Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
Dad-1

Re: Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:03 pm

Dave,

That sounds like you have a plan !!

Tony,

Those 40 tonners were monsters, in white metal they must be quite heavy. It'll be interesting to compare
with your plastic version.

I must say that Cambrian Kits had started slipping away, but the new owners are trying hard to reinvigorate
the brand. H A Models at the Blandford Show had a couple of rotating display stands with the full range.
Not only that they were at prices to sell, not much, but slightly under the Cambrian direct sales prices.
Here is the new look packaging

Contents now in a softer grey plastic and easier to work with than the original hard black plastic. Here are
the contents.

As can be seen I've already painted outside of the hopper and I'll probably do more so when the recently ordered
ModelMaster decal sheets arrive I can press on .....

The other little job I've been doing is making up 5 Dapol 'Esso' 35 Ton GLW Class 'B' oil tanks. Still some sorting out
of the ladders and touch-up painting before I weather and over varnish to hide the decal film

As usual I've been cutting decals to make 'other' numbers, 3333 being the easiest !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:15 pm

Dad-1 wrote: Those 40 tonners were monsters, in white metal they must be quite heavy. It'll be interesting to compare
with your plastic version.Geoff T.

This was, I think, the last kit produced by K's before they left the model railway market Geoff, and relatively few were produced. The body is plastic, with wire truss rods and white-metal bogies and couplings. So, not too heavy. I'll use the bogies if the castings are up to it and ditch the couplings completely.

Really nice tanks there by the way. Amazing, considering their origins. Incidentally, I read today that carrier film can be hidden substantially, if not completely [if they are good transfers], by laying the waterslide transfer over a film of wet Klear. Have to be quick though, as Klear dries very quickly. Might be worth practising on scrap plastic card to see if it works? I guess that a black background will always be a challenge though.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:31 am

Ahh Tony, It shows my limited knowledge 'K's to me means white metal !!

The decal film should be seriously reduced, even these 40 year old Airfix leathery ones,
having been placed onto a high gloss finish and be over-painted with a clear varnish. I
would only attempt to lay very small decals on wet Klear, as you say it dries too fast for
getting placed before you'd have it stuck down.

Dave - I have an idea for you. You say you have kits "In stock". Here is a plan :-

Make a very small yard/roundy using those super tight curves each end, with a set track point on a
short straight to allow a short siding.
This to be a "Test Track", giving you a reason not to pull apart because it doesn't quite do what you
want as a layout. Keep it because it's a test track for kit built wagons and always there to 'use'.
Something like 'Tea Yard' you should be able to hang on a wall anything up to 5 feet long, so when not
in use it's safely tucked away in the garage.
To use your scenic craft have on slight risers of say 20 - 25 mm to allow ditch/stream to run under tracks.
By running ribs under the raised track you stiffen by having made a box monocoque that reduces the
size, weight of any under board stiffeners - remember that as a test track it MUST have well laid flat track.

Then once up and running make a kit or three and gradually start developing some scenic elements, but
as this is not the reason to have the layout, it's a 'Test Track', you'll not be tempted to pull apart ??

A mini St Oval ? and once into kit making it is likely to become addictive and help save the mini layout !!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dave

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:33 am

Dad-1 wrote:Dave - I have an idea for you. You say you have kits "In stock". Here is a plan :-

Cheers Geoff,

No excuses, today is as good a day as any, a saw, hammer, scalpel or tool of some sort needs to be brought out of retirement...

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:58 pm

Putting some action onto the workbench thread !!

The recent oil tank builds and the 'Catfish' engineers wagon being reversed around St Oval my
much used test track. Several other part completed builds also on view, I really should finish
more of them before starting another project.

https://youtu.be/76ucXGISHas

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:48 pm

While I'm churning out run of the mill wagons Matto22 is turning out masterpieces.

Back to volume over substance.
In the general questions thread there is a query regarding adding weight to wagons.
I'd prefer NOT to, but you need to be practical and it's worth adding just a small amount
of ballast to lighter wagons, or longer wheelbase types

First class flat track work, a square and flat wagon chassis should run acceptably with even the lightest wagons
managing to push, or pull 15 - 20 without any derailing. It's one of my standard tests, often well before the wagon
is really ready. Here today I've been pulling and pushing a very light chassis from a Cambrian 'Catfish'.

