Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
Dad-1

Re: Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:32 pm

I just thought I'd let visitors to this thread who may not look at my diorama thread
see why I'll be slowing for a while. I have just a few weeks to finish this Diorama for the club's
2019 competition.

The puddle isn't shiny enough, a natural drainage from the embankment. more gloss varnish needed

It was the occupational under bridge that inspired this scene. Here the narrow sliver at the back.

More to do than you may guess !

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 pm

It's quite a creditable damp patch all the same. I'd be a bit cautious making less shiny again it could prove difficult. A jolly good diorama as it is, just a very ordinary bit of scenery but every bit of it is detail. I usually only get it looking that good by accident.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:20 pm

I like the sun bleached grass near the top of the embankment! :)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:26 am

Thank you Bufferstop & TimberSurf for the kind comments.

I will very soon be back to producing one, or two more wagon kits.
I'm waiting for some decals to be sent to finish the 'Mermaid' ballast wagons and an almost forgotten
Parkside Mica fresh meat wagon.

Probably the last shot of my 'Old Farmhouse' diorama. Just a little extra vegetation, reeds around the back
of that pond and an odd bush. It's already been returned to my shed.

If I've not posted any/many pictures of the GWR Mica B X7 the above blank space will
have one added, when I find, or if I'd not even taken photos a new one !!
Only 2 pictures - none of the build, but it stalled because of those end wire grab rails that you
have to bend from 0.5 mm wire. It too k a long time to get 4 that looked alike !!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:04 am

While still awaiting decals ordered on 4th November I've started another kit, or more !!
First not yet started, but interesting with regard to it's vintage. Here is the packet in
which is a Ratio Coke Wagon kit, look at the stamp. I suspect this is from the early 1960's
well before Ratio became one of the Peco Brands. As the original addressee is long deceased
there is no harm in showing the full address, look Ratio at Chorleywood - that IS history.

The started project is another Cambrian kit, but this time their 'Shark' 20 Ton Plough Brake
Van, Kit No.c14.

Here I'm checking all the parts against instructions making certain of the condition. This again
is an old kit and a couple from my source did have broken parts and one part constructed. Here
it's all present and correct. I will remove parts from the sprues and clean up any flash to improve
parts fit.

Funny, it was never my intention to have an engineers train, but that's where my current efforts
are directed. A long way to go on this build, including finding out (If I can) what colour the first
4 that were made at Derby in 1951 were painted, could have been Bauxite rather than the later
Black ????

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:10 pm

I've done a little research on Ratio and they were working from Chorleywood between 1959
and 1961. That indicating this kit must have been one of their early examples from as long
as 60 years ago.

Do I make it, or give to Peco as a museum piece ?

Geoff T.

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:43 pm

If I were a wagon wizard, I would make it
North lane Adventures in a box room

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:46 pm

Ask Peco to swap it for a modern one, win win
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:08 pm

Progress , always some progress, even if it's going backwards, the footsteps are always additional.
The SHARK ...... it's bitten me a couple of times.
Almost all my own fault, first the brake hangars, Cambrian have in my experience always been spaced
for EM/P4. This time I didn't mod at the beginning as with the Mermaids, but later by adding small spacers
that I later drill through to fit the top of the moulded on spigots.

Replaced the vacuum brake cross shaft with wire, I was going to try to use the kit part, but it broke when trying
to clean up the sprue attachment lump.

There were issues with fitting of the solebars and headstocks. I'd got slightly too high, it's amazing what can be
done with pliers so long as the glue and adjoining plastic is still softish.
Now ready for building in the big plough control wheels.

The Ratio kit - they would keep & use, but suggested perhaps making it would be more fun - I tend to agree.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:36 am

I think I'm becoming a recycling centre - We all know it makes sense.
Following on from being given the early 1960 Ratio kit I received an unexpected present
from a long standing cyber-friend, a Ratio GWR bogie bolster kit. That has now pushed
my wagon collection above 500, just, 501 actually.

Back to subject matter.
The Shark has some interior detail, control levers and wheel to be white, the supporting metalwork ? Black ?

I suppose it's not woth fussing too much as how much detail will you see from lineside ?

