Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:28 pm

Decided to do a Kit Wagons Only video.
All self explanatory in the video voice over and accompanying text
on jolly old Youtube.

https://youtu.be/ser_ivryxWY

I did have to make a few adjustments where the plastic had 'crept' making
some wheel bearings tight and a few brakes rubbing on wheels. The only
casualty was one brake falling off, now re-attached. I also took the chance
to oil the bearings with superfine model oil.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Re: Dad-1 Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:42 pm

Club Night Over AND ..........

The early Bachmann Collett Goods struggled to pull this load around the hammerhead turns, but
it did with limited wheel slip.
The only piece of rolling stock that caused a problem was the Dapol Brake Van and it wasn't the
wagons fault. I had a regular derailment every 2 or 3 laps at the same location. On close examination
there is a track fault at the joint between 2 pieces of set-track. The result is a slight lump that in
combination with Dapol wheels with the small flanges was lifting the flange above the rail head. I know
this Brake Van has a slight chassis twist and the combination just pushes beyond the limit.

Had I fitted this with a Hornby wheel set, the slightly deeper flanges would I'm certain have kept it in
check all night without coming off. Not a problem as my track hasn't revealed a similar fault on any of my
layouts.

I add the information to encourage others to knock out a few kits and seriously considder that change of
wheels.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:41 am

Decoders - As variable as the weather ?
Old buddy Bufferstop has been buying up little Greg locomotives to butcher into whatever
his fertile imagination can dream up. As his creations run DC only and all Gregs to my
knowledge were DCC fitted, so he just pulled the decoders out and throws in the electronics
spares box, or probably any other spares box on the table at the right time. He kindly sent
me 2 not knowing if they worked or not. Well so far I've worked out what wires should go
where and the first one is now fitted and working in my "James".

Gawd aren't they big though !! Here we have in comparison with a Hornby R8249 and a Lenz
silver mini. There are some locomotives where even getting a Hornby decoder in is difficult,
but it's amazing that Greg a small 0-4-0 has room for this massive decoder and the still joined
interference suppressor.

I have the Lenz to try and fit in the Bachmann "Douglas", not even enough room there for a Hornby
decoder. If I can find my Greg photo from several years back I'll add to the posting. That little Greg
we used on the Silverfox DCC clubs "Thomas" layout eventually died in a puff of blue smoke !!

Never a dull moment in Model Railway Land !!

Geoff t.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:26 am

Reversing the first law of micro-electronics you get "for small numbers, the bigger they are the cheaper to make".
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Nothing to show, but Lenz Mini decoder now in "Douglas" and working fine,
addressed as 10 his tender number.
Bill that was on no.5 re-addressed to 4 which is really Gordon's number, but as
Gordon won't go around the 1st radius curves and clear platforms it's becomes
a spare number because I'll never get him.
Then correctly re-address James to No.5 his tender number.

Now simply awaiting to see what Hornby have done with 2 Selects that have been
playing up. If they come back functioning it'll have me back to 4 x Selects and I will
then add decoders to Percy & Edward. Always lots of silly little jobs to do.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:37 am

I'm trying to catch up on jobs that have been in abeyance for a long time.
I still can't find the doors to several buildings and yet have doors that I
can't find buildings that they fit !!

I'm just returning to the 'Old Forge' that sits on a tight bend just over St.Oval
level crossing. I still have to make window frames for the rear elevation, can't
find doors to fit and will need to cut fresh ones from plasticard, or open the
frames slightly and fit Wills/Ratio versions.
The 'Old Forge' had the front wall demolished by a APC driven by a tipsy G.I.
back in '43. He went over the crossing and into the bend too fast. The huge
chimney held firm and it's now a small rather ramshackle cottage.

My semi's have now had the 20 window frames stuck in. There were 6 different
sizes and glazing designs. I'd forgotten what was for where and although 1.0 mm
may not sound much it was essential that the right frames were used for each
location. I had also lost 1 door ? but that has been covered by re-claiming one
that I couldn't identify.

I MUST get on top of so many jobs laying around. I can't (yet) find the ladies &
Gents doors for St Oval station. I can't fix the buildings until the doors are on,
and that needs to be done before I can add the last plaster layer that fits around
the buildings base.

Workbench back to buildings ........... To the degree that tonight I shall purchase
10 x Bachmann RTR wagons of LMS heritage because I don't have the time to make
kits up. We have a member who somehow managed to buy up some bankrupt stocks
and he's moving on at acceptable prices.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Re: Dad-1 Workbench - Hot weather tweak

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:30 pm

Last evening on the clubs large test track I had my Hornby 38XX hauling a 33 wagon train.
An audible squeak began so it was pulled off for a check over. The centre set of tender wheels
were tight and not turning well. These have no axle end bearings, but rely on a tunnel through
the base. That had enough slack, but when pulled along those wheels didn't turn. The only possible
cause was brakes rubbing. I must assume the clearance is very tight and with this hot weather the
plastics had expanded enough to cause contact.
Today I have oiled the tunnel, but those brakes that hang to the rear of the wheels were still in
occasional contact when running forward where the movement caused the axle to sit at it's rear most
location within the bearing. Run in reverse there was no problem because that eased the axle to it's
foremost limit and cleared the brake blocks.
It has been solved by running some fine wet-n-dry paper between the tyre and brake block moulding,
gradually sanding off some brake block plastic..

