Train Departure Announcement Generator

What are you up to on your workbench
hawksey

Train Departure Announcement Generator

Postby hawksey » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:05 pm

Been working on some new software for model railway train departure announcements and background sounds.
This is still a work in progress but does now contain all spoken announcements of all current 2300+ stations on the network, all inbuilt, no internet needed so ideal for exhibitions.
Idea is to hide small wired or bluetooth speakers under the station and/or village to play the output through. Very effective effect!

Also has a few background sounds, lots more to be added, and a real time chiming station/town hall/church clock that chimes the (real time) hours and every quarter hour.

Still a bit of graphics to tidy up and I think I'll need a few beta testers to check pronunciation of some stations...so if anyone fancies doing some testing?...get in touch.

Quick demo on youtube:

https://youtu.be/VFVxzAVa6gw

Screenshot:
bandicam 2020-11-21 14-18-29-297.jpg

Phil

Bufferstop

Re: Train Departure Announcement Generator

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:53 pm

Got to get your pronunciations right. The bloke who did them for New Street about twenty years ago pronounced Alvechurch as Alverchurch, and they've never put it right. It should be Alfchurch with a slightly harder f. Now even the local radio and TV midland news says it as flaming Alverchurch.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:31 pm

hawksey wrote:...Also has a few background sounds, lots more to be added, and a real time chiming station/town hall/church clock that chimes the (real time) hours and every quarter hour...

I would suggest making all the background sounds selectable. An example, at my home location, chiming clock bells, church bells etc are not permitted by local byelaw.
Bufferstop wrote:Got to get your pronunciations right. The bloke who did them for New Street about twenty years ago pronounced Alvechurch as Alverchurch, and they've never put it right. It should be Alfchurch with a slightly harder f. Now even the local radio and TV midland news says it as flaming Alverchurch.

It's within the acceptable range. You might have got anything from Elfchidge to Oolverchoorsh if you had a non-RP type on the job. Pronunciation has always drifted around, and over the past century the overwhelming influence has been the written form. Increasingly it's machine synthesised pronunciation that is an influence. Better get the local authority to revise the spelling to Alfchurch, or you may yet hear Alvesh urch... Our previous satnav managed 'Her Tingford Bewery', instead of the locally preferred mumble of Hart'nforberry. (Hertingfordbury)

hawksey

Postby hawksey » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:34 pm

All the background sound effects have their own play/stop and volume adjustment controls, and can be played together allowing you to 'layer' the soundscape.
You can get traffic noise with bird song, dog barking in the distance, rain/thunder and station announcements at the same time if you want.
They all fade in/out when started/stopped as well. The real time clock chimes can be turned on/off

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:12 pm

Bufferstop wrote: Got to get your pronunciations right. The bloke who did them for New Street about twenty years ago pronounced Alvechurch as Alverchurch, and they've never put it right.

Oh that's nothing, Bufferstop. Commuting in and out of London's Victoria, years ago now, I would hear departures being announced for exotic destinations such as 'Youallee' and ' Coolsenor'. A little careful thought revealed them to be nowhere more exciting than Ewel E(ast) and Coulsdon North. Then there was the announcer I always thought of as 'Dora Drone'...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:22 pm

If the announcers are live and working in shifts you get the variations day to day. It's when they fix it forever in the vocabulary of a synthesiser so that you just know what the next one will be that annoys. The best bit of recording I heard was when Manchester's Metrolink was about to open the line that went out via the Etihad Stadium, they got some of the players to record the announcements different trams having different voices I thought that was a clever use of the technology. If they tried to do similar in Birmingham we'd probably be stuck with Noddy Holder and Jasper Carrot.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

hawksey

Postby hawksey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:36 pm

Announcement Generator v1.0
A full demo is now available for download
Should be fine on any Windows 7 to 10

http://bit.ly/TAG_Setup

Instructions to follow soon, but have a play

One tip: Selection on the Station List can pasted into any slot by clicking the < on the right of the slot

Enjoy!

Phil

hawksey

Postby hawksey » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:51 pm

New YouTube demo here

https://youtu.be/o-U_OzrWvFU

Return to “The Workbench”