Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
Bufferstop

Re: Dad-1 Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm

Just tried a magnet shoved in a drinking straw, it works on couplers that have had the orignal version of the Brian Kirby mod ie. one leg of the bent staple going up the vertical part of the coupler. (best of both worlds)
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:29 pm

A NEW & IMPROVED VIDEO ......
A real shunting session, don't recall having seen such an extensive set of movements on
a model railway video. But then "Marilyn" is a special loco !!
I can work TSP so easily, know all the points and here DCC is better than probe or switches.

https://youtu.be/TaWdlHCzfMI

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:14 pm

I'll show this now as it'll probably end in tears.

How odd a shape building can you make ! Low relief on two sides.
And a roof with battens .............

Makes a change to be back where this workbench thread started, with buildings.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:30 pm

Blimey Geoff, Roof battens?

Could this means individual slates/tiles?

Can't wait!

Jim.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:19 pm

Or will it be no tiles?

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:22 am

Funny you should say that railwayjim ......
Yes I think it will be. Back in November I bought a double size sheet of
very thin plasticard for 0ne pound. Having bought it I need to find a use !!

I probably enjoy experimenting as much as anything, I hope it keeps the mind
young, even if the rest of me is, shall we say, showing signs of prolonged use .

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:11 pm

I've not made the time to raid the loft for that thin plastic, but have been thinking about scenic modelling. It's
all too easy to progress onto increasingly complex builds. They can be interesting for silent watchers, but would
something complex tempt a New Railway Modeller to try making something for themselves for the first time ?

I had an Airfix/Dapol Country Inn kit sitting here in the work to do - sometime perhaps. Having been busy all
morning with decorating & a few urgent garden tasks I settled down to do something simple. I saw the Country Inn
roof sticking out from under some papers and though 'Now' is the best time.
For anyone prepared to learn a few basic modelling skills the Ex Airfix/Dapol range offers very low cost kits that
put together & painted well can be fitted into most railway layouts. When I say low cost, they are very affordable
this Inn will cost you around £6, some of their kits can be obtained for as little as £4.39 from Liverpool.

How simple ? Very, this building as per kit has just 36 parts, 2 small sheets of clear plastic for windows plus a
printed paper with 4 different pub signs. I'm making mine as a large estate farm house that may fit into a future
project.
As old tooling there is more than a little flash resulting in several hours just cleaning up all the window openings,
there are some 18 window frames, or half the kit parts !! Two chimney stacks went together almost perfectly, but
as always I drilled out each chimney.
The main 4 part structure has complex and potentially strong joining interfaces, but these need some scratching
to get a tighter crack free corner fit. Time spent doing this and cleaning window parts will be repaid in the quality
of a finished building.
A one piece roof fits well, particularly if time & care is taken preparing wall parts before glueing.

Here it stands at tea time tonight.

I will do a simple glazing job and then I will add some interior walls & floors to prevent "See Through" but those are
personal choice.
The remaining parts still to fit are the front & rear doors and two side drainpipes. I will probably add some guttering
along the front & rear elevations, with associated drain pipes.
For me the single most difficult job will be painting the outside with it's half timbered structure. I will post additional
pictures when it's finished sometime this week. The footprint size is 63 mm deep x 120 mm (inc side drainpipes)

Remember the first step is the hardest, if you don't start you won't learn. No one has ever been an experienced modeller
on their first attempt. It's cheap enough to take the risk ......................

Geoff T.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:31 am

I totally agree with you on this Geoff, there is still a place on most OO gauge layouts for these kits,
especially for beginners starting a layout on a budget and wanting buildings quick style!

I mentioned this only the other day on my workbench thread, giving credit where due to to the water tower,
usually around a fiver, tin of grey paint and within the day ready for the layout. Compared to other ready
made towers, considerably more expensive, I feel it's a bargain!

Great for practicing the art of weathering!!

