Class 59 Diesel with "all bells and whistles"??

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
retiredoperator

Class 59 Diesel with "all bells and whistles"??

Post by retiredoperator »

Hi Modellers When after 40 odd years I returned to model railways, I took the Bull by the Horns and went for D C C, which was not so straight forward, but, I do like to hear the locos trundling (or thundering) by.
But now we have a new Kid on the Block from Dapol, Class 59 with not only sound, but, Diesel Smoke as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, as I have only seen it on "Youtube", I always thought that Diesel fumes were BLUE, white is okay for steam locos, but really! happy modelling Kev
Bigmet

Re: Class 59 Diesel with "all bells and whistles"??

Post by Bigmet »

You really don't want blue haze, any more than steam fans want grey smoke. Both indicate the presence of particulates - mostly carbon plus added muck - the very stuff that first VW and now other manufacturers are being asked searching questions about!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I thought the emissions from diesel locos was thick black and impenetrable, should always be emited vertically under great pressure, and referred to as clag. Having just spent a weekend being pulled around Scotland by two DRS class 37s I was most disappointed that their new owners maintain their engines too well to get clouds of the black stuff. At least they still did sound like tractors.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
retiredoperator

Post by retiredoperator »

Hi Bigmet and Bufferstop That may be a good point re Volkswagen. And the "Throaty Sound" of a good Diesel does take a lot of beating??
Oh and I forgot another point, always being ambitious?? I also noticed that the smoke was more like the smoke of a cigarette sitting in an ashtray,
rather than just a loco with a heavy load on an incline, really working its "whatsits off". happy modelling Kev
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I just onsold a Roco starter set digital BR80 loco that comes standard with a Seuthe smoke generator. While I did not test my locomotive a video online shows that Seuthe really know how to get great plumes of smoke from the little Roco product.
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

After a while the smell of the smoke will become rather overpowering. You cannot scale down smoke, water and to some extent sound
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

You don't want blue smoke in a diesel, that indicates that oil is being burned, and you most definitely don't want white! that's coolant finding its way into the combustion chambers. Poorly combusted diesel produces soot which is black. If a diesel is set up right there shouldn't be much smoke at all.