This is the 14th Wagon in this train.

It was also pushing 13 wagons, 5 of them Dapol 35 ton GLW oil tanks, some with more weight than i needed.

I tend to use Hornby wheel sets more often than not to take advantage of their deeper and better profile flanges.
Dapol have a funny profile and somewhat smaller flanges and on poor track will often cause problems. I also use
Alan Gibson wheels as supplied with, in particular Parkside kits. Small, but sharp flanges are fine, but these wheels
DO cause problems with Kadees where they are more magnetic than your Dapol/Hornby/Bachmann equivalents.

The other 'Killer' for kit built wagons is badly aligned couplings. They need to be parallel to the direction of travel
and on the centre line of a wagons rolling attitude. Also as near to EXACTLY the same height as all you other stock,
any that sag, a notorious Dapol RTR fault, need re-positioning.

It is fun honestly !!!!

Geoff T.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:37 pm

You have a nice layout.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:15 pm

That's just the one in his garage! He has another in the loft and one that's so big he has to hire a hall to put it all together!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:00 pm

Yes Bufferstop,

Too many - now if I'd concentrated on one, or two, I might have more "completed" layouts.
Only HS2 and Thomas can be considered as completed, well whatever almost finished means.

The awful remains from an over active butterfly mind !!
My life is full of "That's an interesting idea, I think I'll try it"

Geoff .

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:27 pm

Much the same as mine works, but not on the layout scale. At the moment I have part finished or "in development" motor bogies, various small locos which although running need various improvements (rebuilds) before I'll call them finished, a set of drawings,and trial 3D prints of small components for a Wisbech and Upwell bogie coach, a set of drawings of 1970's underground D stock to use as the basis of drawings for a class 230. It's taking longer to convert the drawings than it's taken Viva Rail to convert the old bodies into DMUs. It would be much easier if I could do one thing at a time.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dave

Postby Dave » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:06 pm

Dad-1 wrote:The awful remains from an over active butterfly mind !!
My life is full of "That's an interesting idea, I think I'll try it"

I know exactly what you mean, we must be cut from the same cloth

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:12 pm

Grounded with a stinking cold - No club night for me tonight !!

As I went down with this cold over the week end I spent a short while running my recently built Cambrian Kits
and became aware that the Dapol brake van with it's TrainTech movement activated lamp was still FAR
from finished. Well I found the start on page 61 of this thread in August 2018 ....... some delay !!

Currently bending wire grab rails to try to update this old Dapol kit. I've already fitted glazing into all
the windows

Those moulded on grab rails do date it, looks much better with wire replacements.

Geoff T

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:22 pm

My decals arrived for the Catfish ...... a crammed sheet of engineers wagons, but with only
one set of early markings. I either do the second one with the later 'Boxed' details, or buy
another decal sheet !!

Here we have a pristine hopper, still not attached to the chassis because I need to weather first,
as once in the chassis it'll become very difficult to access the hopper sides.

I can't find the side step boards for the Dapol brake van ???????? More hold-up !!

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:43 pm

As I was unable (so far) to find the Brake Van's repaired stepboards another complete kit was ordered,
not exactly a fortune only £5.50 and I suppose if/when the missing packet is located I can make another !

This is not comparable quality to say a current Bachmann version it certainly makes life easier to include
a movement activated tail lamp. You simply build it in as you go along.
What I have done on this, my second Dapol brake, is remove the moulded on grab rails and replaced with
some made from 0.5 mm brass wire. It's a job that needs accuracy and care, but looks so much better.
It's also been fully glazed and now decalled as B951551 from the first vacuum braked BR std van production
from 1952.

Back in 2015 I made my first one, also incorporating a TrainTech lamp, but only added grab rails along the
end platforms.
To get to the battery for replacement the roof has to stay a press-fit, something to take care with when
photographing !!

More decals on the way for the 'Catfish', due this week. It looks like a mammoth weathering session needed
very soon.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:21 pm

Catfish decals arrived.
Depending if you want more than one engineers wagon I'd suggest for the Cambrian kits Catfish you
go for the small ModelMaster decal MMC11W rather than the all encompassing general sheet 4867.

Here you see one with heavier print from the general sheet, the other smaller dainty and more accurate
one from the small sheet.

Now to weather.

Geoff T.

Return to “The Workbench”