Super Specification Streak Gresley A4

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Super Specification Streak Gresley A4

Postby Bigmet » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:34 pm

Now there's a surprise that I don't believe anyone saw coming, Dapol have announced a very full fat model of the A4 in OO. Exhales smoke, makes noises, lifts £400 out of your wallet.

skyblue

Re: Super Specification Streak Gresley A4

Postby skyblue » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:54 pm

Wow! I'm not sure I can say any more than that. It's the price tag that amazes me as much as anything! I hope that price isn't a sign of the times to come in OO gauge.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:10 am

:shock: :shock:
Pete.

VerdevaleRailway

Postby VerdevaleRailway » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:51 am

Will it make me a coffee in the morning...?
'whose origin was a terminus'

SRman

Postby SRman » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:27 am

Bigmet wrote:Now there's a surprise that I don't believe anyone saw coming, Dapol have announced a very full fat model of the A4 in OO. Exhales smoke, makes noises, lifts £400 out of your wallet.

Is this a new way of measuring the pulling power of a model : how many dollar-pounds it can pull from a wallet?? :twisted: :twisted:

sir hayden

Postby sir hayden » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:22 am

Liking it so far and the price is reasonable for something like that. Hope they do some GWR locos next time, if these sell well.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:40 am

In developing a mechanism with all the features listed capable of fitting inside the OO bodyshell of an A4, I would hope that Dapol will have thought ahead to further exploitation. It's probable that at least a couple of further UK pacific design families should be able to take the same basic mechanism with small tweaks in dimensions to wheelbase and steam emitting positions. (Overlay the drawings and it is quickly apparent that once Doncaster had the pacific format right, all further successful designs follow on in general layout.)

Not so straightforward for a 4-6-0 type for which some 'rejigging' of the mechanism will be required. How small do the BLI and other HO maker's models offering this sort of feature set go? Does anyone know, because I suspect it will have been a squeeze to get the 'mechanism+ features' layout compact enough for the small UK prototype, and thus the choice of an A4 with that nice roomy streamlined shell and big box of a tender to work inside.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:59 pm

What are peoples thoughts on Hornby's A4? Bad enough to warrant another model to compete? Bachmann have pretty much abandoned theirs possibly due to it being so dated in comparison to Hornby's even though they upgraded its chassis a few years ago.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:28 pm

The current Hornby A4 body shell is a work of art, loco and tender both. There are errors: forced on it by the necessity for running on second radius, or consequent on it being in moulded plastic, and because of design error and compromise. But what it gets right in the way of general rendition of that very difficult shape makes it comfortably the best thing ever offered in affordable RTR 4mm, and the tenders cover all the major variations used behind A4s. You can have fun improving it here and there.

The loco mechanism not so good, could do with being brought up to current standards of appearance, the rods especially well behind the best on the market. This is an 11 year old tooling now, and there has been progress since. It's weak on traction, simply not enough ballast installed; but the drive line is good for a lot more weight as it has the same motor and gear parts as the much heavier Britannia. Again, worth putting in some work to improve.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:32 am

I received this morning a mint Hornby "Silver Fox" in LNER grey livery, circa-2005. This livery looks superb on the A4. A beautiful, super detailed model. One can never have enough A4 locomotives.

Hornby's latest 80th Anniversary A4 pack is though in my opinion gouging the market and stretching it for all its worth. Great Gathering, Great Goodbye. What is next a Great reunion Gathering and then a Great Reunion Goodbye pack? No credibility except for the glass cabinet crowd.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:53 am

I really dont like Hornby's modern rendition of the sliver A4s. Well its white not silver. In the late 80s and early 90s they did their then toytown A4 in a very nice fine silver, just like Bittern was painted in at the time. Bachmann's rendition of silver fox is even worse.....
Last edited by D605Eagle on Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

castlespitfire

Postby castlespitfire » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:25 pm

Well when I said it will not be long before it will cost £500 for descent tender loco on another site recently people laughed me in the face and the posting was even deleted by the mods.
Proof of the pudding is in the eating. If people are daft enough to pay the price then the manufacturers will charge it. I think they are just putting their toe in the water and testing the temperature.
John
It was working yesterday last time I used it................... John

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:46 pm

It's testing the water for an intermediate pricing point between current plastic bodied RTR and the full-on luxury job represented by an outfit like Golden Age. You can already pay over £1,000 for a RTR OO tender loco - if that's what you want to do - but I think there's enough of us about wanting to have the goods a little more economically, to keep the more modestly priced end of the market alive.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:47 am

D605Eagle wrote:I really dont like Hornby's modern rendition of the sliver A4s. Well its white not silver. In the late 80s and early 90s they did their then toytown A4 in a very nice fine silver, just like Bittern was painted in at the time. Bachmann's rendition of silver fox is even worse.....

I have a late 80's silver fox bought by my grandad, the only oo loco i kept when i changed to N, toytown or not it's still a lovely looking model and runs as well today as it did 25 years ago.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

slipalong

Postby slipalong » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:31 pm

Thought long and hard about the new Dapol A4, have decided to register for one. For what you get I think the price isn't too bad (two year parts & labour warranty included).Have to sell one of my Heljan Beyer-Garretts to part fund it. Cant say I'm too keen on either the Hornby or Bachmann A4s so hopefully this will be better and with syncro smoke, firebox glow & lights you cant really ask for much more. If it sells well (and it looks like it will) this could well be the future for those with deep pockets.

Return to “Dapol”