Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
User avatar
centenary
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Postby centenary » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:20 pm

Does anyone know, which manufacturer's sound chip Dapol are fitting to their sound enabled class 52s, 4D-003-013S and above?

They fit their 'Imperium' brand to DCC enabled but I dont see an Imperium sound enabled one so presume they use an ESU \ Loksound \ other?

Bigmet
Posts: 9117
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Postby Bigmet » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:46 am

Not a clue, but in your shoes I would contact retailers with the model(s) of interest in stock, for this information. It's a very reasonable enquiry from a potential customer. There's a secondary benefit in doing this, you stand to discover retailers that have not the remotest interest in what they sell, or a poor attitude to customer service.

User avatar
centenary
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Postby centenary » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:13 pm

Bigmet wrote:Not a clue, but in your shoes I would contact retailers with the model(s) of interest in stock, for this information. It's a very reasonable enquiry from a potential customer. There's a secondary benefit in doing this, you stand to discover retailers that have not the remotest interest in what they sell, or a poor attitude to customer service.


I like your style!

User avatar
Metadyneman
Posts: 1171
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:09 am
Location: Portslade-by-Sea East Sussex

Re: Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:27 am

I'm not entirely sure which decoder is in the 52, but Dapol have used Zimo decoders with "Mr. Soundguy" sound files in the past so I would perhaps speculate they may have done with the sound fitted Wizzos too!
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

trainlover23
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:28 am

Re: Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Postby trainlover23 » Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:40 pm

Bigmet wrote:Not a clue, but in your shoes I would contact retailers with the model(s) of interest in stock, for this information. It's a very reasonable enquiry from a potential customer. There's a secondary benefit in doing this, you stand to discover retailers that have not the remotest interest in what they sell, or a poor attitude to customer service.


Rather than slate retailers why not suggest ringing Dapol direct??, People don`t seem able to any thing themselves these days, all ways asking rather than looking for themselves

User avatar
Bufferstop
Posts: 13484
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: Bottom end of N. Warks line

Re: Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:04 pm

If you live or are travelling close to Dapol's Factory/shop go in and ask them. Although they aren't made there the staff, particularly those who work behind the door at the back, seem to be pretty clued up on everything. I bought a 14xx motorised chassis from the bargain bin and asked a question about the wheels. I was ushered through the door, got an impromptu guided tour and was introduced to the guy who did the mods to adapt it to the type 7 motor. Question answered, motor tested and chassis lubricated. I probably struck lucky, but they seemed a friendly lot, happy to meet a customer.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet
Posts: 9117
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Postby Bigmet » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:58 am

trainlover23 wrote:
Bigmet wrote:Not a clue, but in your shoes I would contact retailers with the model(s) of interest in stock, for this information. It's a very reasonable enquiry from a potential customer. There's a secondary benefit in doing this, you stand to discover retailers that have not the remotest interest in what they sell, or a poor attitude to customer service.


Rather than slate retailers why not suggest ringing Dapol direct??, People don`t seem able to any thing themselves these days, all ways asking rather than looking for themselves

Because a healthy retail trade is of great value, and discovering and making purchases from those that do this work well supports that. The retailer is Dapol's contractual customer, and should have access to their full support as a result of their trading agreement. I cannot see any objection to asking for information from the business that is supposed to have it available, let's find out! I don't want just any old retailer, I only want to deal with those that are efficient and effective.

If Dapol moved to direct sales only of their own product, then I would suggest calling them. But so long as they distribute through retailers as their primary mode of market engagement, it is the retailers that have to perform in the end customer facing role. I very much doubt that Dapol are staffed and equipped to handle the volume of calls that would come their way if all their end customers began calling direct.

trainlover23
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:28 am

Re: Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Postby trainlover23 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:38 pm

Bigmet wrote:
trainlover23 wrote:
Bigmet wrote:Not a clue, but in your shoes I would contact retailers with the model(s) of interest in stock, for this information. It's a very reasonable enquiry from a potential customer. There's a secondary benefit in doing this, you stand to discover retailers that have not the remotest interest in what they sell, or a poor attitude to customer service.


Rather than slate retailers why not suggest ringing Dapol direct??, People don`t seem able to any thing themselves these days, all ways asking rather than looking for themselves

Because a healthy retail trade is of great value, and discovering and making purchases from those that do this work well supports that. The retailer is Dapol's contractual customer, and should have access to their full support as a result of their trading agreement. I cannot see any objection to asking for information from the business that is supposed to have it available, let's find out! I don't want just any old retailer, I only want to deal with those that are efficient and effective.

If Dapol moved to direct sales only of their own product, then I would suggest calling them. But so long as they distribute through retailers as their primary mode of market engagement, it is the retailers that have to perform in the end customer facing role. I very much doubt that Dapol are staffed and equipped to handle the volume of calls that would come their way if all their end customers began calling direct.



A rather jaundiced view. I can`t imagine Dapol getting swamped with calls. If they are the manufacturer it is their interests to help people

User avatar
Bufferstop
Posts: 13484
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:06 pm
Location: Bottom end of N. Warks line

Re: Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:16 pm

They certainly aren't going to get swamped with passers by dropping in, unless you make a decision to go through Chirk not around it as the signs direct you, you will miss them completely. They moved out of the old mill in Llangollen because the visitors never came. "Their" car park was more useful as an overflow for the one at the LLangollen Railway.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

trainlover23
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:28 am

Re: Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Postby trainlover23 » Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:41 pm

centenary wrote:
Bigmet wrote:Not a clue, but in your shoes I would contact retailers with the model(s) of interest in stock, for this information. It's a very reasonable enquiry from a potential customer. There's a secondary benefit in doing this, you stand to discover retailers that have not the remotest interest in what they sell, or a poor attitude to customer service.


I like your style!



Style ???????????

Bigmet
Posts: 9117
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Postby Bigmet » Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:36 am

trainlover23 wrote:...A rather jaundiced view. I can`t imagine Dapol getting swamped with calls. If they are the manufacturer it is their interests to help people

Lack of imagination is a problem.

trainlover23
Posts: 391
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:28 am

Re: Class 52, Western Sound Chips?

Postby trainlover23 » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:21 am

Bigmet wrote:
trainlover23 wrote:...A rather jaundiced view. I can`t imagine Dapol getting swamped with calls. If they are the manufacturer it is their interests to help people

Lack of imagination is a problem.



What ?????????


Return to “Dapol”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest