Dapol Wheels and replacement

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
End2end

Dapol Wheels and replacement

Postby End2end » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:24 pm

I have just recieved another Dapol wagon circa 2005 and the wheels are really rough at what I can only describe as the tip/lip of the flange?? like they have not been moulded properly yet it was listed as new. It's not the travelling edge of the wheel that sits on the track.
Is this a common occurance on Dapol wheels or should I be talking with the seller about them not being as they should be as the wagon cost nearly £40?

If this IS a common occurance can I simply replace the wheelset with a Bachmann wheelset?
Oddly the wagons axles seem to have a black "collar" across most of the middle part.
I can take a photo of them if needs be.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Re: Dapol Wheels and replacement

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:53 pm

It was a common problem at one stage, but more so with Hornby. Just swap them with a replacement set. Presumably it's the rarity factor that pushed the price up. You could clean up the rough edges of the wheels with a Swiss file, the flange depth isn't that critical. Dapol axles are a different length to Hornby and Bachmann, just in case you already have some spares.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:19 am

No sadly I don't have any spare Dapol wheelsets only Hornby. :( I Don't know why I said Bachmann wheelsets earlier. I have spare Bachmann COUPLINGS and spare Hornby spoked wheelsets. Doing too many things at once like usual. :lol:
Are they available as spares and does anyone know the catalogue number for them by any chance?
It's a limited edition Helston Gas Company wagon comissioned by Kernow so the price skyrocketed.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

6C

Postby 6C » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:31 am

The current Hornby spare metal wheelsets - R8096 R8098 etc. slot right in under Dapol wagons - no trouble at all.

Depends what you want 3-hole disc, plain disc etc.

HTH

PS Dapol themselves have recently began to market their own spare metal wheelsets too.
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:34 am

6C wrote:The current Hornby spare metal wheelsets - R8096 R8098 etc. slot right in under Dapol wagons - no trouble at all.

Brilliant! Thanks 6C. I have R8098's and they work a treat. :)
I also managed to get the plastic fake coal load out at the same time so I can make a proper load for it.
Next on the list is how to change dapol couplings for bachmann ones??? I have no idea. :?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Return to “Dapol”