Dapol 1989 catalogue ex Airfix locos

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Ken Shabby

Dapol 1989 catalogue ex Airfix locos

Post by Ken Shabby »

I came back from a local charity shop today with a 1989 Dapol catalogue, which proved to be a cracking read and full of models I've never seen before.
Amongst these were the following ex Airfix locos in new liverys.
Fowler 4F in lined LMS black and also LMS crimson.
Class 31 in 3 different Railfreight liverys .
Did they ever make it into production ?

Ken
mossdp

Re: Dapol 1989 catalogue ex Airfix locos

Post by mossdp »

The 4Fs did not make it to production. Dapol sold Airfix plain back LMS or BR 4Fs that were surplus Airfix stock they had taken over. They sold quite of lot of Airfix and Mainline locos like this. Some surplus stock locos were boxed in maroon Dapol boxes but many of these locos were those produced by Airfix or Mainline. Dapol did however make their own versions of some other locos as well as selling off surplus Airfix or Mainline stocks at the same time. Many models received a Dapol catalogue number even if not produced by them. The Railfreight class 31 is more of a mystery. I do not think it was produced, although occasionally nicely done Railfreight ones do turn up on ebay but I think these are all one off repaints - there were quite a few companies offering professional repaints. The reason I say it is more of a mystery is because a Dapol Railfreight class 31 was reviewed in Rail Magazine circa 1985-1986. However, I believe this was just a prototype and the model was not put into production. I would have bought one had it been.
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

89 was the year I packed in model railways, I remember the Pug and J94 coming out a few years earlier, but i was completely unaware of the Terrier until I got back into the hobby in 2008.
The catalogue also has reissues of many of old Triang real estate/ model land buildings , and they've reused the old original artwork from the sixties Triang catalogues.

Ken
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

A number of the ex Triang Buildings were produced. The 4F was also going to appear in SDJ Blue but was never produced as such by Dapol. I wonder if these additional liveries on 4Fs and 31s were not going to be actually new produced models but resprays of extant models. Airfix did such a thing with the BR van which led to a stack of fictitious liveries appearing on them.