Super Specification Streak Gresley A4

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigglesof266

Re: Super Specification Streak Gresley A4

Postby Bigglesof266 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Bigmet wrote:lifts £400 out of your wallet.

This garnered my attention. UK economy must be doing better than GREAT!

I was gobsmacked by Hornby's recent marketing of their A4s in two distinct attractive mutiple loco item 'collectable' packages, neither exactly an everyday spend. Signals that there must be an existing market prepared to spend that kind of money on uniquely presented items. Wow!

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:22 am

Keiron,
it is odd that the silver A4 collection from Hornby is actually for sale in Australia for over $100.00 less than the best UK (ex-VAT) price. Hornby is simply badge engineering, flogging off the same old tooling in a different colour. Must be time for another gathering or goodbye collection. I get that deja vu feeling that we have been there before. Says a lot for the gullibility of the collector market.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:51 am

slipalong wrote:Thought long and hard about the new Dapol A4, have decided to register for one. For what you get I think the price isn't too bad ...

I - and doubtless others - will look forward to your report. Having some years ago acquired the Hornby A4s required for my BR period ECML scenario, and done the necessary work to improve the running gear and traction that's it for A4s. Dapol will have to go some to beat Hornby's rendition of the body shape. It has one major inaccuracy caused by the exigencies of mass production, the Dapol is exactly the same so no gain there.

Bigglesof266 wrote:
Bigmet wrote:lifts £400 out of your wallet.

This garnered my attention. UK economy must be doing better than GREAT!

It's a very mixed picture. The able and enterprising with the skill sets perfectly matched to the moment are doing very well indeed, the grafters are out there working hard and making a decent living; those who haven't yet realised that the world doesn't owe them a living, and they have to adapt, are not very happy.

Until six months ago I was a trustee landlord for a splendid couple from Oz, who were here for six years 'rebuilding their fortune' (their words) after a property loss in Australia. The pair of them had a great time, made a pile of cash to buy a new property and retire on: and were first class tenants too who even found us the next tenants for the property so we had practically no loss of rental income for the charity! 'Can-do' thrives...

Return to “Dapol”