DAPOL 121 BUBBLE CAR

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
mjb1961

DAPOL 121 BUBBLE CAR

Post by mjb1961 »

HI ,,,,ive just bought one of these and found out that I will need to fit a 5+ function MTC decoder to enable me to have full control over the different lighting sequences,,,,,what is MTC ,,I've never heard of it ,,I thought a sapphire decoder that I have would have been perfect but it isn't ,,I've tried it ,could anyone offer any advice ,it would be much appreciated,,,,,thanks mjb
Bigmet

Re: DAPOL 121 BUBBLE CAR

Post by Bigmet »

'MTC' is what is most usually referred to as a '21 pin' decoder. The current 21 pin Lenz Silver will do the job, and I would be surprised if there weren't Zimo decoders with sufficient function outputs too. I know the Lenz works as I have performed an installation for a friend.
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Hi Bigmet,,,,,,,,,thanks for your reply ,,,I found a zimo mx638d for £20 plus post from Youchoos ,,that's a 6function ,,,,,,mjb
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

The latest version of Bachmanns 21 pin decoder has 6 functions. For some completely illogical reason Bachmann did not amend the catalogue number so both the 4 function one and the 6 function are 36-557. The 6 function ones comes in a plastic packaging on a blue card while the 4 function come in a white box. Retailers seem to be completely confused - Model Railways Direct did confirm to me a few months back all of there stock , currently £17.56 + postage, were 6 function yet they still describe them as 4 function and you have to read down the specs on their web site to see that also 2 logic functions get mentioned
https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/B ... -Back-EMF/
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Thanks Mike ,,,I'll have a look ,,,,mjb
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

It should be noted that the current (blue pcb) Bachmann 36-557, 6 function decoder will work the front and rear directional lights and the individual cab lights but the interior lights will remain on constantly whilst the unit is on powered track. For some reason the interior lights will not switch off using this decoder.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Metadyneman wrote:It should be noted that the current (blue pcb) Bachmann 36-557, 6 function decoder will work the front and rear directional lights and the individual cab lights but the interior lights will remain on constantly whilst the unit is on powered track. For some reason the interior lights will not switch off using this decoder.
Hi Metadyneman,,,,after reading your post it has got me thinking that I should have bought dapols 6 function decoder,,,I bought the zimo 6 function ,,,the only functions I have are F0 ,directional lighting ,F1 ,cab lights at one end ,,F2 will not latch on so cab light at the other end will not stay on ,,F3,,nothing ,,,so no carriage lights ,,,
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

I'm not sure why but think you will find that the interior lights may work if you press F5. I'm not sure why you cannot get F2 to latch though. Most functions on decoders are set to latch by default. have you tried re-settng the decoder to default by changing CV8 to value 8?
I only found this out as The Kernow/Bachmann 4-TC unit also requires decoder with more than 4 functions and F5 turns the interior lights on and off.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Hi ,,,I'll investigate,,,,,let you know the out come ,,,mjb
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Hi again ,,,,I had a play but no difference,,,I've now removed the zimo decoder and replaced it with a simple HORNBY r8249 decoder via a 21 to 8 pin adapter,,,, Im running it with directional lights only so I might as well keep the zimo for something else ,,thanks for the idea anyway ,,,mjb