Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
railwayjim

Re: Dad-1 Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Postby railwayjim » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:11 pm

Your brown looks bang on to me Geoff, there are so many shades through sun fading
different paint shops etc. plus very few colour pictures taken, giving very little to match to.

Which transfers are you using for the horse box?

Parkside do very nice transfers for their horse boxes £1.80. The kit is excellent also, I have the BR version,
but they do a GWR version. It's quite expensive, but makes into an excellent horse box.

Thinking about it, you have probably built one, there's not many of their wagons you haven't built!!!

This is the BR version.

Parkside British Railways Horse Box 004.JPG
Parkside British Railways Horse Box 004.JPG (81.12 KiB) Viewed 1662 times

Jim.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Hi Jim,

I will be getting the P.D Horsebox, but just butchering the Lima at present.
The GW horsebox didn't have much in the way of markings and I should be able
to scratch together from the GW Wagon sheet No.11 from HMRS. I've used so
much of that sheet I'll probably have to buy another soon, at under £6 it offers
a huge range of white/gold/red markings ..... I have the idea to do a couple
of the white Mica vans, another P.D kit I've not made one of .... yet !
Not certain if that's because I have red decals, or fancy a couple of white vans
in the GWR rake ? White ? they'll need a fair amount of dirtying up.

That's a mighty fine version you've made there, I did at one time contemplate
getting a Hornby one just to see how good it is, but as wagons get more expensive
I have to become more selective. Things like my Hornby BR/LNER extra long CCT
hardly ever hits the rails.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:03 pm

I know I'm getting old, eyes not so clear and hands not so steady, but
for anyone who's not used HMRS press-fix decals this is the problem with very small
small markings. The tissue that surrounds the trimmed off decals obscures the subject
enough to make lining up awkward. This tissue has to be wet to set into place, with the
tissue needing removing after say 20 seconds.

I wouldn't knock as I've found them very good, although this time I tried a short cut
that I would never have done with water-slide decal and it had bitten me slightly.

I did not gloss varnish before application, this reduces the decal tacky surface 'hold' as you place
and leaves them more likely to wander. I may pick the dot off and replace in a more central location !!
It has also left a shadow of adhesive that may, or may not vanish when a final varnish seal is applied.

My second Beetle & the Horsebox have been glossed and I can't try to apply decals now, I will probably
have to wait until Tuesday.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi Geoff,
Just thinking of your problem seeing the decal through the carrier paper.
This is something I've had problems with also. Now, this may work but don't hold me to it!
If a dab of turps is applied to the transfer paper,turps, not being water based could this allow
you to see it's correct position before then wetting to release the carrier?
Worth a try on a scrap piece of plastic I suppose.
Jim.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:48 pm

Hi Jim,

Sorry to be slow in answering ......
I would never have thought of trying that. I still wonder if the turps would prevent
water from releasing the decal from the tissue covering. I have enough 'spare'
HMRS decals here (NOT the GWR sheet !!) to try, nothing to loose but a decal I would
never use.
I do find waterslide markings easier to manage, although cutting up small numbers to
achieve the required set is delicate work to be done under a large well lit magnifier.

This wagon building is going to slow as I try to do more layout work. I already have many
that still require weathering. I may one day put them all out on my big layout to get a
better idea of how much I've done in the last 18 months. It was skyblue that lead me
into wagon kit making and away from buildings that I still enjoy photographing and
working out how to include quirky aspects into future models.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:25 pm

Over 2 months since I visited my Workbench as I've been busy on my layout building.
The time has flashed by and I'm still in layout mode, but the odd reprise brings me
back to this thread.
With two exhibitions on consecutive weekends with our Thomas layout it kind of
reminded me that I have a 'Douglas' here that I simply can't use. The reason is my
use of 1st radius curves on the inner tracks with the outer track still tighter than
2nd radius.
I'd already decide there were 3 options, one involved stripping wheels off axles to
grind the inner hubs, another to strip axles sets out, but countersink the chassis
sides to allow more lateral movement for those hubs. The final and I decided easier
solution was to remove the flanges from the middle wheel set thereby allowing those
wheels to freely ride over the rail crown.
Today with two nice sharp new 2nd cut files I filed by hand, rotating the wheels slightly
as I worked around the circumfrance. I did have some concern of filings getting into
the can motor, but thought I'd work that way to keep the whole thing assembled.

