Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
Lysander

Re: Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Postby Lysander » Wed May 29, 2019 10:13 pm

Interesting stuff Geoff. I only wish that I had been as fastidious with my wagon builds! I have a nice rake of about 40-50 mixed goods which have a variety of couplings, having been built over many years. The rake runs well on the test track, but only after an age spent coupling them in the correct order and several proving runs first! I so wish I had started out with Kadees as a standard...

Thanks for the considered reply.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu May 30, 2019 9:08 am

Hi Tony,

No you don't wish you'd started out with Kadees .......

My main fleet runs on Bachmann Narrow Tension-lock in NEM pockets.
Kadees are a pain to set-up, if you think your mixed fleet is 'Difficult',
that 'aint nothing compared with the problems of trying to get Kadees
to operate well with lightweight BR wagon stock.

The Kadees are another story that I have yet to crack to my satisfaction.
Again it's not weight as is so often bandied about, it's all about trying to
hide magnets, if you're fussy scenically as I am. Hidden magnets cause
magnetic creep that can only effectively be fixed by adding brakes to
each wagon. A complete story ....... I'm stillworking on !!

Here was the last reversing test, all Bachmann Narrow tension-lock in
NEM pockets and small magnetic slivers added to the hook tops to
enable me to uncouple anything, anywhere, an out of scale shunter
with an out of scale shunters pole, but more prototypical than Kadees !!

https://youtu.be/_nhe-qDVCPU

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:33 am

While watching the semi-permanent train going around St Oval I noticed that I'd
still not added all the decals to my Parkside Z2 GWR Gunpowder van. Better do
a catch-up job !!

Here without the red GPV that should be on each end and top left hand sides. As
yet I've not been able to locate what I want. At least I now feel it's more, or less
dressed. A couple of pages back a picture of it when couplings were being fixed
and aligned (dated 19th April).

How many more skeletons sit around ?

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:50 am

Another wagon gone through the works.
The Ratio kit of an early Iron Mink is simple and easy to make with the exceptions of :-
A) Rather delicate, but with increasing flash so great care needed in removing & cleaning up parts.
B) The original was made for longer than standard axles. Although now including brass bearings and a nice
wheel-set there is excessive end float when built with vertical 'W' irons. I added thin plastic washers to
each bearing hole and it's given me a good fit. These washers only need to be very thin.

Weathering and a little tidying up needed, but run reliably and can still be bought for around £7 although I
do add to costs by insisting on using Bachmann narrow tension-lock couplings in Peco PA34 mountings.

So easy I may do another with the later smaller GW side decals. Number 11152 is now re-built and was for
a long time in Blue with the WWII Salvage paint scheme.

Geoff T.

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:02 pm

Excellent modelling, throughout.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:03 am

Thanks Glencairn,

Always trying to tempt others to take the plunge and make some of their own wagons.

Monday the weather was awfull ..... so out came one of my 4 remaining kit stock.
A Parkside PC26 BR/LNER planked vent van with corrugated ends. I will say not one of their best.
More flash than usual and slightly thicker components because of the loose? mould fit. This makes
getting supet 'tight' corners difficult.

My current weight policy is to use tuppenny pieces, stuck in queens head uppermost. This is actually
cheaper than any bought weights and about the ideal ballast.

Alongside a much later Parkside kit of a BR/LNER Fruit Van which was a somewhat better fitting item.

An example was the brake cross shaft that was too short and broke as I tried to clean it up. I replaced with
a cut down dressmaking pin.

Couplings on and matched for height

Now running around St Oval, but obviously still needing more painting and then decalling.

This far in 3 days, I was out all yesterday and couldn't do anything on it.

Geoff T.

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:19 am

Dad-1 wrote:Always trying to tempt others to take the plunge and make some of their own wagons.

I have the kits, glue, paint etc etc etc...

And a great mentor in yourself... no excuse really :oops:

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:45 pm

You said it Dave !

On, or is it At ? West Bay Wagon Works, usually fully committed to working on, you guessed - Wagons.
Well this afternoon I've been trying to get my Split Chassis Bachmann 43XX running. It failed lat time I
tried to run it.
I though the muffs may have failed as the wheels were locked. However it seems that the Cross Head
had jammed on a connecting rod screw head. My DCC wiring from more than a few years back couldn't
take me working on the loco having the decoder fitted tender attached.
I spent ages repairing, filing down the wheel mounted bushes slightly also reducing the fixing lengths to
match. Superglued the Cross -Head together and decided to extend my wires to the tender.

Put all together again and it's not behaving well at all. First the tender won't go through Set-Track points.
It gets squeezed out and there is no way you can reduce the back to back. Then it started being silly, ignoring
messages and then cutting out (Lenz protection) without shorting out the DCC system.
NOT A SUCCESSFUL DAY.

Wagons are so much easier !!

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Apart from weathering this BR (E) van now done, decals on !
Just realized that I've now built over 100 wagon kits .........

Geoff T.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:01 pm

Got your telegram from the Queen yet ?!

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:49 pm

No not yet Tony.
I have however found my way back here after a few weeks when I didn't quite know where I was and what I was doing !!

I've been tempted back by a bulk purchase of pirates gold, Well a deceased modellers stash of 17 assorted wagon kits for
a bargain price that i couldn't refuse.

Although I've got rather a lot of them already I've started this week working on 3 Airfix 16 Ton Minerals. This is basically the
current Dapol kit with a few historical differences, one of which I wasn't aware of. These were really old boxed versions that
included the two-part plastic wheel sets. What I didn't know was that Airfix had oval axle holes in the solebars. I can only assume
that this was to allow some Very basic compensation.

I was more than a little anxious about getting a true chassis as these holes need drilling as deep as possible with a 2.0 mm drill.
I wasn't expecting to get as accurate as I though I needed. Above you can see where I have drilled and then opened up to countersink
the top-hat in an attempt to get the axle boxes vertical.

An example of the old Airfix art work on the box, even then there were errors. Dapol's artwork shows the white tip-end stripe at the
fixed end. Airfix had that right, but show the tare weight at the left-hand side where the wagon number and load weight should be !!
Parkside PA34 coupling mounting blocks will fit directly onto the circular mounting under the wagon ends, first you need to cut the two
ridges on each block and lightly abraid to help sticking.

It is essential to get couplings set at the correct height. Here you see the level of accuracy to aim for.

One kit was part made and not in my preferred sequence it was also not particularly well done with some under floor ribs cut away ?

These wagons have always had a slightly undersize width floor, no matter what variant you get. I decided this time to add a strip of
plastic 0.5 mm x 1.0 mm along one edge, not enough to create a lopsided wagon, but enough to prevent that nipped narrowing you
get without the mod.

After 3 days and a lot of messing around with that part built one I now have 3 more 16 tom minerals that have proved to be good
runners during some testing late this afternoon.

Doors free enough to open and close - to keep that, great care and the occasional scraping will be needed during and after painting !!

Am I back ? Perhaps.

Return to “The Workbench”