Dapol OO Gauge GWR Large Prairie & GWR Mogul.

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Re: Dapol OO Gauge GWR Large Prairie & GWR Mogul.

Post by Bigmet »

UrbanHermit wrote:...On the other hand, railway modelling is full of compromises...
And some. It still amuses that some 'deep end' over getting the make up of passenger trains right. So what about the freight trains then? For the majority of the existence of the UK railway these have been economically far more significant.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

UrbanHermit wrote:Thanks both, for the helpful replies. Helpful, that is, in totally opposite directions, one showing me how to change it and the other encouraging me to live with it. I'm now torn in two.

I've been doing some digging, and I have discovered that of the 638x series only two, 6381 and 6385, got outside steam pipes before WWII, leaving me with a choice of eight alternative identities available by changing just the last digit. Though the minefield doesn't end there. I'd feel the need to check whether my chosen engine had the long or the short safety-valve bonnet, another detail that's pretty obvious even to a casual glance.
Photos exist online of 6386 6388 and 6389 all with long safety valve bonnet
6386 - https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrwe2846.htm - no obvious tender lettering so could have the roundal which is often unclear in photos
6388 - https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p40417058 ... #hc9fbfd8a, dated as 1939 tender has full GW lettering
6389 - https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrw380.htm - angle unclear re tender
UrbanHermit

Post by UrbanHermit »

Thanks again for your time and trouble, but it's out of the frying pan...

That photo of 6388 (which might have been a good candidate, having been a Cardiff Canton engine pre-war) reminds me that engines on secondary duties didn't get repaints as often as the prestigious express types, and could be seen carrying superseded liveries for years after the change. Quite a few locos never got the shirtbutton at all. So it's a case of outside pipes PLUS long bonnet PLUS shirtbutton. PLUS what next?

I'm beginning to think that it would actually be easier to add the pipes, if I could find any. Dapol are selling a range of spares, like buffers, whistles, handrails, but not steampipes.

Easier still to leave it alone, of course...
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

UrbanHermit wrote:Quite a few locos never got the shirtbutton at all
Being on the tender their is always the possibility it had swopped tenders at some point; similarly boiler changes could result in a loco having different boiler fittings to previously.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

UrbanHermit wrote:...I'm beginning to think that it would actually be easier to add the pipes, if I could find any. Dapol are selling a range of spares, like buffers, whistles, handrails, but not steampipes...
How about DIY? Use plastic rod or a good thick sprue off a kit, then settle down to making lots of pieces 'cut and tried', until you produce the neatest possible fit.
6C

Post by 6C »

Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Actual production run DCC ready Dapol Large Prairies are in stock with retailers. First question, does it have a higher gear ratio than their Churchward mogul, for better low speed performance and a slower (more realistic) maximum speed?
UrbanHermit

Post by UrbanHermit »

I gather that Dapol are altering the gearing on the second production run of moguls, so the chances are pretty good that they've done the same on the prairie.

Though personally I don't see what the fuss is about. Further up this thread I expressed my satisfaction with the way my mogul runs, and I haven't changed my opinion. As long as it can be made to run at a slow crawl (and mine can), that's enough for me. The rate of acceleration from, and deceleration to, that slow crawl is down to the way it's driven.

No two of my locomotives perform exactly the same, and that doesn't bother me. i reflect that any steam engineman would tell you that no two real locos perform the same either, and adapt my driving style to whatever loco I'n running.

Though, having only a dozen or so locos rather than sixty, I don't find it too hard to remember their individual characteristics...
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

UrbanHermit wrote:...Though personally I don't see what the fuss is about. Further up this thread I expressed my satisfaction with the way my mogul runs, and I haven't changed my opinion. As long as it can be made to run at a slow crawl (and mine can), that's enough for me. The rate of acceleration from, and deceleration to, that slow crawl is down to the way it's driven...
Indeed so. One of the problems in trying to assess by user reports, is no knowledge of what those giving their opinion are using to operate the item of interest; and that's before we even consider sample variation in the product.

(Personally, I cure all control problems with the sledgehammer of DCC. Most recently to fully tame the Oxford Rail N7, which firstly goes way too fast on 12V, combined with all the examples I have seen to date having very non-linear speed curves.)