Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
Dad-1

Re: Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:51 pm

I do like this subject, but already I can see where I could have improved on my results.
As yet it's nowhere near being pulled along in a train to see how it behaves. That will
have to wait until I have some Romford 3 link sprung couplings, on the way, perhaps a
couple of days.

One of the difficulties for anyone wanting to draw along in a train is the fixing of any couplings
other than 3 link. Any other type will foul the openings in each end of the solebars that hold jacking
girders used to provide support on anything over a certain lift weight.

As can be seen they have to be cut, just keeping the protruding ends to make the central area free
for couplings. The other end where 3 links should give me the space there are the complete girders.
I had problems getting some weight under, a very old pure lead weight still needed some trimming.

It's difficult to get cross shafts into place after joining the two sides, I also didn't have the end locations
dead oposite each other.

During my searches I found some pictures of one rusting away on the Severn Valley Railway. The basic
colour being GWR wagon grey, however the jib above the trunnions that hold jib support bars was white.

Now fitted with tension-lock couplings at each end.

Geoff T
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:57 pm

One interesting 'Aside' is that this is sold as a 6 ton crane.
Yet reading the warning plate on the end of the Severn Valley relic it's
instructions give the maximum weight at 16 ft radius, the minimum
shown as 3 tons, reducing to just 1.1/2 tons at it's maximum 21 ft radius
of lift. ?? Why nothing heavier shown ???

Regardless of that I like this for being so different !!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:46 pm

I wouldn't expect the 6ton version to look particularly different to a 3ton one, The differences would be some incremental changes to the steelwork in the jib and some uprating of the mechanism in the winch. Or perhaps the 3ton one was downrated from six due to the age of the same components.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Stainsacre

Postby Stainsacre » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:35 pm

Normal practice to rate a crane by its maximum, rather than what it can lift at the extremity.
Dave

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:43 am

Hi Bufferstop & Stainsacre,

The model is an exact match to the Severn Valley Railway pictures and it is
described as being a 6 ton crane so I have a theory :-
I believe the weight and lift radius as shown on the back of the ballast box is correct for un-supported operations.
However if the outriggers are correctly in place to stabilize it, the lifting weight can be doubled.

If I find a way to 'lift' the photo showing radius lifting weights I'll add as an enlarged notice segment.

Yesterday was rough down here on the Dorset Coast, at least we live on very high ground so no chance of flooding.
What CAN you do on a day you don't want to go outside, not even to the shed, or garage.
In my case find one of my old Airfix kits, genuine boxed Airfix Cattle Wagons, I have, no, had 3, now down to 2
in stock. Here we have, it will no doubt take me weeks to suitably paint and decal. The roof is still loose for painting.
I feel like making with all the doors open and having someone inside cleaning it out. Can't fit in a running train that
way, but I already have several running cattle wagons.

My Romford sprung 3 link couplings have arrived today, so back to my crane.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:11 pm

Had to tidy up a little storm damage in the garden
so no time spent on the three link couplings.

Yes I know one side should have the other 3 links dangling, but this is just
to see if it's worth it - No it isn't for any regularly running train, this fitment
is one of necessity.

It is going to be VERY difficult with my sight and old fumbly hands to get the split pin
through the small hole in the end and compress the spring !!

As close up as this you really do see the current lack of rust on the buffer shanks !!

Geoff T.

Stainsacre

Postby Stainsacre » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:54 pm

Dad-1 wrote:it was time to finish something.

It would appear that this little stunner has found its way up north.

I am very grateful Geoff

FBBB0537-A396-4878-8CA9-28922C4D8968.jpeg
Dave

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:07 pm

Hi Dave,

Dunno what Middleburgh could have been sending to Port Talbot, but these things often used to get 'Lost'
before TOPS …. the lads just forgot to send it back !! I expect a GWR Bogie Bolster appearing may have
reminded them ?
That's the back story anyway.

Onwards and Upwards ?

O.K everything doesn't go right. I've had and have problems with one of my Airfix Cattle Wagons. It comes down to
lack of care when drilling out the axle boxes for brass bearings. The original Airfix kits had slots in the axle boxes
to take their reduced shaft diameter axle ends. Drilling accurately into a slot means it's very easy to get variations
and while wagon 1 was fine, wagon 2 has one out, which has resulted in more diagonal rock in the rolling chassis than
I like. This means No.2 will have all doors closed and additional weight added in the hope it won't derail easily. Should
it give me problems the answer will be to fit Hornby 3 hole wheels in place of the currently fitted Dapol spoked type.
Those deeper Hornby flanges have their uses !!

All in the paint shop at the moment so no photos until next posting.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:32 pm

Current work bench clogged with the GWR 6 ton crane, awaiting weathering and then
two Airfix cattle wagons. Here they are alongside a Bachmann RTR 'weathered' version
from a set of 3 they did some years ago. I use the Bachmann one as a guide to the overall
colouring, I don't want exact, but near enough to look right, but have individuality.

More painting to do on them before I'm finished.
An interesting point for some is that the Bachmann version is too long, where as the Airfix ones
are spot on !! Then they do have their own weaknesses.

Geoff T

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Is it always wagons ? No not at all, a long time back I did a few postings of plasticard buildings I
built for various projects.
About 5 years ago I fancied making a building with a curved corner. The difficulty is curving embossed
plastic. I wrapped around a small bottle and poured very hot (Boiling Water) when it was tightly held
down with elastic bands. As often happens it was put aside and all but forgotten.
Move forward 5 years and tidying up my cupboard I came across this little piece of plastic, then double
checked a couple of envelopes one which held most of the building parts. I just fancied a change, so
perfect timing.
Now the actual shell is together, leaving some interesting jobs still to do. Most difficult will be the roof
as I've decided to make a curved roof, this necessitating the whole roof to be made with rafters, battens
and individual tiles !! Windows will be slow due to wanting old fashioned small panes.

By pure luck my curved plastic exactly fitted the gaps I left each side for attachment.
The large window is because I fancy this being a shop - Acorn Antiques anybody ?

I did seriously think about keeping to straight roofing giving a corner overhang, but didn't like the idea.
I plan a hoist to lift heavy items to the upper floor.

My side street entrance

A change is as good as a rest they say ...... ????

Geoff T.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:43 pm

I love the curve of the building. It gives it character.

Return to “The Workbench”