A track test proves the idea has been a 100% success. It will run around 1st radius
without any problems as well as having had an extended run on a friends less critical
radius track.

My other 'on the bench' project is to finish a small terrace of 3 cottages seen in the
background. These were started for my St Oval layout, perhaps back as far back as 2011.
The bright colours are from Tobermory - Sometimes you just have to do it !!

The picture will have to come later - Photobucket is playing up again, going to 90%
then time out, probably due to too many stupid adverts. I'll add later. Twice it went to 90%,
I closed down then when going back BOTH failed attempts were there loaded in !!!!!

Geoff T.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue May 10, 2016 5:54 pm

For filing by hand those centre wheels look pretty good. The problem you experience with Photobucket is a result of excessively slow file transfer. If fibre is available in your area it's worth upgrading.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:08 pm

I'm not so sure - I'm on super duper broadband and I still have exactly the same 90% problem as Geoff, it's really annoying.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon May 16, 2016 4:45 pm

Back to the cottages ......
Fitting curtains to 18 windows can be time consuming !!
I also need to find all the doors from the Wills Craftsman kit build
left from the same period in early 2011.

I always keep my buildings loose, not attached to any layout so
I gradually build up a collection to allow them to be used on any
future layouts.

Geoff T.

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Mon May 16, 2016 5:13 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:I'm not so sure - I'm on super duper broadband and I still have exactly the same 90% problem as Geoff, it's really annoying.
I get an average download speed of 160 Mbps, shortly to be increased to around 200, but the problem is the upload speed of the site that you are downloading from.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:34 pm

Some might remember me making the Dapol Interfrigo wagon.
I've been looking to try and find when I did it and gave up. I may add the page number later
should I uncover it. Page No. http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 30#p594137
At £4.39 it was so cheap that it was rather like an evening at the Gym, whatever happened
it was good exercise, modelling takes as much training as sport if you want to improve. Listed
as H0/00 just to confuse us all, it is in fact H0 and never ran in this form on BR metals, not
even as a ferry van.
When made the buffers and couplings were too low to run with my other stock and it's been
sitting as a sidings queen on St Oval my garage layout. Today I decided to do something with
it. The kit comes with standard wagon wheels, but my research proved conclusively that these
had larger wheels, more in line with our non-passenger coaching stock.
I had some spare coach wheels and to fit I needed to break off all the brake gear and then enlarge
the holes into the box to get clearance for the larger wheels. This raised the wagon to a height
where it runs well with other stock as well as looking more like the continental original. Brakes ?
who knows I may turn something up in the spares box, but I doubt many would notice !!

My conclusion is should you want something different for an imaginary southern port yard this
wagon fitted with coach wheels may be worth looking at, particularly if still at under a fiver.

No wonder I couldn't find it as it was part of my 'August Challenge' and not in the Workshop thread.

Geoff T.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon May 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Looking good there now, so glad you took a look at it and realised the simple fix to make it usable.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:49 pm

All layout work at present, except .........
A friend is about to start a Dapol Lowmac kit and I can't find postings about it in my workbench thread. This
probably means I built my 3 before we had a workbench thread.

I dug mine out from their loft bound box to photograph how I fix in the Bachmann slim-line NEM pockets and
couplings. Once downstairs I thought I'd put on the small garage oval just to check mine do run O.K most of the
time (Never Always).

First the NEM pocket attachment location.

Then we have the video

https://youtu.be/GLpPBcnUHUU

Here running with my re-wheeled Dapol Interfrigo wagon and 3 Hornby blue spot fish vans, which at £8.50 each
from you know who, were too good to miss !

If anybody wants more information than in the video description and voice over don't be afraid to PM me
My aim with the workbench is to share skills.

Oh I've found it, here is my original build in the kit's section
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=47667

Geoff T.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:25 pm

A very useful little video there Dad-1. The Lowmac isn't a wagon I've attempted yet so must bear your comments in mind once I get round to building one. I'm guessing, looking at your end on photo, that Parkside Dundas mounting blocks aren't going to be a suitable option for couplings?

Paul

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:36 pm

Hi carnehan,

Quite correct, but there is the foundation for the kit included couplings
and a piece of flat plastic card stuck over that works, but still so little
clearance the NEM pockets are glued straight onto the plasticard.

A case of adapting as you go !!

Geoff T.

Return to “The Workbench”