Gibson's workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
skyblue

Re: Gibson's workbench

Postby skyblue » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:45 pm

Sounds like you had a good (shopping) time at Warley - did you get a chance to look at any layouts? Are the 6 wheelers you refer to the Thomas the Tank/Emily coaches? I look forward to seeing what you do with them,

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:58 pm

skyblue wrote:Sounds like you had a good (shopping) time at Warley - did you get a chance to look at any layouts? Are the 6 wheelers you refer to the Thomas the Tank/Emily coaches? I look forward to seeing what you do with them,

Yes, I did thanks, my wallet took a rather large pounding, barely scraped £7 change from the total spendings today! Yes the six wheelers are the Bachmann Thomas and Friends Emily ones. I might attempt to paint the solebars, bufferbeams and stocks teak this time round, and if they look good enough, I'll impliment that onto the other two six wheelers already completed!

Tonights progress on modelling saw the completion of the Commonwealth bogies being added to the Baggage cars chassis. The dog teeth clips were removed from the tops, and two M4 bolts put in their place. Multiple washers were used to get the bogies to not foul the chassis underside, and height check was done with 12 wheeler Car 97. Now comes the tedious task of repriming the body shell having had to remove the base coat of brown, the finish of which was something to be desired...

Till next time!

Nathan
Southern by location, Eastern by heart

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:52 pm

That looks like a fantastic piece of rolling stock to be slowly rotting away in a siding, almost a shame to, erm, ruin it :lol:
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:29 am

flying scotsman123 wrote:That looks like a fantastic piece of rolling stock to be slowly rotting away in a siding, almost a shame to, erm, ruin it :lol:

Yes quite so! It only looks like this because of the paint stripper I used - Expo modellers paint stripper. It makes the paint go gooey, and then is a pain to remove with anything, especially where the details are concerned!

Nathan!

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:43 pm

Evening chaps and chappettes!

And so begins another round of painting coaches teak! Today, I started on the third six wheeler, which will become a full third, if I have enough transfers to do so! This one has had a base coat of Humbroll Acrylic 103 Cream, topped off with Phoenix Precision P60, GNR/ LNER teak, which gives a much nice lighter finish compared to the other two, which were done with Teak Base, and Golden Teak, and subsequently given a coat of teak varnish too! The last coach of this four coach set, will be a brake third, however it at this stage requires a pair of Ratio guards duckets to be almost forced into place - due to their curved nature against the coaches straight sided body...

Coach No.3 about 80% completed, just requires transfers and the roof going over again!

Over view of all four coaches - the brake coach being just a chassis at the moment!

Also in for a paint job is a Hornby clerestory brake coach, which will most probably become the final coach in my suburban set, only because it'll end up looking out of place with the other three clerestory coaches.... It's had two viewing windows cut into the back end, a partition put up between the luggage area and back compartment, and also whitemetal buffers fitted. ~ Pics soon when the paint's dried ;)

Till next time!

Nathan!!!

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Evening chaps and chappettes!

Another update from me!

Today, I won this little beauty on Ebay for a nice sum of £32. It is a scratch built body running on an Airfix 14XX chassis, with a scratch built tender behind it. The finish appears to be something to be desired, but with a bit of work, it should eventually look good! It is a GNR E1 2-4-0 No.1069. My aim, if it arrives before christmas, will be to run it with the six wheel coaches - which are finished as GNR/ ECJS stock.

Till next time!

Nathan..

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:19 pm

Good evening all!

I've been quite busy over the past few weeks working on ongoing projects, amongst work too...

Firstly, a simple engine repaint and slight mod from a Bachmann Bill/ Ben model to a almost realistic saddle tank engine. The decision to put it into Kahki was that of an odd spur-of-the-moment one, but I think it paid off in all honesty! The decision to give it LNER lettering and numbering was down to what I had on me transfer wise, and also down to the smokebox door used - a TT gauge Green Arrow one. The oversized couplings were replaced for the slim NEM type ones, and new buffers were fitted - old Tri-ang ones from a spares box. The engine has subesequently been named Welsh Guard, ofwhich my Grandad served under them during the Falklands, so it's almost a tribute in some cases...

Next up, are the last two six wheelers from my Bachmann Emily repaints. The first of the two to be completed was a 1st class saloon, No.103.

The second, was a Brake Composite, No.89. The Duckets are Ratio ones with the tops trimmed, and the bottom curved section completely removed.

And so that leads me to this last photo of all four six wheel coaches in formation. (From R-L: Full Third No.76, Composite No.77, 1st Saloon 103, and Brake Composite No.89)

Till next time folks!

