Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
Mountain

Re: Dad1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Postby Mountain » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:46 am

It is funny that you mention "Electric powered model of a steam powered locomotive". I have had many thoughts that I would love to see model steam locomotives powered from their pistons via solenoids. Would it work? Actually it would make a fun modelling competition. Build a locomotive (Of any description) that uses solenoid propulsion. It would be a like the Rainhill Trials all over again in model form!

Dad-1

Re: Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:20 pm

More or less finishing the Open 'C'.
Now I can tell you all why the kit moulds have gone forever, never to be used again.
No I'm not a rival to Agatha Christie, the answer is obvious dear Watson.

It's the wrong size !!!
As I was decaling with some markings I'd sort of checked out, they wouldn't fit well in the available space.
Although my photos of originals don't show the Wheel Base marking I found 2 x 15 foot WB decals on an old
sheet that was shortly for the bin.
It is a 15 foot WB I thought, err it is ?, but I suppose I'd better look. Yes it was. A ruler was by my side and to
my horror the model WB was 55 mm rather than 60 mm it should be.
It looks quite nice though,

Obviously there was not a lot going for the kit.

Too low - buffers below acceptable height
Too Short - 15" full scale, or for modern types 5 mm in model form.
Morton brakes that didn't fit, yet DC III brake lever mounting moulded on the body.
Probably wrong buffers, but mine were missing so I can't be certain what they had supplied.

There were 5 different diagrams for these with many minor differences in buffers, strapping, brakes.
Mine was being done as a O19 version which itself was split into different manufacturing runs between
1917 & 1927, one covered numbers 94747 - 94930 & the other 99825 - 100000.

I will run it happily, perhaps alongside a Bachmann cattle wagon which is 4 mm too long, a difference of 1 mm
over the pair. It is a shame rather knocked the pleasure from the finished article.

Apart from an '0' gauge wagon I'm now stopping all my '00' builds due to the inability to source Bachmann short
tension-lock coupling which are my 'standard'

I suppose I should do some weathering, quite a lot needing that, probably over 100 !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:03 am

Geoff is it just the Bachmann three hole types that you can't get, if you can get the NEM split tail couplers there's usually a simple solution to fitting those with a bit of palsticard and a drop of solvent. You might even manage to put a screw hole through one if you are careful. I sotted the name change on some of your Youtube vids is it your change of policy or theirs? One or two other long running channels have change from ID's or nicknames to real names in the past week or two.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:04 am

Yes it might be too short, but it looks damn smart all the same.

Well done and good luck with your weathering :P

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:31 am

Hi Bufferstop,

It's the standard Bachmann NEM couplers, either their long, or short, Narrow Tension-Lock
types. They are my "standard" and I'll not deviate, mostly the short type although that
Open 'C' has long type where the head is identical, but there is more length between
the fish tails and the actual hook anchor area. These are best used where you have a
longer wagon, otherwise the Peco PA34 mounting blocks are likely to foul your axles.

I do actually have a few spare hook fittings from where I've fitted Kadees, however it's
the NEM pockets that are with every coupling that I need the most. Other makes, like
Hornby are not a good fit into the Peco mountings. There is no accurate industry
standard and I've settled onto what works best for me.

The story is Bachmann have them on order with China. Perhaps there has been a small
uptake in kit building which has stripped the market place bare. Several complaining
on RMWeb to the degree that Andy York rang Bachmann to see what the problem was.
To be fair it's not exactly a primary product for them and if there has been any hold-up
in China they would keep what they have for their own production.

Having stripped out of 4 of my wagons I feel it's wise to stop the practice. So no more
'00' builds until I can get the RIGHT product. I do have a 'O' wagon kit here, so I can see
that being brought forward. With 'O' they have 3 link couplings that come with the kit !!

I've also found that I've loads of flat plastic and embossed plastic - perhaps a few simple
village buildings ?? I can always find something to do.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:09 am

As a lone modeller I suppose the mounting method I use for couplings is not really a consideration, I'm not likely to need the "pull out plug in" option of the NEM designs and when I've finished with a model any "as new, un blemished" value to collectors has long gone. I suppose as a club member you always have a compatibility consideration. Tucking in the front coupler on "Truro" was a challenge, end to end with no turntable denied me the leave it off option. I could trim the shoulders of the plug in coupler to make it go in deeper but setting the coupler far enough in to be in line with the buffer heads meant its tails touched the first axle. In the end I chopped off the excess on the inside and drove a sliver of plastic, with a dab of Bostik Clear, with luck it's still removable.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:59 pm

Addiction, better than abject boredom when the weather's wet, windy and cold.
Bachmann may have stalled my production line going into service, but I can still make something
that I have sitting here in a box.

