Dapol semaphore signals

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
chrismartin

Dapol semaphore signals

Post by chrismartin »

I recently bought an OO gauge GWR home signal. It worked perfectly on a dedicated 16V ac supply. I installed it on my layout and connected it to the 16V ac supply that also powers the point solenoids. After the first operation of a point solenoid the signal died. I contacted Dapol and their comeback was to ask if I was using a CDU (which I don't) and that the signal was not repairable. Obviously a power spike when the point operated destroyed the electronics in the signal. There was no mention in the paperwork that you shouldn't connect up this way. The moral is - don't do what I did and use a dedicated supply for the signal although I presume if you use a DCC module you won't have these problems. Having dismantled the base, it looks to be possible to modify the signal to be cable-operated, so all may not be lost.
Pennine MC

Re: Dapol semaphore signals

Post by Pennine MC »

There is a thread as long as your arm about these signals on Rmweb, and I think much of it is about assorted faults. Don't know if any of it will help.
RFS

Post by RFS »

22 pages of discussion on these on RMWeb - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ls-review/

I would definitely consider the signal faulty and return it to where you bought it from for either a refund or replacement.
Robert Smith
chrismartin

Post by chrismartin »

Thanks for the feedback - I'm new to this and unfortunately I wasn't aware of RMWeb.
Chris
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

chrismartin wrote:Thanks for the feedback - I'm new to this and unfortunately I wasn't aware of RMWeb.
Chris
Lucky you... 8)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Yeah, don't dare criticise anyone or anything if you join. Don't get in to any debates and don't pass anything but grovelling comments or you'll find yourself being censored.
Pete.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Or, indeed, do anything a different way to the majority, as it will be WRONG!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

Peterm wrote:Yeah, don't dare criticise anyone or anything if you join.
Except Hornby. Hornby bashing is ok. In fact, criticising quite a lot of people is ok, usually ones who aren't there to have a right of reply. But I'll stop now.

Don't worry about the signal, we've all been there. See if you can get a refund and try again, if not, you appear to have the proper* modeller's attitude of "Damn it I'll make it work".

(*As in the proper attitude for a modeller - not the attitude of a 'proper modeller'. Let's not start the debate about 'proper modellers' here, I'll leave that to the other place as well).
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I'd be far more enthusiastic about the Dapol signals if they required different conditions to set on or off. Press-on,press-off control is a menace anywhere
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

I thought the Dapol Semaphore signals need a momentary switch? (On)-Off type. Or is that what you mean BS?
So you press and release the non locking push to make Push Button for the signal to drive to the Off (Cleared) position, then press and release again on the same PB to return the signal to its On position. Or can be worked by a Hornby R044 Black lever or Peco PL26 lever with both the levers output connections linked together on the PL26.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

No not my best description, just a single pulse switches it both ways. Like the standby button on most TV remotes, doesn't seem to default to danger at power on either.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Rich123

Post by Rich123 »

I experienced problems with some of my Dapol signals failing quickly. I contacted Gaugemaster and they recommended using a 12V DC supply. I changed the signal power to their GMC-WM4 plug in transformer and have not experienced any problems for some time, but I don't get the backlit spectacles.

I am awaiting the Dapol GWR gantry signal. I tried to contact Dapol about it but got no reply. A friend suggested contacting the model railway press, which I did. I got a reply from Key Publishing that said they had contacted Dapol who advised "The bracket signals are now in tooling and we expect to have product out to market later this year or early next year.”
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I wish I could remember what Adrian of Rail Room Electronics said about them.
I believe it was ONLY use 12V DC, but as I've had a couple fail I'm not buying any more.

Geoff T.
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

If the spectacle light does not come on you have the polarity wrong on the red and black wires.
Rich123

Post by Rich123 »

I have just received a newsletter from Hatton's. They have given reference numbers for three motorised GWR junction bracket signals. One is a two arm left hand junction bracket and the others are left and right hand single brackets. I hope a two arm right hand junction bracket will be produced. Can anyone confirm this?