Nathan!

markh

Postby markh » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:09 am

loving the 6 wheel coaches, al have to hunt for some for a upcomiong layout of the NSR as they had simialar coaches

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:48 pm

Hi all! Been a while!!!

I've been very busy since the last post! Including building another kirk kit, revisiting an old kit I did last year - an LNER horsebox, and also a new lner kit, and some wagon repaints! Amongst other things!!

I'll start off with the Kirk kit! This was purchased unbuilt from an antiques shop in Whitstable at the start of January. It lay sprawled out across my desk for about three months before I actually decided to start it! The kit in question was a Gresley Buffet car, but as I already have two in my pre and post war rakes, I didn't see the need for a third! The decision was made to make it into an unclassified family saloon, so it was built up in the normal manner, and instead of a buffet bar being added, tables and benches were put in instead. A cupboard store/ toilet was fitted on what would have been the pantry corner of the coach. The coach was finished off in teak, as 3871. An endboard was attached to one end of the coach - which will be the leading coach in my pre war set now. The finished article is pictured below.

Ally Pally purchase time!

I was originally on the look out for just parts for scratch/ kit build engines, so purchased a few items from Dean Sidings - buffers, chimney, steps and brass safety valve bonnet... I then saw some Hornby teaks for sale at £30 a piece, so purchased a BCK for my pre war set, rendering my kirk BFK that is unfinished, surplus. Rumaging around the stalls, I managed to pick up a Bachmann manor, 7822 Foxcote Manor, a sort of favourite of mine (says the hardcore LNER and SR fan!!!), and also a bodyshell for a Hornby Merchant Navy, in this instance, 35028 Clan Line. I also purchased a fully built, painted and detailed Chivers Finelines LNER Pigeon van for £25, and also Bachmann's Express Dairies egg van!

Kit revisits!

Having purchased some Humbrol rust paint from Trains4u in Peterborough, I set about repainting the solebars of various coaches, including my bachmann 6 wheelers, and ratio ex LNWR third. I also decided to repaint my Parkside Dundas LNER Horsebox from the garish teak it was in late last year - wrong base coat and too much teak varnish caused it to look very dark! The van had it's roof removed - which was also drilled out for the vents to be fitted, and the glazing and weights removed too. The bodysides were given a generous coat of Humbrol cream, and due to it being a favourite of mine, the van was painted into varnished teak, which looks very nice on it! the solebars were finished in rust, the ends in black, and the wheels in rust with white lining around the edges.

More Repaints and kits!!!

Earlier today, I stumbled across two of the elcheapo wagons from the Your Model Railway Village collection. Having acquired some LNER goods vehicle transfers yesterday, I decided to put them to use, so repainted the two wagons into LNER Freight Grey. The first was finished as an M&GN 9 ton 5plank wagon, and the second as a CL 8 ton 5 Plank wagon. I then found a disused Hornby railroad LNER van body which I had attacked heavily with paint for testing purposes. This too was repainted into the Freight Grey, and finished as an M&GN fruit van. Yesterday I popped into the model center in Alton, and purchased a Parkside Dundas LNER Standard Cattle Truck. This was built almost instantly when I got home, and has been finished in LNER Red Oxide.

Cheshire Lines 8 ton five plank open wagon No.90

Midland & Great Northern 9 ton 5 plank open wagon No.8

Midland & Great Northern 20 ton fruit van No.12

Till next time folks!!

Nathan....

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:10 am

The wagons look really smart and neatly painted. I like the Gresley teak too.

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:23 pm

Evening all!

A bit of progress on the Edward Conversion, which I haven't actually posted on here yet......

After attempting to fabricate a GNResque cab and roof using the original cab sides and front - which failed miserably - I took it upon myself to do a new one from scratch, sacrificing the rear mounting brackets for the chassis - cab in the process. The new front was cut to shape, with the gap to allow the motor to sit correctly - it sticks out into the cab quite a bit... The new sides were then cut to shape, and cemented in place just behind the front plate. Then for the fun part, the roof... Using the same style plasticard that was used on the first trial cab, thicker off cuts of plasticard were used to support the new roof in place, and also to give the cab a more sturdy finish.

The extended splashers, as per the GNR E1, and others (I think) were created using a short piece of plasticard on the side to cover the old dummy splasher (short stumpy black one infront of the cab) and a thin but longer piece cemented to the top of the front splasher and the front of the cab. A lot of filler was used for this, and the left hand side ( as of posting) is still awaiting filing down to the right width.

