Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
carnehan

Re: Dad-1 Workbench

Postby carnehan » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:36 pm

I bought one of those cranes at Bangor on Saturday. I thought it was a cracking looking kit that would make an unusual freight train, or with a lowmac and JCB digger load and some other wagons a nice little works train.

Paul

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:07 am

Hi carnehan,

Yes it caught my eye as well, something different.
It goes together surprisingly well although I have found that all moving cable drums would jam solid
unless fettled before assembly. It seems the cable drums are slightly too long and moving shaft holes
a little too tight. My only other difficulty has been the bogie jack plates ..... whatever they do ? The
exploded parts diagram is so small you can hardly identify the parts to see what way around they fit.
I've worked out you have to trim a moulding pip away, but to start with it looks like a moulded piece
of the parts !!

I must paint now, probably should have done inside the jib before sticking together .......

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:43 am

I think I made the same mistake as you Geoff as I waited until I'd assembled the jib before painting. It is possible though!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:03 pm

Oh my word, I didn't realise it was as long as that (no sniggering at the back there!). Looks like a nice kit though and will definitely make a striking feature. I'll file it away for now and wait until the next competition thread. :wink:

Paul

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:44 pm

My layout representing a heritage line I had to have at least one of these, and true to form it has to remain in a perpetual state of restoration. I have the lowmac to use as a match truck. It will move although it fouls lineside features on many curves, but certainly looks good sat in the end of one of the sidings. As it's undergoing restoration I can get away with leaving it in grey primer rather than the red which BR painted them. (They came too soon on the scene to be painted yellow all over)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:33 pm

Hi John,

Wise move - while not a bad kit I do wish they gave clearer pictures & detailed instructions.
As usual you need 2 kits, one to build roughly to find out all the wrinkles and then one to do well !!

Should have painted more as I went along, but not looking bad in reasonably raw state.
Tried working outdoors today and had one buffer blow away when I went in for a warmer jumper.
Took ages to find it - upset my liquid poly - dropped the breakfast marmalade - getting a right
old fart !!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:59 pm

All my railway working stopped for a week or more.
1st the garage was such a mess I HAD to do some sorting out, No.2 son dumped my Grandaughters bike, his punctured rear
wheel, and a spare bike for canibalisation. Then the garage door needed painting, plus me making a work bench in said garage.
Then the wife wanted to go off to the caravan by the sea for a few days ............
The crane job stalled, additional disincentive was finding that no such crane worked on British metals. The British ones were on
an 8 wheel rigid chassis of a rather different design, but probably a few were supplied to India !!
Current state :-

I have now more or less finished the two Dapol Lowmac wagons - seen in the kit building sction
as well as replacing the motor in my 45XX.

Geoff T.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Fri May 01, 2015 9:32 pm

The crane looks good. When I built mine I did consider using a Gresley tender chassis (I believe this is what the originals were built on) but I decided against it. The kits are cheap so I might try it again at some point in the future.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat May 02, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi skyblue,

It's all your fault ....... starting me on wagon kits !!
The crane will have to wait a while, but I've decided as it's an imaginary subject I'll add a little imaginary addition
of my own. When making the Iron Mink I forgot to add any additional weight inside the box as I built it & although
I've added 15 grams in the chassis it's going to be very light. It will become the crane operating 'tool' wagon with
one end "To be coupled to crane" painted red, while the other end will be yellow & black wasp stripes. The sides I
suppose will be olive green ? An online search for post war GWR permanent way stock due to check colours.

Anyway, not being added to the April challenge thread as it's now well into May are the final 3 pictures of my Dapol
lowmac delivering 2 new tractors with crate of attachments. I don't care what others think, but I like the way I've
tied down through drilled out anchor rings.

Need to finish a few more jobs before starting anything else !!

Geoff T.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Sat May 02, 2015 12:30 pm

I too really like the way you've added the ties holding the tractors down. The threads don't look too slack as I find can so often be the case when using those sorts of materials in a small scale. I imagine your aircraft modelling experience (aircraft rigging) helps with this?

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Hi skyblue,

Superglue, firmly anchor one end, then tension and hold while the other end is superglued.
There is a health & safety warning - putting the cap on, glue cap held in your teeth while
trying to replace using the hand with said tube of glue. All too easy to get glue on ones lips !!

Anyway, not been doing much, but tonight weathered two more Blue Circle vans. Here are all 4
being shunted on Two Short Planks. I always enjoy trying to get half decent photographs with the
low light levels in my loft.

Quiet period for me modelling wise.

Geoff T.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Wed May 06, 2015 11:08 pm

Good stuff there Geoff.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu May 07, 2015 8:13 am

I think it's a quiet period for most of us, modelling wise. What you have done, though, looks great. I particularly like the ties on the lowmac - those tractors aren't going to fall off in a hurry. :lol:

Paul

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Thu May 07, 2015 10:54 am

Dad-1 wrote:Superglue, firmly anchor one end, then tension and hold while the other end is superglued.
There is a health & safety warning - putting the cap on, glue cap held in your teeth while
trying to replace using the hand with said tube of glue. All too easy to get glue on ones lips !!

Geoff T.

I can sympathise there, I managed to get glue both on my lips during the February competition and as i panicked, managed to glue my teeth as well. Definitely not something I'm ever likely to attempt again lol

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:07 am

Someone at school managed to glue their hand to the superglue remover bottle and superglued the lid to it on... We were very sympathetic... :P
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

Return to “The Workbench”