Gibson's workbench

What are you up to on your workbench
73082gibbers

Re: Gibson's workbench

Postby 73082gibbers » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:39 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:Looks like a good project. You'll never manage to do a complete filling in one go, much better to do 2 or even 3 passes and sand down, it's amazing how much paint doesn't hide!

Cheers for the advice!

The slow yet steady progress of the conversion is going well, the original windows are almost completely unnoticeable, a (hopefully the last) further application of filler has been applied, along with, throughout the process, Halfords filler primer. Hopefully I'll be able to properly prime the body in the coming week!

The above photo doesn't show the most recent work done to the body, however it shows the progress made from day one of this venture. a bit more sanding down on the current application, and another blast of filler primer, and it should be there hopefully!

Till next time,

Nathan..
Southern by location, Eastern by heart

73082gibbers

Re: Gibson's workbench OO9 Shinanigans

Postby 73082gibbers » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:36 pm

Hi all!

I've recently got the OO9 bug, and, having visited the FR/WHR over the past two days, I left yesterday with three of the Parkside Dundas kits from the shop at Porthmadog. I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to 'teak' these, and finish the loco that I've got in GER blue, with the setup for an eventual layout having a OO station connected to the OO9 platform, with a heavy LNER/ Great Eastern vibe. The first coach to be completed out of the three was a freelance four wheel two compartment 3rd. The other two kits, are a freelance two compartment planked coach (likely to be finished as a 3rd too) and a Vintage passenger brake van. These three, along with two 3D printed vehicles from shapeways will form the main running set for the layout.

Hopefully some more progress will appear before the weekend is over!

Nathan...

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:16 pm

Looks good, did you make any more progress with the kits?

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:15 pm

nickbrad wrote:Looks good, did you make any more progress with the kits?

Hi Nick, yes I did, managed to build up the remaining two kits, and also picked up on Saturday in Carlisle, a GEM Tallylyn Douglas kit, fully built and painted for £15! Only faults with it were that the chimney and roof had fallen off, and the loco only runs in forwards, which isn't a massive problem for me currently as I'd only be running it in forwards for the time being!

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:55 pm

Hi all!

So this evening unfortunately saw me assisting my friend rip up his layout, The West Sussex Railway, as he is moving to the West country in a few weeks. Whilst there I was able to run a few things, including my newest arrival, SECR Terrier 751, and two of the new Ex LSWR Maunsell rebuilt coaches. I also was able to check over a project of ours from a few years ago, a Dean Sidings resin SE&CR P class body kit. Due to how the chassis had been butchered for the contacts to be reattached for the back drivers, the worm gear and drive gears are visible, and thus every so often require lubricating. Having not been run in almost a year, I decided to lubricate the gears, and give it a test run, with a Bachmann LB&SCR E4, B473, acting as an insurance loco incase it stopped during the runs. I've now taken the loco back with me to have some detailing work done to it. This will include the fitment of vacuum pipes, steam heat pipes, and if I can source it, SR lining.

Some photos from the running sessions.

The last image, of L1 1782, is a combination of the original Tri-Ang model, a Bachmann N class tender, etched lamp irons, and the pony wheels from a B12. The only work I need to do on this to get it running better, is to either reduce the flange on the driving wheels, or source a new chassis with a better motor, pickups and driving wheels. This should all keep me very busy, including the 009 projects, till at least the new year... Then, hopefully, back to LNER stuff!!

Till next time!!

Nathan....

73082gibbers

Postby 73082gibbers » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:12 pm

Having already purchased four of the Bachmann Thomas and Friends Red Branchline coaches (three standard, one brake) I decided to create a three coach set of four wheel coaches for use behind terriers.

I started by disassembling the coaches intended for the rake into their component parts (underframe, body, roof and glazing) and proceeded to apply a coat of Halfords Grey plastic primer to the coach bodies. During the drying process, I started to tackle the underframes/ chassis of the coaches, which were very basic to begin with.

To differentiate the brake coach from the composite and full third, I decided to fit step boards across the axleboxes on each corner of the coach. these were sourced from a spare kit sprue. Also fitted were white metal castings of SR coach underframe details (battery box, gas cylinder and brake cylinder, the latter not fitted until later in the project)

Once the other side of the chassis had the running boards fitted, the chassis was given a coat of Matt Black. After allowing the bodies to dry fully, the first applications of P84 SR Coach Green (dull) was painted onto the bodies.

Again, once dry, the second coat was applied, as well as a coat of Coach roof Grey to the roofs of all three coaches. A second coat of grey was applied to the roofs after the first had dried, and then all was fitted together. As a last minute decision, I decided to fit brake pipes to the coaches. The Brake third has had whitemetal spares fitted from what I recall was a Parkside Dundass 009 FR coach kit, and the Composite and Full Third, have had the spares from the two Ratio bogie coaches fitted. These will get painted up in black once I'm happy that they are secure to the chassis's. The next stage is transfers, which I shall be using HMRS Pressfix sheet 9. This also applies for the bogie coaches as well.

Out of all of the coaches in this small rake, the brake coach is by far the one I'm most impressed with. Not simply because of the enhancing of the underframe details, but because it genuinely looks the part now. I've had comments from friends I've shown stating that they wouldn't have been able to tell it was formerly a Thomas and Friends coach.

Having now also received a copy of R.J. Maycock and M.J.E. Reed's Isle of Wight Steam Passenger Rolling Stock book for referencing suitable numbering for the four wheelers and the bogie coaches. The four wheelers have been designated as Brake Third 3686, Full Third 1793, and Composite 5799. All three of these are from Set 495. A fourth coach will be added in the future, in the form of Ex North London Railway Full Third 49 (SR 2429).

Here is the fully completed article of 3686, complete with set 495 markings on the back of the guards compartment.

Here's to two more successful sessions of adding transfers for the remaining two coaches...

Nathan...

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:35 am

They look great, very impressive.

Return to “The Workbench”