The new chimney was sought from a box of lego Technic parts, and wedged onto the top of the smokebox with some filler in the middle to help support it. filler has now been applied around the base to form the flanged part of the chimney. A replacement smokebox door was found - off of one of the 3mm scale plinthed models, in this instance, an LBSCR Baltic tank, and a small piece of plasticard glued to the original moulded lamp iron, to form a new one. the old lamp irons were also removed, and thin pieces of plasticard, similar to the first one, were cemented into the holes. Clack valves were added to the boiler, and a steam heat pipe to the buffer beam, which now has sprung buffers added. The dome also has been changed to the more fat and stumpy one from the terrier detail bag. The next stage is to remove the moulded hand rails from the boiler sides, and drill out holes for new ones, most likely the standard Hornby ones...

New cab, splashers, smokebox door, etc fitted

Hopefully by the next update, the new tender will have arrived, and the body shell completed!

Till next time folks!

Nathan...

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Sat May 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Afternoon all!

The Edward conversion has now been completed, and the model is currently at a friends layout being "run in" on their line. Once it returns, it shall be varnished.

Inspired by Simierski's railroad gresley conversion into a set of Twinarts, I thought I'd give it a shot too! Here's the start of my pair, using an old body and chassis that were used as test beds for other projects, and one of the bogies from it (middle one) fitted with bachmann wheels. the mid sections on the coachset will be plasticarded over, and a gangway section fitted inbetween. The end that features the used bodyshell will have a new interior fitted as I butchered the original one, and new glazing, the original too has suffered damage.

As you can see, a fair bit of work will need to be done to get the "Arts" running and looking presentable (teaking will be done after all mods needed have been completed) but they should make a nice addition to my Gresley coach collection that's continually growing!

Till next time!

Nathan..

73082gibbers

Re: Gibson's workbench - WD75105 Walkden

Postby 73082gibbers » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:29 pm

Evening all!

Small bit of progress on one of my current projects - WD75105 Walkden... The model started life as WD145 Warrington, with a stoker chimney in a gahstly plastic dark green. The body was repainted in olive green - the closest I have to what the real one is painted in. A new chimney was sought, along with brass injectors to replace the old moulded ones. The cab had a sprucing up with a crew being fitted, as well as the raised section for the driver. A lubricator was added to the LH side of the running plate, and a holder for the Fire Iron, Dart and Slice was added to the RH side. Nameplates and Works plates were acquired from Narrow Planet. I would like to add a new whistle to it, but can't find anything suitable as the real one has an SAR chime. whole engine is now complete as far as I can do currently. The wheels and rods are now painted, and the bufferbeams have had a going over. The next stage will be to acquire the transfers. Anyone know of anywhere that sells War Department ones???

Till next time!

Nathan...

73082gibbers

Re: Gibson's workbench MK2E RFO

Postby 73082gibbers » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:03 pm

I do believe I've left it too long posting on here... Just over a year infact...

Skipping everything I've done in the past year, as I'll be here for ages going through it all, I'll go straight onto my current project.

I'm in the process of putting together a loco hauled set for my class 73 73202 Graham Stenning. The formation of which was originally: 73202, BSO, TSO, TSO(w/ small buffet), DBSO. I've since decided to redo the formation to 73202, TSO, RFO, TSO, DBSO. The BSO (conversion into a BSO is being done by a mate who's purchased a DBSO cab end), and one of the TSO's are with my mate, the other TSO, and the FO are with me. the TSO's don't require any work being done to them, except repainting. The couplings on the entire set, and on one end of the 73 are being swapped out with Bachmann 36-055 DMU couplings Straight, to give them a more close coupled look, and to retain them as a whole set when in use.

To start with, I've begun with the RFO conversion before any priming or repainting takes place. To begin, the glazing was removed from both sides of the coach body. During removal, the glazing around the section I'm modifying snapped off, and cracked in half. Thankfully however, I don't need this section, apart from a small section for the door window. Next, I scraped awat the moulding from around the toilet window, and the first two windows of the saloon. The inside of these three windows then had small scraps of plasticard cemented in place, as seen in the picture below. I decided to mask off the areas which weren't going to be modified, as I am very cackhanded.

Filler was applied to the three recesses yesterday, and these were given time to set. All three filled areas were then rubbed down with some emery cloth, showing that there is a small amount of filling still needed to be done. As I need some, I've now got some Halfords plastic filler primer on it's way to me at some point today, so if the weather holds off, the body shall recieve a coat of this, only on the area needing doing however. The image below shows where needs attention with more filler, primarilly the toilet window, and first saloon window. There are a few small sections on the second window that need doing over slightly, however these should eventually cease to show after a few coats of filler primer.

Till next time - hopefully not this time next year however!!!!

Nathan

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Looks like a good project. You'll never manage to do a complete filling in one go, much better to do 2 or even 3 passes and sand down, it's amazing how much paint doesn't hide!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Return to “The Workbench”