Dismantling a 1438

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
bobby

Dismantling a 1438

Post by bobby »

Hello again,

I have 2 x 1438 Steam engines in BR Black.

Both are ceased up as they have not seen the light of day for a good few years. I have removed the body and all screws to be seen, but cannot remove the axel cover plate. Is there a link to a service sheet showing how I can achieve this.

Thanks in advance,

Bobby
Bigmet

Re: Dismantling a 1438

Post by Bigmet »

You will to supply some more clues Bobby. Dapol manufacture in N, OO and O. With the gauge and the manufacturer's catalogue number progress is possible. You could also look at Lendon's site, they maintain a pretty full compendium of what service sheets are available.
bobby

Post by bobby »

Hello again,
Regret Lendons don't have this sheet thus my plea for help with NRM. My 2 locos are Dapol ND1049-LN01. 14XX 0-4-2. 00 gauge, Tank. Hope this
allows correct ID and further help on how to get the axel plate off.
Thanks in advance.
Bobby
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Since it is OO you can look for the Airfix GMR or Hornby 14xx diagram, as this model was manufactured from the same tools in turn by Airfix GMR, Mainline, Dapol and now Hornby.

This is the Airfix jobbie. http://www.lendonsmodelshop.co.uk/pdf/A ... 20Tank.pdf HTH.
bobby

Post by bobby »

Hello and thanks for the link to the Service Sheet for my problem. I am still working on the problem but still cannot understand. It appears that there are only 2 screws holding the plate to the chassis, which I have removed but I am very reluctant to just "tug" or "Lever" it off. I will try again in the morning and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again,
Bobby
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Dapol provided the 14xx with a new chassis which all models of 1438 had so the Hornby service sheet not the Airfix one should be relevant
https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/serviceshe ... ad/id/131/
Looks like two screws to remove from the base plate and at a guess if it does not drop off it because its also clip fitted in place at either end. If you look at the main chassis block there are indented flats which presumably the plastic base plate clips into.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Mike Parkes wrote:Dapol provided the 14xx with a new chassis which all models of 1438 had so the Hornby service sheet not the Airfix one should be relevant...
Aha! You learn a new thing every day...
6C

Post by 6C »

Don't forget the possible phillips screw in the chimney - the Airfix one definitely had this arrangement
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
bobby

Post by bobby »

Hello,
Thanks for the help. Interesting on the Hornby Service sheet. I now have the two little "beggars" running. I actually used manipulation of the armature over a period of time and gradually they both came back to life. Took the armatures out and cleaned the inside of the motor thoroughly. Thanks again for your help.
Regards,
Bobby G.
Kindling

Post by Kindling »