Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
Dad-1

Re: Dad-1 Workbench - Wagon video 25 Dec

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi skyblue,

Not 100% certain, if I do it grey it'll be from an aircraft colour. Thing is by
the beginning of WWII most of these were on non-revenue earning jobs.
If I could find a colour picture of one in engineers colouring for late GW,
early BR I would probably try that. (I've not tried to look on-line yet).
The chassis looks good enough to have as working stock.

Hi Nickbrad,

Your main problem with kits is getting square chassis & if using in a train
sorting out couplings. They do though make great siding fillers & certainly
improve ones modelling skills.

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:28 pm

I shall take my time ensuring it's square, it's to stand in with my two triang wagons to recreate, (roughly,) the last train to Upwell. A siding filler isn't an option so I expect to take 4 or 5 times longer than you to build a rolling wagon :wink:

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:42 am

Hi nickbrad,

That was a coded warning - Yours is an old Airfix kit, it may fit where parts can touch, however it may
be IF they touch !! Getting square may not be that easy.

My build, looked good at 1 hour 35 minutes. Brown stuff hit the fan today. I threw away the wheel sets
included with the kit, didn't even put in a 'spares' box. I went and obtained my wheels tin from the loft
(at 44 degrees F) picked out a spoked set - OH MY the axle boxes are spaced out very wide.
I now have a problem, either try & find some axle steel to make my own long axles to fit the existing
axleboxes, or use small scraps of plastic to modify and bodge something that will hold the now standard
axle length. p.s. photo with Dapol 3 hole set.

I suppose I could scour all the waste bins, Lounge, Hobby Room, Kitchen to try & find the original all one
piece moulded plastic wheel sets. I suppose it depends IF I want to run in a train, the plastic would do for
a siding queen - just there to make a scene ?
Perhaps saw two axles from my steel wheel stocks and extend by joining with a tubular muff ?
Time to think this one through !!!!!!!!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:50 pm

Funny,
It took longer to find out that standard wheel sets don't fit, and then dig through
waste bins to locate the kits original discarded plastic wheel sets than make the
wagon !!

Still, now located & fitted in. They have a B2B of about 14.00 mm rather than the
now accepted 14.50 mm with more side play in the axle boxes than I like, but that's
easily enough sorted out.

I am surprised at how small the 'Mink' is in comparison with a 12 ton Dapol banana
wagon. I have to decide, do I add couplings to make useable, or perhaps hanging a
3 link coupling and just sit in sidings. On that question falls the paint scheme.

Geoff T.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:10 pm

Hi Geoff,

I have hit upon wheel issues already, I managed to secure 10 Bachmann wheelsets cheaply through ebay quite a while back with a view to rewheeling a load of my older stock with current plastic wheels. Inevitably, they didn't fit! I still have to solve the conundrum of whether to attempt drilling out the axleboxes slightly to accept the Bachmann axles without damaging the opposite side detail or to try and file down the oversized ends, (not an easy job by hand).

Therefore, any kits will be checked with the metal wheelsets during assembly :D

Nick

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi Geoff,

An alternative use for the mink if all else fails!
But I'm sure it won't get to this.

Jim.
Attachments
5755308804_8c7d1c4d6a_z.jpg
5755308804_8c7d1c4d6a_z.jpg (326.66 KiB) Viewed 1898 times

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:08 pm

I wonder what the gear sticking out of the top was used for......

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:41 pm

At the risk of hijacking Geoffs blog, I would say it is something behind the grounded body.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:58 pm

Wot - Nowt since February !!
Blame Alex's Feb competition, plus Thomas. plus St Oval ..........

What I have uncovered are my collection of China Clay wagons. I added a load back in 2012 ?
and at last adding tarps, part 1, new !!

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:42 pm

It was lunch time I had to rush off, I prefer to eat lunch rather than wear it !!

Yes, New tarps that need ropes adding & then quite severe white weathering. This one
is dark green, probably do another the same & then 1 each of slightly different greens
to represent different age tarps.
Most of my empties have brownish tarps laying in the wagons, need to check all out as
I think one or two have been lost over the years - just like the real thing !!

Geoff T.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:53 pm

Geoff, re the problem wheels sets. Try Hornby/Bachmann standard axles with brass axle bearing cups, just don't sink the cups very far in. I've had the same problem with Ratio bogie kits,
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:25 pm

Hi John,

I'll be ordering some 2 mm silver steel rod and making my own, slicing to length won't be a problem although without workshop
facilities grinding accurate needle points to each end may be a challenge !

Anyway following adding tarps to 4 china clay wagons that have been waiting since 2010 I've decided to finish a few other very
old part built buildings. Tonight I've added glazing, curtains and currently await the roof sticking having been soaked with liquid
polly around all the walls. Not surprisingly I can't find the original door cut-outs. A little search reveals I started this at the beginning
of December 2010 !!
If I don't get going now I could be gone before it's finished. I say that having 'lost' 3 friends since November ..... I might see 2030,
but then again Christmas is a long way off !!

Geoff T.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:01 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Hi John,

I'll be ordering some 2 mm silver steel rod and making my own, slicing to length won't be a problem although without workshop
facilities grinding accurate needle points to each end may be a challenge !

A power drill, a vice (or even a bench stand) a good selection of files and maybe a slipstone, should be a doddle for a man of your accomplishments. I'd get a right ear bashing from my old Pop if he saw some of my techniques, like removing the surplus plastic from ringfield wheel inserts with a drill and a Stanley knife!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:27 pm

2 mm silver steel rod on order from Eileens .....

In the meantime, after getting frozon, well chilled through in the garage I came in and made up
an OLD Ratio GWR 12 ton van kit. All straight forward with the exception of coming with the original
one piece moulded wheel & axle sets. These are the ones with longer than modern standard axles. I
would have replaced with metal wheels from my large stocks, but couldn't be bothered to convert. One
thing I don't have are brass axle box bearings and anyway this may become a siding queen so why bother.
What I did do was cyno glue a stone inside so it's heavy enough.

Now need to start painting ......... and decide if I fix up with Bachmann small tension lock couplings.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Re: Dad-1 Workbench

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:43 am

Currently I have little time to get on-line, living 2/3 of our time at the caravan where I have no internet connection, the
remaining 1/3 doing jobs at home that have to be done, like mowing grass & taking the wife food shopping !!

What I have done is start my Dapol diesel crane. I started with the bogies because so many kits were designed in the days
of plastic wheel sets with what is now a non-standard axle length I need to know early on what modifications will be needed
to actually use on a modern model railway.
Well, to my delight the crane bogies accept Dapol standard wheel sets as supplied without any need to modify, unlike the Lowmac
kits. I shall have this at the caravan and it may progress quite quickly.

Hattons mucked up my order for tractors that are to be fixed on one Lowmac. The order was placed on 8th April & I
thought there was a chance of getting by 11th. I had both a phone call & email on 13th saying they were unable to supply
one item as their stock records were wrong. No big problem as I was having 2 of the Massey Ferguson tractors, but in
two colours to represent a delivery of new tractors, but having just one colour is not problem to me. As at 15th I still
don't have, but expect either today or tomorrow. Not exactly Hattons at their usual standards !

Geoff T.

Return to “The Workbench”