Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
Dad-1

Re: Dad-1 Workbench

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:54 am

Days flashing past & with so many little jobs on the go I don't have anything suitable to
show.
Last evening I was adding glazing to "Lord Nelson" pub windows.

Doing a little more on the Parkside Dundas Plate wagon, during wich time I put a wheel set as supplied to the saw.
Why ? Well they say kits come with metal wheels however what comes looks like plastic. Using a saw cut through
whatever they have their wheels coated in and beneath is .... Metal. I still don't like the painted/plastic finish and
when my Dapol wheel sets arrived yesterday I was able to add solebars & wheels. Brakes in today ?

Both the above sitting on my 'Thomas' platform that has added micro strip around the front edge to give correct looking
thickness to platform edge overhangs.

In the background the 'Thomas' road bridge that still needs some brick strip adding.

All of the above sitting on the folded 'Thomas' layout where I've been having some derailing problems on Hornby 1st radius
curves. By careful filing of gauge at track joints I've reduce to a minimum, still work to do. Funny that Hornby 1st radius
track has a tighter gauge than Peco flexitrack & although put together carefully all joints are overly tight.

So my 'workshop' is full of jobs in progress - never a reason to have a dull moment. One frustrating job is trying to find
more of my sewing thread reels to act as concrete pipes in the Bachmann Pipe wagon that arrived with other bits yesterday.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:21 am

I need some help
Anyone on here ever use Bow-Pens ?

I bought this small attachment for £1 on the local market.
Now to me it looks like a bow-pen tip, it's going to need cleaning up
and fettling. Will it work ??
So it's a rough little tool, and perhaps may not be the thing to try & learn
with. Perhaps it could put me off because it's a rough tool & simply may not
work, but hey, nothing lost for a quid.

Any advice on bow-pen use ?????

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Re: Dad-1 Workbench Page 4 Bow-pen help needed

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:17 pm

In the days when I worked above the drawing office I would "accidentally" leave off a label from one of my sketches, the tracer given the job of applying it to the the master record (on linen, in ink) would then have to phone me and I'd go downstairs to supply the missing information. For those brought up on CAD I should point out that tracers were always female and usually young. They used bow pens like that one. The tips need to be kept clean of dried ink, and they should glide smoothly over the surface, even when dry. I've tried to use one myself,without much success, should have paid more attention to the pen, it's all to do with surface tension, the amount of ink or paint loaded and its viscosity. Rotring fine liners came to my rescue, basically fountain pens with a fine tube instead of a nib.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:11 pm

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... jPtijF5slA

The link provides useful information on honing and using bow-pens. It's from RMWeb and quite readable / informative apart from the inevitable and utterly pointless spat towards the end. God's Teeth - why does it always seem to happen ?

Anyway, it is a useful reference piece.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:11 pm

I thank you for that gentlemen ...... must check out that Rm thread.

I've been rather busy, what with trying to get on with the Thomas layout and making wagons.
At least Railwayjim accepted full responsibility for the following ........
Since buying my first wagon kit at Warley on 22nd November I have up to today, 17th December made
up the following - still needing painting & decals, but have turned out better than I thought possible.

I had been concerned about devising my own coupling anchors to take NEM pockets, but it's worked out fine
and they pull well anywhere in a train, pushing a train ? judgement reserved, perhaps more weight needed to
reverse well through a line of points.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:38 pm

These wagons have worked out so well I've placed an order
for 3 x Ratio GWR 4 wheel coaches. I expect to recieve early
January, but think more of a February project.

Never a dull moment in my work rooms - been so busy I've not
had much chance to run trains in the loft !!

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:46 am

Somewhere in this thread I said I'd put a video of my kit built wagons running in a train.
Yesterday I spent a little time fettling coupling heights and can now run my 5 kit wagons
anywhere in a train without couplings failing, or derailing, either pulled, or pushed through
the turnout ladder across Two Short Planks.
Here we have my Bachmann Collett Goods pulling out from North Quay station into the tunnel.
In the train a loaded pipe wagon is RTR, the recent release by Bachmann & the brake is RTR.

http://youtu.be/Mct4Cx6YRRo

As important as getting non commercially available stock I thoroughly enjoyed making these.
Bachmann have now released their pipe wagon, as in the train & have coming out during the
first half of 2015 the long tube wagons. No sign of plate, trestle, or double bolsters following.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Re: Dad-1 Workbench - Wagon video 25 Dec

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:57 pm

Lysander kindly pointed me to an RMweb page discussing Lining Pens.
Well it was useful & being a RMweb member, I've asked a few questions
and had a go with gloss black & cream.
I'm still not happy with my tip set, but it's coming along and doing painted
lines of about 0.3 mm has me feeling I could crack this !!

