Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
Lysander

Re: Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Postby Lysander » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:39 am

That's a really nice job Geoff. I also have a Palvan but lettered it - deliberately - incorrectly. It is an old K's white-metal kit which I bough in a very poor condition and without wheels, but with NE lettering. It looked so good in that livery that i decided to reinstate it after dismantling and rebuilding. A photo for comparison with your's, below, shows how much better modern injection-moulding is in providing the fine detail. And, of course, mine weighs a ton!

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi Lysander,

As far as the quality of workmanship goes I know yours took
a lot more effort.
NE why not ? While I do pay lip-service to accuracy I enjoy playing
trains, so many post nationalization wagons do run in LMS or GWR
rakes.
I could never be pedantic ....... I also think that old wagon was damn
good from it's period in time.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:29 am

In my posting of 1st July I mentioned the de-railing problems I was experiencing with a few of the Dapol 16 Ton
mineral wagon kits. As explained I swapped wheel-sets around to use the deeper flanged Hornby wheels.
On Tuesday evening - Club Night I ran a long coal train as a final test of running qualities. All my Dapol kit wagons
were assembled behind a Hornby 42XX and then to really test the running under load added some 30 Bachmann
wagons. My empty wagons have NO additional weight added, loaded ones just the load itself.
The result was this 43 + brake (44) set ran without any problems at all, eventhough there are a few rocky joins
on the clubs test track.
I can now confidently operate in any length train ........ Unless some wagon decides it'll get back at me !!!
I've learned to take nothing for granted.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:46 am

Murphy's Law clause 42, "There's always one problem which only comes to light once the customer is present." Then I guess your career has left you well aware of that one :roll:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:12 am

During my preparations for the forthcoming Bridport exhibition I've been going through
stock boxes and finding more of my 90% jobs. Those I build until something else catches
my imagination, or there are 'difficulties' that I choose to leave until later to solve !

After the Pallet van I've returned to a Parkside BR ex SR BY luggage/guards van. This
stalled due to not being able to find enough information, or decals to be confident I'd
have it marked correctly. Well after nearly 3 years I decided to finish with what I have
in the decal store.

I can't find ANY pictures of this colour scheme and feel that nearly all the markings should
be on the right hand end, but smaller than the decals I have. Here we have MY interpretation

Now I need to paint and finish the one alongside that's going to be SR malachite green. I
find these interesting vans, but I have NO books on SR stock and have no intention of spending
anything up to £60 on books I'll never need again.

Now just in case I hurt Mountains feelings when I said I didn't use, or ever want to use real coal
here is an example of where my various coal substitute materials do a better job easier.

The mixing of sizes are much more in control than trying to make several different sizes of
crushed real coal. Here representing the small coal and dust that sinks to the bottom as a wagon
is manually shovel unloaded. This wagon for the coal sidings not for running !!

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:29 pm

My diminishing wagon construction has me currently making up
a Parkside MR/LMS/BR duckett-less goods brake van, kit No.58.

The instructions can be a little vague and the shape of running board
supports differ from those shown in the illustration. Nothing too untoward.
One frustration is these Brake vans have several grab rails to add from
wire. They provide two lengths that amounts to 300 mm, the straight
lengths need 290 mm, but at each end you need a folded over end to fix
in the small locating holes giving a requirement of around 338 mm !!

Currently started painting grey for BR unfitted ......

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:31 pm

Way back in December on page 51 - yes it was that far back !!
I was building a Parkside kit of a conflat 'A' with FM container. The problem at the time was the lack of
suitable decals, Modelmaster were the only source of decals for these FM containers, but they had none
and were hoping to print some later, perhaps early 2018. I went ahead and finished the Conflat 'A' wagon
from existing decal stocks and waited ..................
I can't recall the exact date, but a decal sheet arrived and after further delay I put them on. Jim is usually
very good at proof reading his decals, but this one escaped him.

FM containers only carried 5 digit numbers, one of the options had 6 - oops. I decided to utilize by carefully cutting
away and re-positioning making 12603 B from the 126043 B

It deserves a little more brownish 'road' dirt weathering, but looking O.K. Now
I have a few more 'catch-up jobs to post now they're NEARLY finished !!

Geoff T.

matto21

Postby matto21 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:20 pm

Nice work on the Parkside brakevan - I've been pondering one of these myself but don't know if I can justify it!

Whose transfers are you using for the Conflat?

Matt

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:32 pm

Hi Matt,

December 2017 was a long time ago !! Most were probably Fox, but I have a rather large
collection of decals and it was made up from what I could find.
The Modelmaster sheet for the PC46 kit has everything for both the conflat 'A' and
container, I think all for 13T marked wagons, I used a rare 11T marking, just one small
production run.

Now going back into time, January 2016, I made a LNER 21 Ton 'Loco' coal wagon, these
were cascaded into general BR coal usage. I decided to make a second from one in my
stock - this one done over the last 2 days. Still raw plastic, but a painting session due !!

Note the self adhesive car wheel balance weights 5 gram towards each end. I also added
a brake cross shaft to slightly stiffen up the braking mechanisms that looked slightly
vulnerable.

Those LMS brake vans are easy enough as long as you can cut windows very accurately, to
within 0.5 mm. The problems can arise with bending those hand rails. You get 2 lengths of wire
which is not quite enough, luckily I had some in stock. Bending to fit into your drilled holes is
probably the most difficult job.
Seen here after decals added and a light sooty wash. It really needs a 'road' dirt wash around the
solebars and lower body.

Geoff T.

Return to “The Workbench”