Airfix-Dapol Water Tower 001.JPG
Airfix-Dapol Water Tower 001.JPG (88.38 KiB) Viewed 1358 times

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:54 am

Can I add my support for Dapol Kits to the above, in addition to the Water Tower, I have also used the signal gantry (modified), the footbridge (heavily modified), telegraph poles, the station kiosks, the platform canopy, turntable and the engine shed. With some rudimentary kit bashing, three Dapol shed kits can make a loco depot 18" long and spanning three tracks. The platform accessories are also quite good, particularly the barrows etc.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:48 am

Geoff, you are right about the kit being a good intro level one, also very right to use it as a farm house. The atmosphere inside would definitely be snug if it was a pub :wink: With its twin gabled frontage it's also a great candidate for converting into two low relief houses, or by doing a cut and shut get a low relief pub with three gables, with the addition of a bit of matching roof tile, there's enough wall to get one with four.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Just after the last posting my wife asked me to get something from the loft. Whilst up there I retrieved an old Dapol pub kit that was abandoned about 20 years ago.
Some savagery with a razor saw and knife, allowed a quick set of photos to illustrate the possible variations.
Dapol Pub.jpg
Dapol Pub.jpg (69 KiB) Viewed 1330 times

Going anti clockwise we have
The kit as it came
two low relief houses
a four gabled terrace if you can find a bit of matching roof tiles
a three gabled pub, without needing any extra bits.
If you needed an old coaching inn to fill a corner site three kits and a sheet of roofing tiles could form the bassis of a nice big building. It might even be possible to include an arched entrance through to a rear courtyard.
An old tip -If you are new to these old former Airfix kits the window frames and sills can look a bit chunky. Chop of the thick sill, insert the frame from the inside of the building and create a better looking sill from a bit of Micro-strip. After 20 years I haven't a clue where the original window frames are otherwise I would have mounted one each way to demonstrate.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:26 am

Hi Bufferstop,

Amazing what a little sawing can achieve !!
Funny you should post that as I was thinking two - all of £12 worth could be cut about to make
a Mock Tudor style low relief terrace nigh on 16" long. O.K a few windows would need removing
to be filled by plaster & timber panels. and additional doors. We need Chris Brown to get going
I'm certain he could dream up even more extreme revisions of the kit !!

Of course there is scope for improvements, the window frames are so thick with the glazing sunk
so very deep, but that's something for a more confident builder. My aim is simply to present a
cheap and surprisingly attractive kit building alternative to nice expensive resin buildings with
prices now frequently above £40 each !!

One of my fears, even when I was an ATC modelling instructor (mid 1980's to mid '90's) was the
de-skilling of modelling with the introduction on resin, brass, and white metal accessories that
eliminated the modellers need to make improvements them selves. My aim is to inspire ? that
sounds rather too grand, but at least open the door to some craft alternatives to spending money.

As I said to some sporting types at the ATC, don't look down on modellers & their skills. They
need to 'train' their skills just as any sportsman has to work hard if they want to be a success.
I have seen the sporting side as well so know what I'm talking about.

Geoff T.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:29 pm

It's my guess that quite a bit of modelling skill is down to something the sporty types are familiar with - muscle memory

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:55 pm

Not a good week for me .....................

The car still playing up, booked in for some work specified by me. Now looking to buy a code reader.
At least the bathroom is fully finished now ........ Only she thinks it's time I sorted the kitchen out.
Prepared for Beaminster show on Saturday. Cleaned track & a test session done.
Sky TV playing up - had to re-boot the Sky-HD box several times.
Bachmann Collectors Club stock boxes turned up & had to make up.
Had to replace the PIR operated security light, the old one died.
Then Tootally Thomas don't have 'James' available and I want one by February (Sherborne Exhibition)

Who knows - Next week may be better ....................

Geoff T.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:17 pm

Beginning to sound like one of my weeks Geoff.
Pete.

Return to “The Workbench”