The other running problem an occasional de-railing of a Parkside Dundas LWB van was quickly identified
as a less that perfect track join at a board interface. One rail was sitting high, enough to cause finer
than RTR flanges (Alan Gibson Wheels) to get lifted above the rail head. Was this through the current
higher temperatures ? I don't know, but the loop could be used where the track was better laid and it
allowed constant reliable running.

A learning curve almost every club night !! The 33 wagon train continued behind my Bachmann 56XX a
real 'star' locomotive if ever there was one. Being on our DCC John was running a 35 wagon train behind
his Hornby Railroad 9F at the same time as mine, his short 16 ton minerals had no problems on the track
joint fault - the better the stock often requiring the better laid track - anyone for P4 ??

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:46 pm

Caught by a lack of planning !!
I'm a long way from starting, but I want to make a small shunting puzzle, so easy it's hardly
a puzzle, but I was invited to run one at the recent Exeter exhibition. Rather than go the
DCC route as everything else I do is, I fancied analogue.
This also fitted in with the rapidly increasing cost of locos and stock where I thought I could make
and stock with a loco and 5 vans for under £150 ........ not that cheap, but with all new products.
I bought a Hornby S&DJR Railroad Jinty for £21, then 5 unpainted Dapol fruit vans at £6 each, so
for £51 I had the stock BUT I'd not checked the Dapol vans for accuracy or information.
Blow - these were the Cattle Wagon conversions to Fruit 'Mex' and trying to find number sequences
has proved difficult. I'll probably do in GWR grey and I have no reliable information of what the number
block was. Dapol have used 38198; 38228; 38231; 38274 IF Dapol have not just guessed, and that wouldn't
surprise me, I can pick another between the highest and lowest.
Not the most accurate wagon either - But this is for shunting no looking at, could even be used unpainted.

What I'll need to buy in due course will be a couple of short Peco electrofrog points, I have track but currently
no time so had I planned I'd still not have bought anything !! Or wasted ages searching on-line for info !!

Geoff T.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:51 pm

No-one is ever going to see grass growing under those feet of your's Geoff !

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:44 pm

Thanks Lysander,

My mind is always several steps in advance of reality - no wonder I fall over sometimes !!
As I have this time, yet there is a certain satisfaction of finding a way out of your own hole.

These Dapol Fruit vans are the converted GWR cattle wagons and I had intended to be painted
in bauxite, in fact they were painted, but then hunting around for numbers I hit a snag. The few ?
that carried forward into BR era were in a number sequence B8333XX, that meant that 5 wagons
would need me to find 30 number 3 decals, simply not practical. That had me looking at the numbers
GWR used, from the limited information I could find these should mostly be in the 382XX series.
O.K. No real problem, just a re-paint into GWR grey as seen below.

I still need to gloss varnish before I start decalling, finding sufficient decals shouldn't be a problem
as I've just found my second HMRS GWR wagon sheet. The largest number of any digit required is
6 x 3 followed by 5 x 8. Another escape job partially completed !!

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:26 pm

Still running out of Decals !
However here we have as of today, 5 dark grey from unpainted items with the one
light grey being a Dapol RTR

Is it any wonder my eyes hurt ? Trying to make a tare weight figure 7 from the top of a 5
and a number 1.
Must be mad.

Geoff T.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:36 pm

Tell me about it !

That's a really nice rake though Geoff.

Tony

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:52 am

Hi Lysander,

Wish they were as good as some of your coach conversions !!

The one thing you get when either making kits, or even these unpainted examples are
individual wagon numbers. Each one of us has little things we like, or dislike. I know a
few average modellers who just hate Ghost trains, no crews aboard. They will put up
with iffy couplings where their trains fall apart, no brake vans, but would never have
a crewless train running.
I really dislike magazine articles where there are rakes of wagons all having the same
number. I know it's not always practical to re-number everything where you have long
trains of RTR 16 ton minerals - I have that, but try to mix several different numbers
in so no consecutive wagon in a train has the same number as those adjoining.
Next job on these is weathering the underframe & wheels, plus some slight weathering
on the van bodies and matting down.
Next job ? A Dapol Water Tank for Castell Mawr that should be located behind the engine
shed.

Geoff T.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:20 am

Agree the numbering issue absolutely - the only practical solution [if you want to stay sane] is to ensure that adjacent wagons are different. I do try to install crew in my locos but I also really dislike exactly the same drivers and firemen in every engine. The lack of readily available crew in different poses is a problem. White metal / pewter ones are expensive and often quite unrealistic: I've seen some that look like Hobbits. Why Bachmann or Dapol do not issue a set of say half a dozen different examples of each, ready for painting, escapes me.

Tony

Return to “The Workbench”