Tension Hooks falling off

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
retiredoperator

Tension Hooks falling off

Postby retiredoperator » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:58 am

Hi Modellers Earlier this year I bought some Dapol Wagons, while in the meantime they have been in there boxes, for the first time I took them out to look at them, but what did I find?? :cry:
some of the "Tension Hooks " had dropped off, is this usual?? and can anyone advise me?? happy modelling Kev

dubbleojon

Re: Tension Hooks falling off

Postby dubbleojon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:11 am

Sometimes the hooks do fall off, most of the time they just clip back on again.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:34 am

The small hooks can fool you into thinking that they have clipped on, when they are just sitting on top of the pivot. It's comforting to know that the assemblers at the factory can get it wrong too. Once I've got them on I try to shake them off, if there's any doubt about them remaining in place I pinch the open end of the clip with the corner of a square ended pair of tweezers once they are in place. Seems to work ok unless the hook is really fatigued, in which case I discard them and fit a new coupler.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

retiredoperator

Postby retiredoperator » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:06 pm

Hi Bufferstop I did try that, and it didn't take "A Whole Lot of Shaking" for them to fall off. I am keen on Neodymium Magnets, but , not "Kadee" couplers, so I would be grateful if you could recommend NEM pocket fitting couplings. Of course I'm working in OO, nothing against N or any other gauge for that matter. happy modelling Kev

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:19 pm

For NEM pockets I use the Bachmann NEM narrow tensionlocks. They come complete with their wedge mounting pockets as well. I use them with the Brian Kirby magnetic tail mod and Bachmann always use non magnetic hooks. They can require quite a lot of pressure to click over the pivot. If it's a Bachmann pocket and it's particularly tight I pull the pocket out of the wedge, click the hook into place then push the wedge back in. Saves accidentally sending the thing flying across the table if you slip. Despite looking the same Hornby, Dapol and now Oxford hooks are all slightly different lengths to the Bachmann ones. Dapol ones are non magnetic and engage OK with Bachy ones, Hornby are longer and either get stuck under the buffer beam or go over the side, then give problems on curves. I wish they would all stop playing "Mine's not a copy of yours" and just use the same design.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:02 pm

I've had issues with Dapol and Replica tension lock hooks falling off. To some extent this can be cured by squeezing the opening, where the hook pivots on the plastic coupling, with some fine nosed pliers. I've also had some Dapol couplings with quite a bit of flash on the plastic mouldings.

Some of the Replica couplings seem to have thinner metal hooks, which causes them to flop around when they come into contact with uncoupling ramps, rather than lifting up. Hornby couplings, especially the ex Dapol pattern ones, seem to be of better quality and I'm now sticking with them.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:18 am

Bufferstop wrote:...Despite looking the same Hornby, Dapol and now Oxford hooks are all slightly different lengths to the Bachmann ones...

Yes, and the way to running reliability is to fix on using just one. I went with Bachmann's because I have more of their wagons than all the rest put together, so it was the cheapest route. I do an exchange of any Hornby type with two friends who have standardised on their pattern, getting in return any Bachmann couplers they acquire on their purchases, which helps on the economy front.

Return to “Dapol”