Dad-1 - Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

What are you up to on your workbench
Bufferstop

Re: Dad-1 Workbench - West Bay Wagon Works

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:44 am

Class distinction was everywhere on the GWR, even the cattle were split between first class and cattle class accommodation :roll:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:57 pm

It looks like my posting from yesterday afternoon has got 'lost' through the server problems.
As much as I can remember .....
West Bay Wagon Works doors opened again to low level business.
I made the Parkside Dundas kit PC27 of the 16 ton slope sided
16 ton mineral wagon. I didn't enjoy making it, not one of their best.

Final judgement will be how it looks when numbered and weathered.

What I have noticed is that the NEW prices on the Parkside Dundas website
show about a 15% price increase. If you wanted some now you may get away
with the old price claiming the prices as shown in Railway Modeller, March
edition.
I wonder how long before the Dapol kits go up from the current £5.40 charged
by Hatton's. If you want some during the next year it may be a good idea to
buy now !!

Me I'm slowing up ...... but any P.D at exhibitions at 'the right' price will be
snapped up.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:31 pm

I spotted comments about the rise in price of wheels and couplers in another thread, so I got an order off to top up my stocks, wheels in various types, couplers long and short and just in case some oval and round buffers. I'll be ploughing through those trays of dog eared card mounts and crumpled plastic bags from now on when I'm at exhibitions.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:59 pm

What with decorating, and trying to understand what's & why's of NRM computer problems, plus
preparing for some exhibitions it may look like I've not been doing much.

What I have done is almost finish a Parkside Dundas GWR banana van. I decided on late GWR
for this one and will do the second as BR. I'm amazed at the way the brown plastic colour
bleeds through when under a strong bright light. In natural daylight it looks a very dark grey.

The decals are a mixture, although mostly HMRS press-fix with the running number made up
from individual number decals, ouch it hurts my eyes !! Interestingly the HMRS disc markings
were white & not yellow, so I found some Fox transfers with yellow discs.

I liked this kit, but one niggle is always the hand brake levers on those with the DCIII brakes.
To get them right they need to be made from brass with 2 x 90 degree bends to bring the round top
outside the buffer beam. With straight plastic and stuck in close to the solebar there is no way they
could be used, they would be blocked by the buffer beam. I tend to stick mine in a partially on
location just clear of the buffer beam ......... Whatever I do I'm not happy. I've not looked, but
perhaps someone makes an etched brass fret ?

I need to over varnish & weather slightly before finished, but it runs well in a train so I think it'll
be O.K.

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:11 pm

Nice to see the Wagon Works back in production!

This kit makes a really nice wagon. I want a couple of BR bauxite Banana Vans and was looking at the Bachmann ready to run,
I think you have changed my mind Geoff, this looks ideal. With the added bonus "they are kits" and I'll have to build them.

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:54 pm

Jim, join the wagon kit building revolution.

Geoff, that looks like another top quality build. As for that brake lever, I hadn't a clue what you were referring to! :shock: With little knowledge of the prototype I wouldn't know what to/not to look out for. My general ignorance is something I should try and correct.

Paul

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:25 pm

Hi Paul .......

They say ignorance is bliss ...... In today's case ignorance is Blast !!
All the earlier GWR Fruit 'B' to diagram Y4 had a large white circles, these became smaller yellow ones
by BR times. Now if only I'd done my own research instead of believing the Parkside Dundas instructions
I would have fitted large white circles for which the HMRS decal sheet provides 2.

So question - Do I finish the second banana van in Bauxite as BR with another small yellow circle. OR
do I make the second one as earlier GWR with those large white circles ?? I suppose I could always do
a third one ..........

Either option is covered by decals I already have.

Jim they do make up into nice vans, no real wrinkles to sort out. Well, other than getting decals, but apart
from cost availability is not a problem.

Here are the two .... second one not far behind.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:40 pm

No answers to my request and with van 2 ready for painting I must decide.
IF I can find a 'Return to Avonmouth' decal on that HMRS decal sheet I shall
go for an earlier GWR set of markings rather than BR bauxite.
I still would like a BR version ........ nothing wrong with having another is there !!

Off tomorrow morning early, for day 1 of the Wessex exhibition at Sherborne. I
wonder if anyone will be selling P.D kits ..... Bet not one of these !! If the price
is right I could come back with anything.