Now fitted glazing to cabin windows

All steady progress, yet I've still not worked out if I can fit NEM pockets without butchering the ploughs.
I'm not fussed though as a wire loop will be fine and visually less impact.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:35 pm

After needing access to the interior for painting The remaining side fixed into place.
Elastic bands make a fine third hand

Now I've decided it will be black a little paint went on before bed.

The kit design was for some Vee Plates to be attached to the top of each plough and then stick in place.
I wanted one plough lowered almost to working height. So I made plasticard inserts that the Vee Plates
are attached to and have glued in place.

One will have the plough stuck in against my insert, the other I've made a step onto which the plough will
be attached. I can't be certain yet as we've lots of wet paint, but the idea is when this plough is attached
it'll be very close to the rail head, more or less working height rather than retracted.

Soon to be looking for decals for one of the first 4 BR constructed, built in 1951.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:57 pm

The Vee protective plates fixed as separate items. At the same time I bent my 0.5 mm wire coupling loops
these are slightly thinner than intended, but my only other option was 1.0 mm wire that I considered too thick.
When painted with a blotchy black, grey and dark earth they will be difficult to see. The advantage is no holes
through the Vee plates or ploughs. Disadvantage ? none really as this is for use at the end of an engineers train
and all my other engineering stock has hooks.

Plough in the fully retracted position as was the kits intention and the usual not in use location.

Here is my other end, down almost to rail head height and when being fixed may be slightly lower.

Wire loops work well, but my thin wire could spring when pushing, but that should only be the brake van so I don't
expect a problem.

Now time to start weathering before fixing ploughs in place. An interesting project that for some strange reason has
caught my imagination. I fancy in the future a picture with the lowered plough moving loose ballast.

Geoff T.

Dave

Postby Dave » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:28 pm

Geoff,

Not sure where you are planning on running this but I would check that the lowered plough doesn't foul on the spring housing on your pointwork
North lane Adventures in a box room

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:29 am

Hi Dave,

I will be checking over Peco Set-Track points before all glued into place. If my memory serves me well (In doubt)
the later Peco points have a different over-centre spring arrangement and are flatter than Set-Track and early
production. I have all types in use in differing places.

I had been intending to take a short break and have put several not fully finished, mostly weathering, but a few
still need decals away onto my loft layout "Two Short Planks". That plan was thrown into question when out of the
blue I received a Ratio Bogie Bolster Kit No.562 as a gift, and I was unable to resist !!

First the loft line up of 22 recent (Since June) wagon builds.

The Bogie Bolster details later.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:24 pm

The Ratio Bogie Bolster kit No.562 is quite simple, but with the odd wrinkle.
One of the build problems is that you need to replace early plastic kit wheels for metal.
However the axle lengths were longer and you can't just exchange without knowing
roughly what to do.

A metal (Hornby) wheel set in front of the original kits plastic wheels - note axle lengths, even visible in this photo.
The bogies alongside have Hornby wheels fitted. The kit axle box holes are quite large and there is no need to try to
drill out to 2.0 mm for brass bearing inserts. They alone are not the answer as they sit rather loose in the holes and
would benefit from a washer under the top-hat, I didn't have any suitable, my 1.6 mm stainless steel washers wouldn't
fit over the bearing shank. My rather less than perfect remedy was to feed a little superglue on a pin onto the top-hat
and then using a scalpel blade to hold prized out slightly until set. A small amount on each end and you should keep your
wheel sets central - Take GREAT care not to get superglue on the axle or the wheels will be stuck solid !!!
Note in this picture the top-hat is not against the plastic of your axle box.

Everything else goes together O.K. But couplings become the problem. I assume the included plastic coupling parts do align,
but as I've not made that way I can't comment. I wanted to have NEM pockets, but the tab extending from the bogie is at
the wrong height and with bogies made as per kit you're stumped. I decided to use the wire loop to produce a working
coupling, but as there is NO hook it is essential that this is run adjoined to a wagon or locomotive that is so fitted.

Then just a fitting of Staunchions

Finished with a good on track test running, now for decalling and painting, or at least the other way around !!

I quite enjoyed that surpris present !!

Geoff T.

Return to “The Workbench”