Geoff T

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:57 pm

HELP ..... Help ..... help

Most of the 'builders' of NRM have a Workbench so I hope someone who frequents this space can help me.
I have bought 3 x Ratio GWR 4 wheel coaches, They come with wheels (one up on locomotive kits) However
no decals. A nice little history advises of differing colours through the years. BUT WHERE CAN I GET SUITABLE
DECALS ??? A feather in Parkside Dundas's cap as at least they tell you where to get suitable decals for their kits.

I find Fox's listings so baffling I give up looking, in fact this one area of finishing tends to put me off making
kits.

Geoff T.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm sure you know what my answer will be, but you've already said no to that. :P
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi FS123,

I'm still looking for my self print decal paper, I need it to do the pubs painted gable wall
signs. For these coaches I want top notch stuff, even the lining !!
Trying to work out a painting sequence, will probably start with Halfords white undercoat,
the add other colours as I go forward. In fact I still don't know if I'll do Maroon, or Chocotate
& Cream.

Geoff T.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:20 pm

Hi Geoff,

I used Mr Decal Paper products available through Amazon. I have found them to be as good as any decal supplied with a model kit. I have used white and clear decal sheets from him/her. The clear decals were used for the vans signage below. Clear instructions for use with an inkjet printer are included with each pack.

image.jpg
image.jpg (46.61 KiB) Viewed 2219 times

I hope that is some help to you.

The work on your thread is incredible. Am enjoying the regular updates.

Paul

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Hi Carneham,

Thanks for the comment. I have printed my own decals before, but where I had good pictures of the required motifs.
I simply wouldn't be able to produce the shadowed letters & GWR motifs now. I lost nearly all my art programmes
when my Win98SE computer died. Then I lost the ability to print in quality when my old quality printer died.
I can get a sheet of HMRS press-fix decals, although Peters Spares wanted £4 to post a single £6 decal sheet !!

Anyway today I made another rod for my own back !! WHY do I do it ???
I started the Ratio 4 wheel GWR composite coach, easy, nice kit.

NOT good enough, just an empty space inside ....... Thought I'd add the three required partitions
complete with rudimentary seating, & probably a few figures before the roof goes on.

Now I need to do impossible research - What colour interiors, were 3rd wooden slat seats in these during the 1930s to 50s
How many 1st were accommodated across the coach ?
WHY do I do it !! who the hell is going to look inside ??

Geoff T.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Sounds like a good excuse to visit Didcot Railway centre Geoff :wink:. I don't know whether it'll be of any use to you, but this might be useful, free download, easy to resize for particular coaches, you can probably recolour them in a basic MS program like Paint or an Office program. You don't necessarily need a posh art program to do your own decals, I've gotten by OK with the latest version of MS publisher, Powerpoint and Paint.

I know it's not perfect, but this took me about 5 minutes, a bit longer could have seen some more tweaks etc. It's so small it doesn't have to be perfect anyway:

GWRFSTG

Geoff T FS123's picture was blocked by PB, I preferred to remove to eliminate PB's warning - I can't replace as not my photograph.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:41 am

A New Years Resolution .........
To catch up on the hundreds of jobs in abeyance rather than spend time one line.
As a result I may, just may, be spending less time here.

Thanks FS123,
I spent much of yesterday in the loft and found HMRS pressfix decal sheet for Coach & Loco insignia,
another for wagon numbers, and some Fox sheets (remnants of) I used for re-numbering oil tanks.

The above discovery, plus loads of other bits & pieces I didn't remember that I had, is the reason for
my overdue clear up. Several boxes of stuff have not been looked at since we moved into Dorset in
December 2013. I can see a few trips to the local tip coming, like loads of telephone cable, we all use
wireless adaptors & non-tethered telephones in this day & age !!

I'd love to spray my 4 wheel coach sides white primer before going further, but with cold damp weather
it wouldn't work outdoors, and there is no way I could get away with spraying in the kitchen. So progress
will be delayed.

Geoff T.

Return to “The Workbench”