Geoff T.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:03 pm

I think the answer is clearly, have all 3 lol. It gives us more to read and you more to build, as you say, it's just getting another kit as the decals are already there.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Too true nickbrad,

Only 1 more kit ?
Nothing for sale over the weekend for me to buy. Apart from being 'locked out' due to site server problems
I really wouldn't have had time to do more. The two day show with total mileage back & forth of 140 miles
took all of the weekend. A Thomas overload, funny one of out 'good' children drivers was only 3 years old.
Thought I'd add this as a typical weekend scene for me !!

This evening that second GWR Banana van will become dark grey, but yes there will be a third to follow.

Geoff T.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:05 pm

Still not ordered that third GWR Banana Van, but will soon. To make the P&P worthwhile I'll
be ordering up to 5 more wagons. Perhaps I'll explain that later.

What I did was butcher my Lima Horsebox, still probably the basis of the Hornby one, but not having
examined one of them I can't be certain what updates may have been included in the recent release.
The original was not dire, but the large coupling didn't work well with my Bachmann small tension lock
standard, giving unreliable running.
Saw out, cut off the mountings, replaced with P.D mounting blocks with Bachmann NEM pockets & small
tension lock couplings. I noted there were no hooks, while I don't dangle 3 links I fancied hooks. I have
some Lanarkshire Models white metal hooks that neatly fit into 1(+)? mm holes I drilled.
Last evening at club it ran faultlessly behind the loco with another 27 wagons behind it - success !! Now
I must check on those roof vents, I know Lima put on too many, but what I need to remove needs checking
out, don't want to get it wrong.

Now a nice little runner, boy those wheels have 'BIG' flanges, but in use not seen.

The second banana van was gloss varnished and tonight may be decalled ........

Geoff T.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:56 pm

I don't really understand where these rumors of the Hornby GWR horsebox coming from the Lima model come from. When the Hornby model was released it was made quite clear that it was all new and having an example of the new model I can say that the detail is far superior to the Lima model. Anyway Geoff, it's amazing what a difference a small coupling makes and I look forward to seeing the rest of your improvements.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi Skyblue,

I don't obtain much Hornby rolling stock so wouldn't know, but I fear Hornby have over the years
re-released so many old, legacy models in different guises that one becomes highly suspicious when
anything that was once in their range is floated as a new model.

Here we have 2 different schemes of GWR banana van. Both will need over varnishing and weathering,
but first I must allow at least 24 hours for the decals to fully dry out. Sadly I couldn't find a "Return to
Avonmouth" decal on the HMRS sheet. The Banana text on the old paint scheme is nominally like some
title on earlier vans, but this is from a BR period set of decals.

This kit has few difficult build areas. The end to side joins fit a treat as does the roof and some elastic
bands help in getting a tight box. I have 5 grams in the box over each axle to give a little more stability.
The only place a little deviation comes is when mounting some plasticard on 2.5 mm square section supports
that act as the base for coupling mounting blocks. These mean that the handbrake inner support needs some
trimming otherwise it fouls the coupling mounting and stands too high.

I'm still trying to get my head around all the GWR door types and end designs. I'm going to order a couple of
Parkside Dundas 10 ton vans where the doors are similar to these, the Ratio 12 ton GWR van kit had plain
planking with no diagonal. It seems the only model vans, inc RTR with diagonals are P.D kits.

Geoff T.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:35 pm

The Llima roof vents are what you get if you give the tool maker side and end elevations but no plan. You need a picture of the roof on the new Hornby one, then you'll know which ones to remove.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:34 pm

Hi Bufferstop,

I have severe doubts that the current Hornby Midland version is incorrect for GWR.
The only on-line prototype picture throws doubt on it. I fear I shall go my own way
right, or wrong, but paying lip-service to the current Hornby model.
The Hornby model seems to only have 3 roof locations as to the 4 of those original
Lima drawings and actual moulding.
My current thoughts are starting at horse end, 1 central end shell vent, just before halfway
2 shell vents, both more or less matching the Hornby. Starting at grooms end, 1 central
taller lamp vent, then just before the dividing bulkhead 2 shell vents in line with the two
in the horse section.
Viewed from the side it would give 4 vent locations along the roof, viewed from the end
there would be 3 locations visible over the curvature of the roof. (As per Lima drawings?)

Anybody that can point me to clear prototype pictures would be my friend for life !!
But be quick the scalpel comes out on Friday (Grandson's birthday tomorrow)

Geoff T.

Return to “The Workbench”