mixture of old and new.
First what you get in the kit, this is quite comprehensive for such a low outlay. My earlier kit had much less flash
and was moulded in a softer plastic.

On comparing with my Bachmann model and drawings it was noted that the chimney was on the wrong side. This also
meant that the torpedo roof vents had to be re-located.

This was when almost finished, kit issue decals. Note to loose roof, this was because it was made incorporating a
Train-Tech motion activated rear lamp where access to the interior is needed to enable the battery to be replaced.

Now to the 2018 purchased kit. Components were showing much more flash and some parts were broken. A result of
having used a much more brittle plastic. One side foot board had two breaks leaving me 3 parts to join together. The other
side foot board had one of the locating tags snapped off.

NOT a good start, but as an experienced modeller I've worked with more challenging components !!

There is however loads flash of on this 2018 kit that I have to trim away before going any further.

Geoff T.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi Geoff - the moulds must be just about life expired, I had a similar experience with the last water tank kit I built, loads of flash, it just means that the mould faces are worn and ideally need to be replaced. I wonder how much longer Dapol can use these before they become unsustainable, as all that flash equates to wasted raw material. If that point is reached, will they scrap and replace, doubtful.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:06 pm

The old Airfix tools have got into this state in the past. Dapol seem to get the worst couple refurbished every so often.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Hymirl

Postby Hymirl » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:14 pm

You get what you pay for, but I hope these kits stay in production in some form. They are important for the hobby to have options outside of top quality top price RTR.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:42 am

I so agree with Hymirl, it'll be a very sad day when these moulds are given up as time expired.
Dapol must be aware that this kit is somewhat less than perfect and that I suppose is reflected
in the brake van being £1 cheaper than the less complicated 16 ton mineral wagon.

Although it's 3.1/2 years since my last build I don't think they'll have made enough to wear the moulds
any more. On the basis of that I believe it's the assembly of moulds and different viscosity of plastics
used that has resulted in subtle changes between issues of kit. This one has somewhat more brittle
components, without my intervention one cabin end was snapped through above the door, then with
my intervention I snapped off one of the side extension pieces. It was slightly out of line and previous
kits allowed much bending and twisting without ever snapping. Add to that the fractures in the footboards
I now know this is one brittle. Don't expect Dapol to be overly fussy about testing the reclaimed plastics
they use in manufacture, these are far from being critical components !! Just as well, because when you
see the pictures of other components you'll doubt how this one will run !!

I still try to keep to "Bob the Builder" mentality of "Yes we can !"

Still tonight should allow me to proceed .............

Geoff T.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:01 pm

It would be interesting to know if any have been totally replaced whilst they have been in Dapol's possession. There have been some long breaks in the availability of some of the range. I know the story of what was originally the Lowmac + JCB, the tools had been sent off to be refurbished at the time of the Winsford fire, and they lost track of them. It was only when they asked about refurbishing another kit that they found out the tools were sat on a shelf waiting to be returned "and can we have your new address please".
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:25 pm

To get good running you need the chassis to be as near to square as possible.
This includes fettling each individual part where needed. Here we see the two
solebars, not exactly what you need !

As far as I could ascertain 'by eye' the floor and chassis framework was not far out
These parts were joined on glass, under the pressure from a 4 pack of baked bean cans.
Strange the things that get used as tools !!

Right, how to straighten bent solebars and step boarding ? A rather basic tool in the
form of a stainless steel ruler, clips and hot water. Here a solebar - that badly bent one
in the washing-up bowl ready to pour boiling water.

After the heat, in fact before it had got cooler than comfortable for fingers, I took and
placed in the freezer. The result was an almost straight piece of plastic !
I decide that I could be economical in the use of boiling water by using a casserole tray.

Here we have the side step boards.

With as accurate a fit as I could get I joined the cabin sides and verandah ends. They suggest
building in the cabin door ends as this is done, but it's easy to slide in later while I decide if
I try adding windows from sheet material, or use glazing compound

In that last picture those cabin ends are just propped in place.

O.K a few decisions, do I add wire grab rails, or leave the raised detail to be touched in with
some white paint later ? On the last build I just added the four horizontal grab rails at the ends
made from bent dressmaking pins.

Some thinking needed ?

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:04 pm

One last posting for today.
I now have to start searching my loft to see if I can find a couple of 'torpedo' roof
vents ........ There were a few spares, once ?
Late this afternoon I added the solebars and wheels so it now sits on track. I've also added
the brakes, this is one of those 'bodge' jobs due to the kit parts and instructions that would
have the brakes well outside the wheels, probably even too wide for P4. each brake had it's
mounting cut away, even then I have my brakes low of dead centre, but at least they're in
line with wheels.

Note the gap between the brake support and solebar that they would have you glue it to !!
Then sitting on some track, It looks rather open without the foot boards, but will paint before
attaching..

Geoff T.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:28 pm

Dad-1 wrote:These parts were joined on glass, under the pressure from a 4 pack of baked bean cans.
Strange the things that get used as tools !!

Not really Geoff, it's an old trick and still a valid cheap one! TIP 911
Interesting to note, my recent build of the special loads, including two Dapol crane kits, were superb, no flash, crisp tiny detail, I was well impressed. Maybe the crane was in the most recent batch of the refurbies?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi Timbersurf,

I made one of their cranes and as you say it was fine. Only one 'running' difficulty
and that was the rather small flanges on the Dapol metal wheel sets made it de-rail
too easily over points. Because I don't run the crane about I've not changed to Hornby
wheel sets with their deeper flanges.
That's something I've already done on this brake van as my earlier build did have a
diagonal rock with occasional de-railing, solved by the wheel change. Typical, so far
today's build shows no rocking and would probably have been fine without any change.

My hang-up on couplings and wheel flanges is the demand for exceptional running.
That's something we'll probably test at Club tomorrow where we're looking to pull
a record train length - so far it stands at 66 !! Silly game, but we have a good laugh !!

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:06 pm

After a crawl around the loft ...... defeat !!
I've had to order some roof vents from Lanarkshire model supplies
and while I was at it, a few other bits .......
Now a waiting game.

Geoff T.

Return to “The Workbench”