Ratio again, I feel it's a shame that they didn't develop a few more different wagons. The basic
BR freight folio is very limited. What I had in the box were 2 different issues of the Ratio GWR
Iron Mink 'A'. Something nobody else has bothered with it main stream kits, or RTR.
I've built a few and they are very simple, with very few parts. Yet for all that they make up into
nice little models. Here we have a few of my earlier jobs, first one modified to represent an
engineers tool, workshop that I made to run with a crane.

Another of mine

I wonder if I can find a picture of the one I made for the clubs West Bay layout ?
Had to add to my Photo Hosting file, but here we are.

In the meantime here I am with the latest builds.
The very old (40 years + ?) bagged kit with plastic wheelsets and no decals. A surprising amount of flash,
something one usually associates with old much use moulds.

Not a lot to show from that as I worked so quickly and didn't have the camera at hand. Here though you
see the old kit made and a parts of a very new version from Peco. The new and more expensive issue comes
complete with brass bearing cups, nice metal wheels and a decal sheet offering several different numbers.

These are so light they do need some ballast. What's heavy and cheap ? No not stones from the garden although
I have done that on a few occasions. I used two 2 penny pieces held down by a piece of scrap plastic tube. I have
tried gell superglue, but that can sometimes come loose !!

Image.

Is it worth the new 2020 price level of near to £9 ??. First it's easy, so almost anyone should get a good working
model. It is the complete package, bearings, metal wheel sets, decals. Interestingly it also had much less flash
around the moulded pieces. You do still have some cleaning up, in particular the buffers which are more
delicate than the old hard black plastic versions.

I shall make one with large letters, the other with small, other than making the Blue 'Salvage' version they are
all just dark grey. Perhaps a photo of them when painted and decalled.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:59 am

Because I can't get any Bachmann NEM small narrow tension-lock couplings the last two
Iron Minks are sitting gathering dust. I won't add decals until after couplings are fitted
and the wagon test run.

That has brought me to my one remaining 'O' wagon, that has everything needed to complete
short of paint and glues !!

All looking fine until I noticed the poor moulding on one corner !!

The trouble to either try to exchange, or get money back if the supplier doesn't have any in
stock just isn't worth it.
As a supposedly reasonable modeller it shouldn't be beyond me filling this in and reinstating
the missing strapping, even the rivets. All it does is give me more work and slow the build.

Geoff T.

Stainsacre

Postby Stainsacre » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:08 pm

Leave it as a hole in the corner with an 0 gauge rat poking his head through :wink:
Dave

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:45 pm

WHAT ? Rats chewing through wagon sides - In Yorkshire ? No way, perhaps in London ??

Right, here we have an original corner.

Then my re-built corner. Camera close-ups are cruel, but I think a light sanding and couple of coats
of paint will hide even better

At least I'll be able to get back to making the kit.

Geoff T.

Stainsacre

Postby Stainsacre » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:53 am

That will be more than fine Geoff, good job 8)
Dave

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:22 pm

I can hardly believe it, 6 years almost to the day since I started this workbench thread.
Rushing towards 110,000 viewings, all I can imagine is that making things is still popular.

Thank you all who have either silently watched, or made replies. Believe me your support
keeps me busy with new projects and ideas.

Geoff T.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:05 am

I may not comment, but read every post! Always interesting what your upto!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:33 pm

A few days catch up.

7 mm models do offer increased detail, one of the reasons behind the much increased prices.
This detail also takes time to make up and at times one has to check quite often to understand the
instructions and illustrations for assembly as they are sometimes confusing.

Here we have the braking system

Prior to painting

Sides only painted in with my other 'O' gauge stock.

Now requiring more detail painting, plus the roof. This time I've added over 100 mm of steel bar inside
to improve the riding quality. I think around 200 grams is right for the completed wagon.

I'm currently looking at Old wagons and deciding what to do with them. Some Lima wagons are having
their flanges filed down so they don't catch on fine scale rail chairs. Wheel sets being changed in some
Mainline & Airfix wagons, replacing the original plastic with metal sets. You can't just exchange with
most Lima as they have different length axles to the current norm.

Geoff T.

Ahh thanks for the comment Timbersurf, we don't see you posting here as often as you used to.

Geoff T

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:33 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Ahh thanks for the comment Timbersurf, we don't see you posting here as often as you used to.

Geoff T

Never stopped looking regularly, just nowt to post! It seems quieter in the forum in general this year! My mojo has gone too, health has been poor and the inclination to model with it. Layout is on hold as I have no space, waiting ultimately to buy a bespoke house to suit it. (huge garden for little money is hard to find! lol) In the mean time I did do the church diorama viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44849&start=345#p678469 in March but not much since, but I am currently doing a huge diorama that I will post soon (a week or two)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “The Workbench”