Dapol's Maunsell coaches-thoughts

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
00noob

Dapol's Maunsell coaches-thoughts

Postby 00noob » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:18 pm

OK so my cousin recently bought a couple of Southern Maunsell coaches and the luggage van from Dapol and I'm not sure whether or not they are the best choice for a layout that is very British Rail focussed and I'm also not too sure about the amount of Southern Railways locomotives with separate tenders. I know of the King Arthur as I saw it in the Hornby Magazine's colection of seemingly endless adverts but I don't know of many others. Thoughts welcome

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Dapol's Maunsell coaches-thoughts

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:02 pm

00noob wrote:OK so my cousin recently bought a couple of Southern Maunsell coaches and the luggage van from Dapol and I'm not sure whether or not they are the best choice for a layout that is very British Rail focussed and I'm also not too sure about the amount of Southern Railways locomotives with separate tenders. I know of the King Arthur as I saw it in the Hornby Magazine's colection of seemingly endless adverts but I don't know of many others. Thoughts welcome

Are we in OO, as Dapol recently released the beautiful Maunsell coaches in N, but judging by your username I imagined you'd be working in OO? They probably wouldn't be seen in BR times in that livery, they might be in either BR regional colours or potentially Bulleid's livery, but doubtful the lovely olive livery those carry would have made it into BR times. If we are in N, I know there was a schools class announced by Dapol, but I think that's gone quiet. I've seen some N classes around too.

If in OO then there's loads of choice.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Bigmet

Re: Dapol's Maunsell coaches-thoughts

Postby Bigmet » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:03 pm

The location and date range of whatever is the period of interest during BR operations are the main determinants. BR necessarily operated with the inherited stock, both the 3rd rail trams and steam power in the case of the Southern, for a good dozen and more years from formation of BR in 1948.

BR(S) started out with roughly 1800 steamers in 1948, and entered 1960 with just under a 1000 on the books, at which time three quarters were tender locos, probably mostly from somewhat over a dozen more numerous classes (MN, WC&BB, LN, C, D1, L1, N, N15, Q, Q1, S15, T9, V, 700 are what come to mind) so there's still a lot of steam tender loco variety that late on. In OO (bolded) most of these either have models, or a model announced.

Maunsell's coaches will have been steadily whittled down in numbers as the BR mk1 replacements built up. There was a real purge in the early sixties as the network shrank, to eliminate the grouping ( and earlier!) coach stock.

Complete exception to the rest of SR, the Isle of Wight. Operated with the most ancient and eclectic collection imaginable. Tank engines and ex LT tube trains....

Return to “Dapol”